Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
What's healthiest diet to prevent health problems
Previous  1  2

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:54 am
abc 123 wrote:
Hi
I'm a normal healthy weight and have never been overweight BH. I'm in my mid 30's, 162cm and I'm usually around 56kg when I'm not pregnant. So I do NOT need a weight loss diet. I need a HEALTHY diet. Preferably an affordable healthy diet . Not too expensive.
I never worried too much about healthy eating but I tried to eat a healthy balanced diet most of the time but still ate some junk on Shabbos, yomtov and at simchas.
But recently I had gallstones and BH had surgery to remove the gallstones. While waiting 3 months for surgery I ate a healthy very low fat vegan diet with no nuts no seeds no oils no avocado to prevent painful gallstone attacks.
I suspect that eating unhealthy food caused the gallstones.
I really want to eat healthy from now on to prevent health issues as I get older.
What is the healthiest nutritionally balanced long term diet to prevent diabetes, heart disease, cancer, kidney problems , etc etc.
Some of my aunt's have type 2 diabetes so it runs in my family. My sister had gestational diabetes even though she is NOT overweight.
But there is lots of confusing conflicting information about what is or isn't healthy.
I know added sugar is unhealthy and should be avoided
White refined flour is unhealthy and should be avoided.
Fruit and vegetable are healthy
Legumes are healthy
But some questions I'm confused about ?
Is canola oil ok or unhealthy ? (Is olive oil much healthier?)
Is dairy healthy or not ?
Is red meat healthy or not ?
Is wholewheat healthy (high in fibre) or unhealthy (genetically modified and gluten)?
Is gluten grains healthy or unhealthy?
Are grains healthy or unhealthy? (I mean wholegrains not white refined grains )
Is meat , chicken and eggs healthy or unhealthy?

What's healthier high fat low carb or high carb low fat?
Is vegan healthier?
Is Mediterranean healthier?

Different bodies need different forms of nourishment.

It sounds like you could use a diet that avoids gallstones.

Feel good!

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:55 am
I didn't read all replies, this is what my doctor says:
Avoid meat, chicken is ok, fish is good
Eggs 2-3 a week and as many whites as you want
Handful of nuts good, not more
Use olive oil or canola, minimal
Avoid dairy

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 4:59 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
But there is lots of confusing conflicting information about what is or isn't healthy.

And you will get a lot of conflicting information here too.

I know added sugar is unhealthy and should be avoided

Agree

White refined flour is unhealthy and should be avoided.

Agree

Fruit and vegetable are healthy

Agree

Legumes are healthy

Agree

Is canola oil ok or unhealthy ? (Is olive oil much healthier?)

Oil is not healthy except olive oil. Olive oil is best uncooked. If cooked at low temp.
Today it is believed that the healthiest oils to cook with are coconut, avocodo, and shmaltz.

Is dairy healthy or not ?

Very healthy for baby cows. Dairy is high in hormones and cows who ate unhealthy & unnatural like chicken brains and chocolate against their natural diet, which are the two reasons the cows who produce the milk are not healthy. According to an allergist who I know, if you never eat organic, dairy is the one thing you should. According to the shulchan aruch, milk loses its benefits and becomes bad for you after 24 hours past milking. The additives in dairy products are unhealthy. Like wood sawdust in shredded cheese, sugar & food coloring in yogurt. Butter is an exception, it is the healthiest dairy choice because of its process. Ultra pasteurized dairy is not good either. Cholov yisroel is better than not because most of the sources avoid the hormone injections to the cows ( the purpose is profits btw). Dairy promotes congestion at a cellular level. If you are ever sick avoiding sugar & dairy helps you heal faster. And no, it is not the best source of calcium, there are better sources.

Is red meat healthy or not ?

In moderation, on occasion is okay.

Is wholewheat healthy (high in fibre) or unhealthy (genetically modified and gluten)?

If you are okay with gluten. And wheat is not gmo yet. And depends according to shulchan aruch which says plain bread is healthy but everything else made of it ie pasta is not. But in the US they drench the wheat with heavy pesticides a few days before cutting so the cutting machines have an easier time and it lessens repairs to the machines, those chemicals are unhealthy, robs the body of minerals. But if you are in italy or france it is good. Their process is very different and the gluten and chemicals are not an issue.

Is gluten grains healthy or unhealthy? In plain bread like sourdough, healthy. If you do not have sensitivity to it.

Are grains healthy or unhealthy? (I mean wholegrains not white refined grains )

You meanthe not 5 chametz grains? Healthy

Is meat , chicken and eggs healthy or unhealthy? Chicken & eggs are healthy. Meat in moderation.

What's healthier high fat low carb or high carb low fat?

Major machlokes. Best to go in the middle.

Is vegan healthier?

According to some, not others. Best is in the middle.

Is Mediterranean healthier?

Anything is healthier than American style.

The closer a food is to its natural state of creation, the healthier it is for you.

High fat, dairy, sugar, fried food, dehydration are no good for you regarding prevention of gallstones, High carbs processed gluten & refined sugar as far as diabetes.

"Butter is an exception, it is the healthiest dairy choice because of its process"
why is that?

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 5:11 pm
Whole food plant based. No sugar, no processed foods including oil. nutritionfacts.org is an incredible resource for evidence based nutritional guidance. Check out Dr. Michael Greger

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 5:59 pm
Per Dr. Mercola:

Fat:

NO cheap oils: canola, soy, corn, vegetable, sunflower, safflower

BETTER:

Olive Oil, Avocado Oil

BEST:

Coconut Oil, Butter from grass fed cows, Schmaltz or Tallow (beef fat) from grass fed poultry/cows

Lots of Vegetables, Berries, Stone Fruit (cherries, peaches, plums, nectarines)

Protein:

BEST: Small fish: salmon (wild, not farmed), herring, sardines, mackeral

organic pastured chicken, grass fed beef

eggs

Legumes

Do Low Carb: wheat, rice, corn - very limited

Do Low Sugar

BEST: Intermittant Fasting - fast 12 - 16 hours. like fast between 8 pm - 8 am (12 hr fast)

or skip breakfast (can have a black coffee) and fast from 7 pm - 11 am (16 hr fast)

No Trans Fats (margerine, crisco) Most processed foods contain Trainsfat.

Low Processed Foods - any foods with ingredients. The more ingredients, the worse it is.

Last edited by #BestBubby on Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 7:11 pm
Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants. - Michael Pollan

Avoid processed foods. Don't overeat, stop when satiated, not full. Lots of fruits & veg.

Everything else is fads cycling through. The history of the diet fads cycling through history is fascinating.

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:38 pm

Avoid processed foods. Don't overeat, stop when satiated, not full. Lots of fruits & veg.

Everything else is fads cycling through. The history of the diet fads cycling through history is fascinating.

why did you write this?

what does this mean?

please explain - see below

"Butter is an exception, it is the healthiest dairy choice because of its process "

flmommy

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:05 am
I love the book How Not to Die by Michael Gregor. I know his name was already mentioned. Very well researched and backed up by science.

Reality

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:33 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
why did you write this?

what does this mean?

please explain - see below

"Butter is an exception, it is the healthiest dairy choice because of its process "

It's a title of a book written by Michael Pollan. It's a great read.

He basically says in the book any traditional diet is a healthy diet. The unhealthiest diet is the western diet.

He recommends shopping in the outer aisles of the supermarket only, growing your own garden and cooking your own food.

The one thing that annoyed me was how he disparaged his own eastern European Jewish food heritage.

Jello

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:55 am
I've done the Vegan Before 6 plan by Mark Bittman. It's amazing! I never felt so good in my life. Basically, you eat vegan food all day, avoiding anything with sugar added and processed foods. Figure, oatmeal with nuts and fruit for breakfast, fruit, veg or nuts for snack, whole wheat natural PB sandwich for lunch or a big salad or soup, and then after 6 (or whatever your dinner hour is) you have a regular healthy dinner -- you can have roast chicken with vegetables and potatoes or really anything that's wholesome and not processed. Homemade mac and cheese with broccoli, or whatever. Then you can have dessert, and the next morning it starts again.
I felt full all day and not at all "hangry."
I don't maintain this all year long because I have a hectic schedule and vegan food takes time, but I go on it every year for a few weeks after succos and pesach because I always feel yucky.
Here's a link to the book. I took it out of the library, but it's not hard to follow because the instructions aren't complicated at all.
https://www.amazon.com/VB6-Bef.....psc=1

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:02 am

I wrote to you amother - snowdrop

why butter is an exception because of the way its processed and is extremely healthy?

please explain...

amother
Snowdrop

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:25 am
amother [ Dustypink ] wrote:
I wrote to you amother - snowdrop

why butter is an exception because of the way its processed and is extremely healthy?

please explain...

If you are going to eat dairy, which you do not need to be healthy,

butter is the healthiest/ least unhealthy option. Butter is usually made quickest after milking, without additives, in a natural old fashioned process, is easier to digest.

After butter, real yogurt (most yogurts are not) and real cheese (without garbage like wood shreddings added, or american cheese which is not cheese.
Cheese blocks that you need to slice yourself are usually the most reliable and real food) are easier to digest.

So if you eat dairy stick to that.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:19 pm
Follow Dr Joel furman or dr Michael Gregor. My husband and some of my friends follow them , have lost weight , and greatly improve their numbers. All say they won’t return to previous way of eating. A lot of their recipes are delicious and non followers enjoy them too.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:42 pm
If you are going to eat dairy, which you do not need to be healthy,

butter is the healthiest/ least unhealthy option. Butter is usually made quickest after milking, without additives, in a natural old fashioned process, is easier to digest.

After butter, real yogurt (most yogurts are not) and real cheese (without garbage like wood shreddings added, or american cheese which is not cheese.
Cheese blocks that you need to slice yourself are usually the most reliable and real food) are easier to digest.

So if you eat dairy stick to that.

thanks for replying.

how can I tell if a yogurt is live?

the natural yogurt I eat is made with live dextrorotatory lactic acids and probiotica.

would this be real?

I dont think chevington cheese has garbage addded and their block cheese is probably as healthy as their sliced cheese.

the additives added to the cheeses I eat are e410 and e200 - is that very bad?

I understand what you mean about butter that it has no additives like yogurt and cheese just maybe salt to preserve.

you are very knowledgeable so am I more or less ok with my choice of dairy?

thanks so much for educating!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:52 pm
My doctor is a very big proponent of Whole Foods plant-based diets. I was on this diet for 8 months. Before that I was prehypertensive, high blood sugar and cholesterol. Lost 25 lbs, and my levels are back to normal. And I feel much better overall. But it’s a hard diet!

amother
DarkYellow

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:57 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Follow Dr Joel furman or dr Michael Gregor. My husband and some of my friends follow them , have lost weight , and greatly imp their numbers. All day they won’t return to previous way of eating. A lot of their recipes are delicious and non followers enjoy them too.

I'm not convinced vegan is for everyone. I do follow a WFPB oil free diet 6 days a week. On Shabbos I "cheat" with a small piece of challah and a small portion of chicken or meat. This cheat allows me to stay on target the other 6 days.

In any case, I don't know what THE healthiest diet is, but I am confident it doesn't include processed foods.

gootlfriends

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:28 pm
Unless you have a problem with gluten I don't think it should be out of your diet. And no, canola oil isn't good for you. Nuts and legumes are great. Red meat once or twice a week is fine if you only eat 4 Oz. If you feel hungry, you need to eat more than you are eating. Make sure to eat throughout the day, not just 3 meals.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise