Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby weaning, baby won’t eat!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 1:24 am
My baby is 7 months old.
I started giving him baby cereal and baby food jars at 6 months but he would barely take more than 2 spoons and made a grossed out face each time. Every time I try he just doesn’t want it. I am a first time mother and just heard a little but about this whole weaning method. I am not so familiar with it but as far as I am aware it’s giving baby safe but whole peices a of food and let him eat himself. I have tried bananas avocado and vegetables from Chicken soup but he doesn’t like it and won’t eat it. The only thing he will eat is bamba and only when he can bite it not when it’s smushed up because I think it’s soothing for his teething to bite it. I feel like I ruined my chances by trying to force him to eat when he didn’t want and now he won’t eat. I feel like other babies at this age are eating way more and I don’t know what my next step should be.
Did anyone else have this problem? What did you do?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 1:36 am
Nothing to Worry about. Wait A few days and try again.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 1:36 am
Maybe he's not ready to eat on a significant scale yet? Some babies take more time. Keep offering. Not long after a milk feeding, and focusing on finger length pieces of food of different textures. Even if he plays with it and puts it in his mouth a little that's something.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:50 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Maybe he's not ready to eat on a significant scale yet? Some babies take more time. Keep offering. Not long after a milk feeding, and focusing on finger length pieces of food of different textures. Even if he plays with it and puts it in his mouth a little that's something.

This. I did baby led weaning starting around 6.5-7 months and my LO just took a few bites/played with her food until about 11 months. She's now 14 months and eats 3 meals a day.

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 6:59 am
There is a learning curve. Most babies play with the food for a bit before they can eat it properly. I would keep offering many types of goods. Just put it on the tray and let him figure out what he likes. Then you can give him his favorites with new foods.

DVOM

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:02 am
No need to worry, just keep trying!! At 7 months, eating is about exploration and being part of your family mealtimes. Don't worry about how much your kid actually eats. Just put her in her highchair when the rest of the fam is eating and give her a bit of whatever your eating to try. She's going to enjoy copying you and playing with her food. Eventually preferences will emerge.

My 11 month old loves scrambled eggs, salmon, Ezekiel toast with peanut butter, chulant, London broil, baked sweet potatoe fries, pizza. She pretty much eats (or at least plays with!) whatever we eat.

DVOM

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:03 am
No need to worry, just keep trying!! At 7 months, eating is about exploration and being part of your family mealtimes. Don't worry about how much your kid actually eats. Just put her in her highchair when the rest of the fam is eating and give her a bit of whatever your eating to try. She's going to enjoy copying you and playing with her food. Eventually preferences will emerge.

My 11 month old loves scrambled eggs, salmon, Ezekiel toast with peanut butter, chulant, London broil, baked sweet potatoe fries, pizza. She pretty much eats (or at least plays with!) whatever we eat.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:30 am
DVOM wrote:

I'm in the same boat as OP (expect my baby is 8 months)

Would you give all those foods you mentioned with all the spices and salt that you put in for the rest of the family?

That's what I'm not yet clear on about sharing what the rest of the family is eating. Whether or not it's healthy to give them with salt, oil and spices.

Thanks

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:32 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Would you give all those foods you mentioned with all the spices and salt that you put in for the rest of the family?

That's what I'm not yet clear on about sharing what the rest of the family is eating. Whether or not it's healthy to give them with salt, oil and spices.

Thanks

Spices and oil are totally fine. Salt I would try to watch they aren’t supposed to have too much sodium at that age.

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:40 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:

Thanks

I think it is important for young children to be exposed to different spices, flavors and textures to give them a wider range of foods to eat. My oldest I gave a much narrower selection of foods and she is my fussiest eater. (I'm not saying that it's always true, but it increases the chances if they get a range from the beginning).
The only one to be more wary of is too much salt as young baby can't tolerate too much, but I just add the salt later.
And as others have said, it's about exposure and exploring. At this stage, most of their nutrients are from milk, but they're learning to explore different foods. My youngest wasn't interested in purees etc and just went straight to real food. Just put some food on their highchair at the same time as you're eating and let them play with the food.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 9:25 am
I’m glad to know I am not in this alone, this is all so helpful to hear!

Do you have more ideas of safe foods I can put in front of him?
I didn’t think about giving him proteins yet, those are ok?

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 9:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m glad to know I am not in this alone, this is all so helpful to hear!

Do you have more ideas of safe foods I can put in front of him?
I didn’t think about giving him proteins yet, those are ok?

All protein is great for that age. Cut finger length strips cook it regular don’t make it mushy. My babies loved strips of omelette, baked chicken, schnitzel, fish sticks, cut up meatballs etc..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 9:29 am
BrisketBoss wrote:

I’m so relieved to hear!
Would he be interested after a milk feeding when he is already full?

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 11:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m so relieved to hear!
Would he be interested after a milk feeding when he is already full?

You don't do it right after, but about half a hour later because they are supposed to be getting most of their nutrition from milk anyway at this young age. You can gradually expand the wait time or just do what feels right. If you wait too long then one issue is the baby might be frustrated by hunger and feel less like learning and exploring with the solids.

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 1:15 pm
Just an FYI, hopefully it’ll make you feel better.
If you put all the baby food / cereal my daughter actually swallowed, back in a jar, you would be lucky if you could fill five baby food jars.
She is currently 21 years old,-a size 4 has no eating or food issues and is B”H healthy. She has a great job B”YH and is soon to be a Kallah I”YH.
She really did not eat anything I fed her, she preferred to graze off of my plate with finger foods she could feed herself (yes, I had a plate full of tiny pieces of chicken, I ate quartered grapes and all my food was cut into baby size when she was one or she would have picked the big pieces)
It will pass in the blink of an eye. Enjoy your baby!

gootlfriends

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 1:26 pm
I only had one child eat food before 8 months and that one is now my pickiest eater. My baby who didn't eat until 10 months eats almost everything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics