Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How young?

miami85

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 2:08 pm
Have you gotten an ADHD diagnosis and started medication?

It's been 2 days into summer vacation and I don't think my 4.5 year-old has left me alone, unless he was on his tablet, for more than 5 minutes.

I have another child on ADHD meds.

Any coincidence that this morning both of them were the ones in and out of my bedroom while I was sleeping, all my other kids were busy with playing and doing other things.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 2:37 pm
Hi,
I was told that children from as young as four can be evaluated and diagnosed.
We're currently right at the beginning of the process with my just turned 4 year old.
Good luck!

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 2:41 pm
miami85 wrote:
Have you gotten an ADHD diagnosis and started medication?

It's been 2 days into summer vacation and I don't think my 4.5 year-old has left me alone, unless he was on his tablet, for more than 5 minutes.

I have another child on ADHD meds.

Any coincidence that this morning both of them were the ones in and out of my bedroom while I was sleeping, all my other kids were busy with playing and doing other things.

My son was diagnosed at 2.5, but he needed to be rediagnosed before getting meds. At the time (he’s 15 now) I was told they don’t usually give meds before 5, not sure the age now.
I totally feel your pain. I have two other kids who definitely have adhd. One is seriously hyperactive, and one is inattentive and disorganized. The first one keeps me on my toes, the second one talks ALL DAY LONG. At this point I don’t think either would benefit from meds, but my husband is so traumatized from our older one that he won’t even hear that the other two have issues. I had to have the school call a meeting for one of them, and he still doesn’t want to hear it.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 2:44 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
My son was diagnosed at 2.5, but he needed to be rediagnosed before getting meds. At the time (he’s 15 now) I was told they don’t usually give meds before 5, not sure the age now.
I totally feel your pain. I have two other kids who definitely have adhd. One is seriously hyperactive, and one is inattentive and disorganized. The first one keeps me on my toes, the second one talks ALL DAY LONG. At this point I don’t think either would benefit from meds, but my husband is so traumatized from our older one that he won’t even hear that the other two have issues. I had to have the school call a meeting for one of them, and he still doesn’t want to hear it.

this is my darling 4 year old. I am not certain that she had add, but the school have voiced their concerns and I know exactly what they're talking about.
The dr recomended that we first do a hearing test to make sure that she can hear, (and that it's not her hearing which is causing all of the above) and we'll go on from there.
She's my oldest and I can't think about the fact that she may just be branded for life with a label.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:03 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
this is my darling 4 year old. I am not certain that she had add, but the school have voiced their concerns and I know exactly what they're talking about.
The dr recomended that we first do a hearing test to make sure that she can hear, (and that it's not her hearing which is causing all of the above) and we'll go on from there.
She's my oldest and I can't think about the fact that she may just be branded for life with a label.
Add and adhd can be reversed or at least significantly healed if you address root causes.

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:08 pm
My oldest was medicated at 5 and a few months with a non stimulant. We were told its ideal to start a stimulant after age 6. So some will start with guanfacine also called tenex or intunive if the behavior is really problematic and nothing else is helping.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)