Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Food Boxes
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 3:20 pm
Are they restarting or is that just a rumor?!

Ellie7

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 4:14 pm
I don’t know why this is in the healthy cooking forum since most of the food in the boxes is junk. But I’m still getting boxes, if that means anything to you. It probably would help if you specified a location.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 4:22 pm
Every location is different. Los Angeles started getting kosher boxes way after NY/NJ but never stopped (unless their school offered lunches through the program. Most yeshivas here dont offer hot lunch and/or charged separately for it. Yavneh and I think Hillel started giving free lunch through the program so those families arent eligible to get boxes for those kids).

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 4:25 pm
Where I live, we are still getting them.

I find it funny that you put this under healthy cooking! As much as I'm happy to still get them, I cant wait till it stops so that I will have to start cooking healthy for my kids- not all these frozen processed carby, fatty stuff!

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:21 pm
I heard from someone who has inside information that they may be restarting in NJ. Apparently they’re waiting for some laws to be passed.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:26 pm
Which places stopped giving? I know Chicago used to give Kiwi kids boxes, but that stopped this winter. I thought it was only Illinois. Any other places also stopped?

Are there any places in Crown Heights that give now? My husband is coming with the kids this summer and it would be nice to have most meals taken care of.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:33 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Which places stopped giving? I know Chicago used to give Kiwi kids boxes, but that stopped this winter. I thought it was only Illinois. Any other places also stopped?

Are there any places in Crown Heights that give now? My husband is coming with the kids this summer and it would be nice to have most meals taken care of.

Chicago stopped? LA always got kiwikids from chicago and we're still getting.

NY and NJ stopped a long time ago.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:37 pm
Chicago had a waiver from the state because the schools could not provide hot lunch for logistical reasons. In the spring, the waiver ended.

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 5:38 pm
Lots of the day camps in my (Ny) area do their lunch through the program. Not even sure they tell the parents t

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 7:47 pm
Any places in Crown Heights still giving boxes or daily meals?

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 11:24 pm
I had no idea places were still giving food boxes. Where is the funding coming from?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 11:29 pm
In NYC, they are giving out breakfast and lunch in the summer starting June 28 for kids under 18 at select libraries, parks, pools, and public schools. While some of the food may be OU (like cereal and milk), if people want Kosher food to be given out as well like they did during covid then they should ask the mayor for it or reach out to your local politicians to arrange it.

https://www.schools.nyc.gov/sc.....meals

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 12:41 am
Here in Baltimore it just stopped.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 12:45 am
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
I had no idea places were still giving food boxes. Where is the funding coming from?

Taxes, I'd assume.

I also did not know those food boxes were still a thing in the US. Sounds nuts to me.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:26 am
DrMom wrote:
Taxes, I'd assume.

I also did not know those food boxes were still a thing in the US. Sounds nuts to me.

Los Angeles gets it through Chicago but Chicago stopped their boxes. I think CA had expanded the free school lunch program to more than those kids who qualified for free lunches. So those yeshivas that do not give out free hot lunches through the program can have their students get boxes.
There is only one time/place to get it and the food can be so random and strange (how much grape juice do we need?!? And why does it have to be the regular vs the light type? Same cost and "fruit content" which is how we get it but so much less sugar). But I am not complaining. Yes some of the food is junky but I am so grateful for the boxes. It really helps with our food costs these days.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 4:36 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Los Angeles gets it through Chicago but Chicago stopped their boxes.

Why is Chicago funding LA's food boxes? Are they trading it for something else?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:09 am
DrMom wrote:
Why is Chicago funding LA's food boxes? Are they trading it for something else?

No...LA is using their money from California to buy the food from Chicago.

After the initial COVID food program federal funding expired, many states had a surplus of money and could choose to use how it would be spent. Whether grants to school lunch programs, continuation of boxes through various programs (switched from seamless summer to after school/day care program for example, or got a waiver for the lunch program not served in school to be done remotely through boxes), each state had their own way. Especially if some states started later due to not getting their act together at the beginning, their funding might not have run out.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:10 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Here in Baltimore it just stopped.

Two pickups stopped. Tomorrows the last day for seven miles.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:18 am
Some places may be restarting soon as congress just renewed parts. Still needs to be in final approval state.
It's still unclear how it'll work with the new rules, but many places may get Summer boxes.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:51 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Los Angeles gets it through Chicago but Chicago stopped their boxes. I think CA had expanded the free school lunch program to more than those kids who qualified for free lunches. So those yeshivas that do not give out free hot lunches through the program can have their students get boxes.
There is only one time/place to get it and the food can be so random and strange (how much grape juice do we need?!? And why does it have to be the regular vs the light type? Same cost and "fruit content" which is how we get it but so much less sugar). But I am not complaining. Yes some of the food is junky but I am so grateful for the boxes. It really helps with our food costs these days.

What's wrong with grape juice? Confused I don't know what you make kiddush on but IMHO it's a true staple item in jewish households.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking