Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Which big Instagram accounts decided to delete? List them!
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 12:18 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
Why the negative thinking?

Anything a person does for the honour of Hashem and for a higher purpose is to be commended.

I don't understand why ppl need to feel so triggered when a woman makes a decision to go about her business promotions in a more kosher and cleaner manner.

Can someone explain the reason why this is triggering for some ppl?

Sort of reminds me a bit of a few decades ago when some yidden decided to keep their stores closed on shabbos, and the flack and scorn they would get from others. Human nature.

(And no, I am NOT saying its the same thing, but similar)

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 12:40 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Sort of reminds me a bit of a few decades ago when some yidden decided to keep their stores closed on shabbos, and the flack and scorn they would get from others. Human nature.

It is not remotely similar. You equate instagram with not keeping shabbas?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 12:53 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:

To play devil's advocate people might say it's using the same emotional muscles.

mamaleh

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 1:24 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:

While chilul Shabbos and having instagram accounts are not at all the same, people’s reactions when others tried to improve themselves with the encouragement of rabbonim is very similar.
People try to make themselves feel better about their own actions by attacking anyone who tries to improve their ruchnius. And they yell about the rabbis who are ‘forcing them into poverty’ by encouraging them to change their business practices.
I don’t have insta (that doesn’t mean I don’t spend too much time on my devices). I didn’t go to the asifa (I can’t sit through speeches that late at night). I truly respect the people who have made changes to their internet usage (whether small changes or big ones- whether private or public) based on the inspiration they got from these rabbonim. I think that claiming they were coerced or that they will lose money/business because they were forced to do this is sooo disrespectful and says a lot more about the people saying it then the people they are talking about.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:06 pm
mamaleh wrote:
While chilul Shabbos and having instagram accounts are not at all the same, people’s reactions when others tried to improve themselves with the encouragement of rabbonim is very similar.
People try to make themselves feel better about their own actions by attacking anyone who tries to improve their ruchnius. And they yell about the rabbis who are ‘forcing them into poverty’ by encouraging them to change their business practices.
I don’t have insta (that doesn’t mean I don’t spend too much time on my devices). I didn’t go to the asifa (I can’t sit through speeches that late at night). I truly respect the people who have made changes to their internet usage (whether small changes or big ones- whether private or public) based on the inspiration they got from these rabbonim. I think that claiming they were coerced or that they will lose money/business because they were forced to do this is sooo disrespectful and says a lot more about the people saying it then the people they are talking about.

And I think some of these people are saying, you know, in the back of my mind I'd thought, I'll get off Insta when I don't need it anymore. And guess what, I've arrived so let me walk the walk.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:30 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

I think it is like shmitta we sacrifice something for hashem and He pays us back plenty!!

ladYdI

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:34 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
I think it is like shmitta we sacrifice something for hashem and He pays us back plenty!!

I like this
And yes Instagram is as nisayon today and it sort of equivalent to what mixed dancing was and stores closing on shabbos was in their time.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:41 pm
ValleyMom wrote:
I dont understand what is happening... can someone explain the background behind this??? You are welcome to DM me.

I think there was an anti internet/smartphone, pro-filter gathering in NJ last week.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 2:58 pm
ladYdI wrote:
I like this
And yes Instagram is as nisayon today and it sort of equivalent to what mixed dancing was and stores closing on shabbos was in their time.

In some ways. But the three aren't perfectly analogous.
Instagram is a tool. People can misuse it and get sucked into stuff they don't want and places they don't want to be.
Mixed dancing is NOT halachically acceptable. But while there's mitzvah kalah kvachamura it's NOT the same as chillul Shabbos.
Once people start equating them, or coming across as if they are, they won't be taken seriously.
Now, if one wants to say, bH these aren't nisyonos anymore but if I want to do something that takes gevurah, I can draw from the same well as my grandparents did re Shabbos, ok, I - and everyone I think - can hear that.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 3:00 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I think there was an anti internet/smartphone, pro-filter gathering in NJ last week.

The idea behind the gathering was to heighten awareness of how technology's invaded our lives and to use it mindfully. Yes, smartphones are a big culprit and there were testimonials about swapping for flip phones, and not crossing lines one's drawn (like YouTube).
And filters were mentioned but in the sense that, we're all past that, right? Having a filter's a starting point, a given.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 3:11 pm
ladYdI wrote:
I like this

Not equivalent. That's actual black and white halacha.
More equivalent would be the campaign for people to get rid of TVs in the 80s, whether bec of possible exposure to inappropriate stuff or time wasting. More hashkafic than halachic.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 3:12 pm
ladYdI wrote:
I like this

But its really not. Shmiras Shabbos is halachah, mixed dancing is assur min hatorah, how does that even relate to instagram? Instagram is assur in which way? Not even a midarabanan.

leilatov1

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:06 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
At least not mine SIL (where fashion meets torah, hadassha grosskopf)

Well luckily she's from Manchester, no asifa there

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 12:27 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
But its really not. Shmiras Shabbos is halachah, mixed dancing is assur min hatorah, how does that even relate to instagram? Instagram is assur in which way? Not even a midarabanan.

I can think of three things off the bat that you can view on Instagram that would be against halacha.

There’s a Gemara in brachos that discusses a man who was warned not to walk down a specific road, because there was a potential for znus. He walked down the road but kept his eyes lowered and said, see! I didn’t fall into temptation. Chazal weren’t impressed and asked why he walked down the road in the first place when there are other roads.

Don’t ever be fully confident in yourself that you can never sin. At the heart of it, I think that’s what the argument between Reb Meir and Bruriah was about.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 1:19 pm
leilatov1 wrote:
Well luckily she's from Manchester, no asifa there

I'm from the UK and there was no asifa here but I made the decision to quit Instagram several weeks ago.

Why do you use the word "luckily"?

leilatov1

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 3:35 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
I'm from the UK and there was no asifa here but I made the decision to quit Instagram several weeks ago.

Why do you use the word "luckily"?

Because that page is really inspirational and fulfilling. If even one person who scrolls mindlessly through Instagram gets a bit of Torah learning or decides to daven by seeing Hadassah story I'm the sure the benefits of being on Instagram for her outweigh anything bad. It's lucky for those of us who follow her and find that her account improves our lives and day.
Kudos for you for getting off Instagram, whilst it's a tremendous time waster I'm not at the level to leave, I do delete the app during school holidays so I can be more present for my children.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational