Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Specialized school to try to save my child?

LALA2

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 10:28 am
Are there special boarding schools for defiant unconrollable 12 yo in NYC area? I feel like I have to send my son away to a rigorous/warm place to save him and my family, he is very smart but ADHD and all over the place

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 10:33 am
Did you look into Ohr Dovid?
My child was transformed after we switched him into that school. It's an elementary school for children with social emotional behavioral problems and NOT learning disabilities

LALA2

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 11:07 am
Can you tell me more about Ohr Dovid? Would it be too late to switch in 7th grade? I wonder if it would do him more harm at tgis point to associate with other ODD kids?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 11:53 am
Are you davka looking for frum schools?
Otherwise open a case with DOE and see if any of the schools meet your sons IEP
https://www.p12.nysed.gov/spec.....D.htm

LALA2

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 12:06 pm
I need a frum school...he would go nuts if its not frum

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:37 pm
Could this be helpful?

https://diamondprogram.org/

I don't have experience with the program- I saw an ad for it a long time ago.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:39 pm
Diamond Program is reward based. OP does your son have PDA?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:40 pm
Look into camp xtreme

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:58 pm
LALA2 wrote:
Can you tell me more about Ohr Dovid? Would it be too late to switch in 7th grade? I wonder if it would do him more harm at tgis point to associate with other ODD kids?

My son started there at 6th grade although he sounds very tame compared to yours. Everything is incentivised and they only take kids who they think would "buy into" the system they have. Therefore, everything is very much under control there in a natural way. There aren't constant major outbursts or struggles as far as I can tell. The kids there are happy to be there and try hard. Not saying kids don't misbehave but in general school is now a positive experience. It's a frum yeshiva and the staff is so caring, it's very much a team effort- including the students. If you believe your son would be motivated by points/treats/prizes this may work for him

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 11:18 am
Ohr Dovid has been a lifesaver for our son, who went in aggressive, explosive, and self-absorbed. Their program is no-nonsense but also very loving and incentivized. They do take boys in at any grade level, however be aware that some boys leave after 7th grade to go to Doresh in Floria. So find out about that before deciding to start in 7th grade.

hazelj18

Post Wed, Sep 28 2022, 6:28 pm
Is there a girls' school equivalent to Ohr Dovid?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)