Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Disadvantages of starting a youtube channel?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:31 am
What would be disadvantages of starting a youtube channel, given the following?
1. I'm not trying to make money. If, one day, I do, then I could use it to improve the quality of the videos, but it's not my goal.
2. The theme would be cooking, saving money... I guess household ideas, tips, methods. But all kosher. So no saving money by buying $2 chicken cutlets at walmart.
3. My goal would be to have fun making the videos, and to help a small number of people. If at least 10 people watched each video (even if they're all my family) then I'd be happy to continue.
4. I wouldn't include personal info or faces. My voice would be in it, and my hands, counters, table, fridge-things like that.
5. I'm not going for professional quality, since I'm just doing it for fun. Think phone camera and microphone on a little tripod, with a bit of extra background light, and using free basic editing software from my computer.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:34 am
Cons:

It’s more time consuming than you think
Tznius factor with sharing TMI

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:43 am
Getting your kids kicked out of schools lol...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:48 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Cons:

It’s more time consuming than you think
Tznius factor with sharing TMI

I can always do it less often. Like if I want to do it once a week, but it takes 4x as long as I thought, I can do once a month. Not an issue, if I just want 10 people I know to watch it.
sharing too much is a good thing to be aware of. I'd have to remain conscious as I go along.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:50 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Getting your kids kicked out of schools lol...

I don't think this would be an issue with my kids' schools. It may or may not be an issue if my kids were actually in the videos, but that's not relevant.

PSmommy

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:09 am
I would be interested in watching it.

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:12 am
In todays world, where people have short attention spans and there is something more interesting just click away, your videos would need a strong pull factor in order to keep anyone watching for more than the first 30 seconds.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:36 pm
I asked a shailah and was told it's fine to do it as a hobby, but I shouldn't include any identifying details or me/my family in the videos. That's fine, since I was planning it that way anyway. The annoying thing is that I was told that I can't TELL anyone about it, in order not to encourage people to go online/on YouTube. So if you find it yourself somehow, enjoy Smile
I have been doing it for a few weeks now, and I'm enjoying it.

PSmommy

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
I asked a shailah and was told it's fine to do it as a hobby, but I shouldn't include any identifying details or me/my family in the videos. That's fine, since I was planning it that way anyway. The annoying thing is that I was told that I can't TELL anyone about it, in order not to encourage people to go online/on YouTube. So if you find it yourself somehow, enjoy Smile
I have been doing it for a few weeks now, and I'm enjoying it.

Oh wow! Hatzlacha!!!
What's your channel called?

sequoia

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
The annoying thing is that I was told that I can't TELL anyone about it, in order not to encourage people to go online/on YouTube.

We’re there already.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:41 pm
You have to give us a clue! It sounds like so much fun if you're enjoying it. People on this site or online anyway so can't see why telling them about a cooking show would be a problem.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 1:51 pm
Yeah, I asked my husband to go back and ask the Rav if I can tell people who are online already (ie here) or at least people who specifically ask, since they are obviously using youtube already. If I'm told that's okay, then I'll post a link.
If you found it, you'd know it's a kosher food-related channel. Like I said in my OP, it's just short videos that I take on my phone (haven't even bought a tripod yet, so I just balance it on some container or bottle on my counter Surprised ) so don't have super high expectations Very Happy

advocate

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 2:00 pm
One option would be to make a private channel, so only people who had the link would be able to watch it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 2:08 pm
advocate wrote:
One option would be to make a private channel, so only people who had the link would be able to watch it.

Making the videos private would be an option, but how would it help? That would just mean 0 people can watch it, since no one can find it on their own and I'm not allowed to the links.

Cookin4days

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 2:29 pm
Wow Op hope your Rav lets you post a link would love to watch!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jul 12 2023, 12:34 am
Bumping
OP, can you share a link to your channel?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics