Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Growth Hormone Treatment - pease share
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:18 pm
Hi! I'm Bumping this up because I'm dealing with this now.

I was wondering if the mother that filed a successful external appeal would be willing to pm me or anyone else that was successful getting insurance to cover for ISS

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:26 pm
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
Hi! I'm Bumping this up because I'm dealing with this now.

I was wondering if the mother that filed a successful external appeal would be willing to pm me or anyone else that was successful getting insurance to cover for ISS

I’m not sure if that was me but we did have to file an external appeal for my oldest son with ISS. The doctor’s office works with you and are usually successful. They should be guiding you, you shouldn’t have to do it on your own.
We use Dr Romero in Mount Sinai and are very happy.

It was over ten years ago, he is already done (and is 5’6”) so I don’t remember details.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:40 pm
Thank you for your reply!
I was under the impression that Drs offices will not help with the external review process
Thank you for clarifying that!

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:35 pm
My son is not deficient in growth hormone and all his bloodwork came back normal. The doctor says he wouldn’t benefit from taking growth hormone. Is this true?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:40 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
My son is not deficient in growth hormone and all his bloodwork came back normal. The doctor says he wouldn’t benefit from taking growth hormone. Is this true?

Yes.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:48 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. All these people that I keep hearing about giving their kids gh all their kids are deficient?! My kids tests and blood work also came back normal so I assumed it means they won't benefit from gh.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 11:09 pm
If your child is not extremely short but is just on the shorter side and there is no gh deficiency most drs won’t recommend it
However in instances where a child is extremely short (I think it’s below the 3rd percentile) it’s recommended and FDA approved

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:12 am
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
If your child is not extremely short but is just on the shorter side and there is no gh deficiency most drs won’t recommend it
However in instances where a child is extremely short (I think it’s below the 3rd percentile) it’s recommended and FDA approved

My child is extremely short but the doctor won’t recommend it because he says he would only gain maybe an inch and insurance wouldn’t cover it anyway

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I might need to work on my inner self, but I’m a bit worried about people, specifically my in laws, knowing about this.

Not about judgement. But they’d be very upset over this, and that’s an understatement. And everything then becomes a whole family drama with everyone ganging up on me with their opposition, and I’m just not wanting that. But I can’t put the burden on my son to keep it a secret.

Why is it anyone‘s businesses? What’s the big deal?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:17 am
I took growth hormone as a kid. My parents were super secretive about it and nobody knew not even my closest friends and relatives.

I wouldn’t suggest going that route but honestly didn’t effects too badly. Just when I was dating I never said no to a guy if he was shorter than me cuz I was worried maybe he is my Bashert and I was ‘supposed’ to be shorter lol. I’m happy my parents did it. I’m 5’6 now Smile I grew a lot after they stopped giving me GH I think I was around 5’4 when they stopped.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 10:35 pm
My DS was diagnosed with GH deficiency and may start GH shots soon.

It seems like most people on here whose kids took growth hormone shots did this treatment when their kids were tweens or early teens, and did it for a short number of years.

My DS is only six, but he's already smaller than all the kids two grades below him and we don't want him to go through school constantly teased.

Are we looking at six or more years of this?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 10:50 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:

It seems like most people on here whose kids took growth hormone shots did this treatment when their kids were tweens or early teens, and did it for a short number of years.

My DS is only six, but he's already smaller than all the kids two grades below him and we don't want him to go through school constantly teased.

What does your endocrinologist say? My son started at 12 1/2 but he's 2 years behind in bone age. He's 14 now and we'll probably still be doing it for a while.
They recently came out with a once a week shot that is just as effective. Maybe look into that.
6 is really young to get pricked every day. Does your son even want to? My son was old enough to understand the pain vs. benefit idea so he was ok with it.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 10:56 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:

My doctor said they generally don’t start before 8 unless there’s a real medical need.
I think people start older because they keep hoping their kid will grow and finally come to terms with doing something about it at the older age but it’s really ideal to start younger with many years before puberty left.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 11:17 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:
My doctor said they generally don’t start before 8 unless there’s a real medical need.
I think people start older because they keep hoping their kid will grow and finally come to terms with doing something about it at the older age but it’s really ideal to start younger with many years before puberty left.

I had a doc wanting to start my son at age two! My research said it would have to be done until puberty and no way was I going to prick him for so many years. He is 9 now and I’m taking him back to the endo soon for more bloodwork and to see our options.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 6:33 am
how come there were no other symptoms if they were gh deficient?

my doctor said that dc would have no hair and other symptoms if were gh deficient.

is gh deficiency hereditary?

look at parents height but what if parentis short cos gh deficiency?

amother
Bone

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 7:49 am
amother Watermelon wrote:

My son was extremely short and I resisted peer pressure to get him GH. His attitude was “I am short so what?” The “issue” of him being short was with other people not him.

He is now 16 and taller than me. He is still growing while most of his peers seemed to have plateaued. I don’t regret my decision to not give him GH at all.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 8:23 am
amother Bone wrote:
My son was extremely short and I resisted peer pressure to get him GH. His attitude was “I am short so what?” The “issue” of him being short was with other people not him.

He is now 16 and taller than me. He is still growing while most of his peers seemed to have plateaued. I don’t regret my decision to not give him GH at all.

I like the attitude.

why are people so afraid of synthetic growth hormone? wouldnt it be just as safe as synthetic diabetes medication or synthetic vitamin d?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 8:30 am
amother Bone wrote:

You happen to have been lucky that your son grew tall and didn't have a chance to reevaluate his attitude. Good for you that it worked for you.

My son had that attitude at 8, he didn't even think he was short!
His attitude changed at 12 on his own. No one around him said anything, it was his own internal opinion.
I'm glad we took him for testing and it wasn't too late. He was very deficient.

Taking gh isn't "peer pressure" , that's a very offensive statement.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 8:35 am
amother Seashell wrote:
You happen to have been lucky that your son grew tall and didn't have a chance to reevaluate his attitude. Good for you that it worked for you.

My son had that attitude at 8, he didn't even think he was short!
His attitude changed at 12 on his own. No one around him said anything, it was his own internal opinion.
I'm glad we took him for testing and it wasn't too late. He was very deficient.

Taking gh isn't "peer pressure" , that's a very offensive statement.

is anyone in family short? is it genetic?

which type of testing did you do? a regular morning blood test?

what was the gh result?did you test igf-1 too?

idid a regular gh blood test but dont ask me why the doctor took it at 4:30 in the aft and the result was 0.5 ug/l for gh and 20nmol/l for igf-1.

can you get a really deficient result if taken wrong time of day?

my gp wont refer me to endo and cant pay private...

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, Jul 11 2023, 8:37 am
I read in the family first teen pages that even if kids are deficient when young it can sort itself out on its own later on...

wonder?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics