Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sinks and counters

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 12:32 pm
We're redoing our kitchen and would like others' opinions on sinks and countertop materials.

For sinks, is stainless steel the best? Has anyone used Corian? Can that be kashered?

What countertops do you recommend from a practical perspective and kashrus perspective too.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 1:14 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We're redoing our kitchen and would like others' opinions on sinks and countertop materials.

For sinks, is stainless steel the best? Has anyone used Corian? Can that be kashered?

According to Star-K, Corian cannot be kashered unless you sand off the top layer. This is possible for a counter but does not sound practical for a sink. So for sinks look at stainless steel. If you can afford it and love the look, copper is another option.

amother [ OP ] wrote:
What countertops do you recommend from a practical perspective and kashrus perspective too.

Again according to Star-K, granite and quartzite (natural stone slices of mountains) can be kashered, but engineered quartz (mashed up quartz held together with resins) cannot. Other kashrus agencies hold that both can be kashered.

They both have advantages and pitfalls. When I sell cabinets to local kitchen design clients, I take them to a granite yard where I have a relationship the the manager so that he will give me honest answers about individual slabs.

Another countertop to consider, especially for islands and cutting surfaces, is wood. Best for islands or as a prep area insert. Wood can be kashered, although if you use your wood counter for chopping vegetables you have to sand it down below the scratch marks.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 3:24 pm
Be careful if you are purchasing quartzite because many times marble is passed off as quartzite and marble is lovely but isn't as durable as quartzite. Real quartzite is more expensive than most marble.

I have a copper sink with a living finish and I love it but it goes with the style of my kitchen which was inspired by Craftsman architecture. I love how the patina changes as different substances remove the patina and then it starts changing again as it oxidizes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen