Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Any *Real* tried and true tricks for lice/nits??? 🕷
Previous  1  2

tweety1

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 8:59 pm
I second the blow drying hair. I was always infested. When I started blow drying my hair the nits and lice disappeared.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 11:52 pm
Lots of conditioner on wet hair and don’t rinse till after you comb with the conditioner still in.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 12:22 am
Rosemary essential oil, nem oil, garlic concentrate. Rub it in the hair in the morning

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 1:57 am
Assy2000 comb. Comb after every shower. I find them the most in the temples.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:49 am
ila wrote:
Ironing the hair also helps a lot

Ironing ruins the hair

ila

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 7:25 pm
You dont need to iron many times, you just do it once and use the other techniques everybody spoke about…

thegiver

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 3:01 am
Assay 2000 lice comb. Spray head lightly with rubbing alcohol first. Do not get into eyes!!!!!! Daily until gone. Also no harm in combing with lice comb inside shower after applying conditioner.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 3:16 am
As my children call it, chicken shampoo.

Rosemary/mint shampoo.
It won’t get rid of the ones you have, but will be a deterrent to getting again. They don’t like the smell (granted neither do my children) but it deters them from setting up home in your head.

Once you have them, crisco, a bit comb, and lots and lots of patience.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 3:23 am
Where do you live? If America, once you get it away it should stay away and if it's going around tell the school. I would use chemicals because it's hopefully not going to repeat so quickly.

If in Israel, different story. I don't like chemicals because I know they'll get reinfected quickly. What I do isn't a remedy but it's easier on my back. I have them take a bath and leave in the conditioner. Then I sit them on the couch and I comb using an Assy 2000. I wipe the comb off with a wipe. I keep repeating until I don't find anything. If I do this for 2 weeks, I'm in good shape.

I will also manually go through their hair, specifically the baby hairs on the front and by the ears and pull out the nits. I don't find the comb does an amazing job with nits. It's more for the bugs.

Also, if I'm lazy and don't want to bathe them, I'll spray their hair with water mixed with conditioner and then I'll comb.

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 3:26 am
DO NOT use all the preventing stuff if you have nits. They will just hatch immune to them.

As soon as a kid has lice, I comb straight after school with ASSY2000 splitting hair in 2 sections and then through all together. Use alot of stay in conditioner spray or anti tangle to keep it easy and painless.
Sometimes I will repeat in the bath with conditioner in.
In the morning I repeat a quick check to make sure any nits that were missed that would have hatched are out.
I use Hedrin protect after they are clear on the daily before school. Really nice fruity smelling repellent.
By then they are usually clear but I will do a quick check the first 1 or 2 days just incase.

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 4:07 am
I live in israel, so combing endlessly is just useless, they came right back from their infested classmates/ neighbours!
The only thing that truly worked for my kids was Hedrin. It kept them away for a nice few months .
Totally worth it.
I saw it on amazon.

yc

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 4:37 am
mayonnaise - smother hair in it cover with a shower cap and leave for 15 minutes or so.
wash out and comb and they should all be dead.

amother
Lightgray

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:26 am
Pentene conditioner works just as well as mayonaise and it is not nearly as yucky

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:44 am
Growing up every summer we went to camp my mother gave us a bottle of rosemary oil to dab behind our ears, neck and forehead. It smelled super strong and I hated it but my siblings and I never got lice ever, even though there were always outbreaks

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 6:51 am
Op, is your question re seeking preventative or to get rid of once there?

If the latter, so a women in my community who has been a checker for years advised very very specifically the product Pantene conditioner, very generously applied to all hair & scalp which effectively smothers them. And then combine through with a very specific nit comb, I can try to find & add link or at least company but not sure if able to. But it's a heavier duty metal comb where the prongs are closer together than a typical nit comb. She taught these 2 things to be effective & that the washing of everything linens etc people do wasn't necessary.

Re prevention, not sure

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:16 am
After 10 months of almost non stop lice, I took my daughter to a professional lice lady just once. We have been lice free for 4 months!

It also helps to braid their hair every day, even better if you put conditioner on the outside to kind of help block lice entry.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 7:56 am
Silicone keeps the hair too smooth for them to hold on. Pantene, but also 'serums' should help.
Heat kills them, hence drying hair with a dryer. Check out this https://airalle.com/airalle/ website that has created a machine to dry out the lice, using heat.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Nov 16 2023, 9:09 am
This thread from June 2022
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics