Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Egg challah recipe

motheroftoo

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 11:52 am
Hi,
I am trying to find a recipe for egg challah.
Anyone have one and minds to share?
Thank you

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 11:58 am
5 lb flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
6 3/4 tsp active dry yeast (5 packets)
4 cups water
5 eggs
1 heaping tsp salt

I put all ingredients into my mixer (magic mill) and let it run for about 5 minutes till well mixed. I then let it sit in the bowl for about 10 minutes. I turn it on to re-knead for another 5 minutes.

I then pour a little oil onto the dough and roll it around so dough is well-oiled. Cover with towel and let rise for about an hour, till it's filling up the bowl.

Punch dough down, divide and braid (I usually make 8 medium Challahs). I roll out each piece of dough pie-crust style, and roll up (Tamar Ansh method) into a roll. Braid and put into parchment-paper-covered Challah pans. Allow to rise for 30-40 minutes. Brush with beaten egg/sugar mixture, sprinkle desired toppings (everything topping, sesame seeds, whatever you like). Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes till golden brown. Remove from pans, cool. I freeze in Challah bags and heat for Shabbos.

motheroftoo

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 12:01 pm
Would this get close to the bakery egg challah results?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads