Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
UPDATE!! Have you had your tonsils out as an adult??
1  2  Next

zoom

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 10:48 am
Please give me feedback.

I am meant to be having them removed next month and I am quite nervous.

What waa your experience like? Recovery? Post op?

My kids have had them out when they were little and bh were ok after 2 weeks...

Thanks so much.

Last edited by zoom on Wed, Jul 20 2022, 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

sandyish

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 11:24 am
I had mine out when I was 20. I found a surgeon in Connecticut who used some sort of cauterizing method that led to a faster recovery and way less pain (he was still covered by my insurance even though I lived in NY). I can check up the name of the method.

It was about 8 years ago so I don’t remember the details but recovery wasn’t too bad. I took liquid tylonel with codeine for pain, other pain medications make me vomit. I was out of commission for a few days. Certain foods were strange to eat even after I healed, like rice- pieces of it sometimes went up my nose, it was strange. That’s gone now.

I got them out because I had recurring strep for basically a year. Despite being on antibiotics my tonsils were still very infected when they were taken out. I haven’t gotten strep since.

Edit: Here is a study on the cauterizing method. It seems like there are pros to both methods, but cauterizing method leads to less pain and faster recovery.

“Postoperative bleeding is significantly higher in the traditional technique compared to cauterization method. Postoperative pain is significantly less in cauterization method. Only a few patients experienced fever, bleeding, and other complications related to anesthesia. The bleeding severity is significantly lower in the cauterization technique. Postoperative pain was less in cauterization technique on day 1 and day 5. Postoperative pain was from mild to severe.

Conclusion:

This study revealed significantly less postoperative complications in traditional tonsillectomy in comparison with the cauterization method. Healing time was significantly faster in cauterization technique than in traditional method.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....6625/

Edit 2: If I remember correctly, cauterization method maybe had higher risk of post op complications but risk was still low, and also I think I remember finding out that that risk was really only higher in young kids who wouldn’t be able to tell their parents if they had pain or bleeding or whatever.

zoom

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:08 pm
Thanks.

Bump, anyone else please??

Fox

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:28 pm
My twin daughters had their tonsils removed at age 18. We went to Dr. Michael Friedman, who will be familiar to Chicagoans. He uses radiofrequency ablation to reduce tonsils.

One daughter's tonsils had become enlarged following a viral infection. They were enormous! Literally "kissing tonsils." Her recovery was about five days, though it might have been shorter if her friends hadn't spent quite so much time visiting.

The other daughter's tonsils were enlarged but less ridiculously so than her sister's. She recovered within a few days.

Here's the procedure that Dr. Friedman developed:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12792327/

zoom

Post Mon, Jun 13 2022, 5:35 pm
Thanks. Sounds quick.
I hope mine will be cos im quite a bit older.

Im not in the US.

zoom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:39 am
Im on day 3 and in a lot of pain.

Any tips?
Besides ice cream, cold.foods etc.
Am on painkillers

Gea

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 1:14 pm
Drink as frequently as possible.
Have a cold (thick if that is easier) drink and keep taking sips every few minutes. Try to avoid the area getting dry as much as possible.
Also if you have significant bleeding go to ER or back to surgeon, if that is an option, right away.
I work in an field where I am incidentally involved with some people who have had this type of surgery and anecdotally I have heard of a few adults who hemorrhage from the area. Not to scare you, but it is a more common risk than in children, so just something to watch out for.

zoom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 2:20 pm
Gea wrote:
Drink as frequently as possible.
Have a cold (thick if that is easier) drink and keep taking sips every few minutes. Try to avoid the area getting dry as much as possible.
Also if you have significant bleeding go to ER or back to surgeon, if that is an option, right away.
I work in an field where I am incidentally involved with some people who have had this type of surgery and anecdotally I have heard of a few adults who hemorrhage from the area. Not to scare you, but it is a more common risk than in children, so just something to watch out for.

Thanks so much!
Im just thinking that when I do drink something thick eg soup , milkshake it goes down easier then water, I thought that was strange...couldnt make connection.

I keep thinking Im getting better and then earlier I had some water and felt like I was nearly choking, it was so painful.

When does risk of bleeding go down? Isnt it only for first 24 hours?

Gea

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:00 pm
zoom wrote:
Thanks so much!
Im just thinking that when I do drink something thick eg soup , milkshake it goes down easier then water, I thought that was strange...couldnt make connection.

I keep thinking Im getting better and then earlier I had some water and felt like I was nearly choking, it was so painful.

When does risk of bleeding go down? Isnt it only for first 24 hours?

Many of the cases I have heard of, people bled after 24 hrs. Certainly far less after 72 hrs, but I have heard of it. In the ER most were told to keep the area wet, so I assume dryness also increases the risk (as well as pain). Drinking constant sips (and yeah thick will always be easier) has a double purpose.
The general consensus I have heard on recovery has been 1-2 weeks so give yourself time with trying to drink thin liquids again.
It is a hard surgery as an adult, but once it’s all done many people are happy they did it.

zoom

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 6:21 pm
Wow, thanks so much for replying!

Really appreciate your advice.

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Jun 23 2022, 10:05 pm
Refuah sheleima hope your recovery goes smooth and fast ❤️

zoom

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:59 am
Thank you so much!

zoom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:29 am
Im on day 5 and still in a lot of pain.
Still basically in bed all day.

Is this normal?
Also bad pain in my ears at times and when drinking water, as opposed to just general swallowing.

zoom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 9:47 am
Bump, anyone?

My drs closed today but I cant talk on the phone anyway.

Thanks

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 10:50 am
Oy, im sorry to hear about your pain Hug Hug
Are you alternating Tylenol/Motrin with an overlap so you have more coverage on the pain and no gaps?
I have not had my tonsils out- so no personal experience, but I did hear the pain can last a while and get worse about a week in or so- something about the scar tissue I think.

I hope you can get good pain relief.

Can you have someone call your doctors service and speak on your behalf? Or perhaps email and ask if you can get a codeine or some stronger painkiller if regular painkillers aren’t cutting it?

And here’s a fresh virtual smoothie with some ice cream 😉🍦🥤.

Refuah sheleima

zoom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 11:12 am
Sunny Days wrote:
Oy, im sorry to hear about your pain Hug Hug
Are you alternating Tylenol/Motrin with an overlap so you have more coverage on the pain and no gaps?
I have not had my tonsils out- so no personal experience, but I did hear the pain can last a while and get worse about a week in or so- something about the scar tissue I think.

I hope you can get good pain relief.

Can you have someone call your doctors service and speak on your behalf? Or perhaps email and ask if you can get a codeine or some stronger painkiller if regular painkillers aren’t cutting it?

And here’s a fresh virtual smoothie with some ice cream 😉🍦🥤.

Refuah sheleima

Thank you so much!

Just on regular paracetml now round the clock.
I had a bad reaction to ibuprofen which I was taking on no food. Not sure how to combat that?
And had a milkshake then aswel, so I wont be touching any more of that for now.

I have codeine but find it makes me nauseous, headachey (?)
(Or maybe just cos Im not eating) so trying to take just before bed, or only one in the day.

I think I will call dr in morning either way.
I feel like Im really not progressing. Sad

Gea

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 12:08 pm
zoom wrote:
Thank you so much!

Just on regular paracetml now round the clock.
I had a bad reaction to ibuprofen which I was taking on no food. Not sure how to combat that?
And had a milkshake then aswel, so I wont be touching any more of that for now.

I have codeine but find it makes me nauseous, headachey (?)
(Or maybe just cos Im not eating) so trying to take just before bed, or only one in the day.

I think I will call dr in morning either way.
I feel like Im really not progressing. Sad

It sounds to me like the pain you are experiencing is too much for just Paracetamol. Perhaps try the Codeine again and once you have good pain control try to drink/eat more thickened liquid food/drink? That is assuming the Codeine just made you feel a little ill, and you didn’t have a genuine reaction like you said you did with Ibuprofen. It is also assuming that it only made you slightly nauseous - the last thing you want to do just having had your tonsils out is vomit. There is a reason the surgeon prescribed Codeine - because most people need it. Of course there are some people who can manage without, but from what you are describing it sounds like you are getting into a vicious cycle of too much pain, not consuming enough. You need to break that cycle and once you are consuming more (and your body gets used to the Codeine) you’ll likely get less side effects. I’m not speaking about the Ibuprofen as you didn’t describe the bad reaction, and if you possibly have an actual allergy/sensitivity to it then you should not be taking it (that can be addressed with your regular doctor at a later time). Also Codeine is much more effective for high pain anyway and likely what you should be on.
Only taking Paracetamol it does not surprise me that you are in such pain still at 5 days.
I really think you need to get the pain/not consuming cycle under control and will then start feeling a lot better.
If you don’t have any contraindications you could also take an anti-nausea medication if the Codeine initially makes you nauseated. Just make sure you are resting and not needed to care for children or anything, as together the 2 will probably make you very woozy. Also you can probably stop the anti-nausea med after a few doses of the Codeine as your body adapts, as I mentioned above.
For now it is probably wise to take the Codeine around the clock as it was prescribed.
Once you are feeling much better you can start extending the time between doses if the pain is not returning.
Of course you should also follow up with your surgeon tomorrow to confirm recovery is as anticipated. None of the above is medical advice, just ideas based on what you wrote.
Also the ears and throat are connected so it would make sense that you could have ear pain. I would also confirm with the surgeon that is normal though.
Finally I would stop trying the thin liquids (I.e water) for a few more days. Stick with thickened liquids/liquified thickened food for now until it feels much better.
Refuah Shleimah!

dinglehopper

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 12:26 pm
I had mine out as an adult and honestly, it was awful. I think it was a full ten days until I was human. I didn't eat for ten days. Just broth and ice pops. By two weeks I was back to work and mostly fine. Hang in there and definitely call your doctor tomorrow.

zoom

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 12:52 pm
Wow Bingo! Finally found someone who has had it too! Thank you! It really isnt pleasant.

Thank you so much 'gea for taking the time to write.
On friday I had a full milkshake(which went down v nicely) and had 2 doses of ibuprofen throughout the day on an empty stomach, and right before shabbos had terrible diarrhea, really painful, sweating and abs horrible.
Took loperamide and basically didnt eat rest of the the day.

Not sure what else to eat in terms of thick liquids. Def not milkshakes now.
I have a few crackers when it feels a bit better , and sorbet which soothes as it goes down( but thats it) . Really cant fathom eating anything else.

The codeine I have is 30 mg and says can take 2, but I only take 2 before bed.
Is this normal dosage? As in would 30mg help in the day??
Also is nausea even a side effect?

I honestly dont know what helps and what doesnt.
Really feeling nauseous and just plain awful.
Im really not like this usually, I wish I could just pull myself together.

Really appreciate everyone who is responding.
Its so lonely when you cant talk.

zoom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 6:09 am
Hi, just an update.

Iv been prescribed tramadol which is an alternative to codeine. (Anyone tried this?)
Really hope this agrees with me.

Was up for hours after taking codeine last night.

Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics