Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Is cottage cheese healthy
Previous  1  2

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 6:31 pm
lamplighter wrote:
I'm not sure why you're concerned with my eating habits but I define healthy by as close to it's original creation as possible ie least processed. In that sense grilled fish or a steak is healthier than cottage cheese. I eat a variety of macros all day and yes sometimes eat cottage cheese as the protein element in a meal.

I am not concerned. just seriously trying to learn for myself...from you, if your ok with it.

so you would say that fish is healthier than lets say cheese and yogurt cos its closer to original creation?

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 6:41 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
I am not concerned. just seriously trying to learn for myself...from you, if your ok with it.

so you would say that fish is healthier than lets say cheese and yogurt cos its closer to original creation?

Yes. It's less processed, no chemicals etc. That's how I try to eat. Minimizing processed foods. I eat dairy. I like it and there's nutrition in there but if you were to ask me point blank, I believe fish chicken meat is healthier than dairy any day and of course much more healthy than anything made with flour.....

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:40 pm
why is it healthy if its been stripped from fat?

Andrea, if you are around anywhere, its probably not part of your diet...?

Haha. You knew I’d show up eventually. I don’t eat anything I don’t like and I don’t like cottage cheese. My husband likes j and j Which is high fat and apparently tastes great if you like it.

I’m of the opinion that when you remove fat, dairy is kind of pointless.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:42 pm
cottage cheese is made by removing fat. thats the process of making cottage cheese. it is a low fat product.

This is not correct. Whey is low fat.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 9:46 pm
I agree that processed foods are not ideal but as long as the dairy products contain minimal ingredients, I don’t really have an issue with them. For example if cheese is milk or cream, salt and enzymes, I’m good with it.

I make my own creme fraiche sometimes and ill Eat 18% sour cream bc I don’t like yogurt. I eat hard cheeses, especially when high in fat.

I like cream cheese as long as the ingredients are simple but cook with it more than eat it raw.

I like ricotta and have made it. Sounds similar to the recipe posted here.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:46 am
andrea levy wrote:
This is not correct. Whey is low fat.

thanks for weighing in Andrea. knew I could count on you!

interesting.

I called a manufacturer to ask about full fat cottage cheese and he said no such a thing cos its made by removing all fat.

my guess is that fat is added back in again afterwards and maybe thats why j &j is full fat?

are such products ok? is it called processed that fat is removed and then added back in?

its interesting that some processed foods - and I dont mean processed junk- are very unhealthy

and some are really healthy.

white flour, juiced fruit are not healthy but

olive oil, cod liver oil, butter, and lots of dairy products are really healthy even if they are processed
and parts removed from them and have been part of our ancestors diet...

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:09 am
thanks for weighing in Andrea. knew I could count on you!

interesting.

I called a manufacturer to ask about full fat cottage cheese and he said no such a thing cos its made by removing all fat.

my guess is that fat is added back in again afterwards and maybe thats why j &j is full fat?

are such products ok? is it called processed that fat is removed and then added back in?

its interesting that some processed foods - and I dont mean processed junk- are very unhealthy

and some are really healthy.

white flour, juiced fruit are not healthy but

olive oil, cod liver oil, butter, and lots of dairy products are really healthy even if they are processed
and parts removed from them and have been part of our ancestors diet...
If something is processed in a way that it was processed in as part of an ancestral diet, that is not the type of processed people refer to when talking about unhealthy processed foods. Unhealthy processed foods have been processed in ways that our ancestors weren’t capable of processing, where the ingredients are no longer recognizable and end up being chemically altered and stripped of nutritional value.

Most commercial dairy products are highly processed. They are heated to very high temps, the water, fat, proteins are separated, all kinds of chemicals, additives, stabilizers, gums and preservatives added in. Taking out the fat and adding back in is the least of it. This is all after starting out with a very subpar milk because of what cows are being fed, injected with, and how they live. Health conscious people who are in favor of consuming dairy are very very careful with where their dairy is sourced.

Remember that not all indigenous groups even used dairy as part of their diet. In some parts it was unheard of. And as many as 40% of adults still lack lactase, the enzyme needed to break down lactose, the most abundant sugar in milk. This is by design, not by error. Not everyone believes we are wired to consume dairy past age 2.

If someone is overweight and needs to lose weight and does well on an extremely low carb diet, dairy may be a good option for them since they are so limited, and the risks of their obesity may outweigh the risks presented by processed dairy, but if you are looking to say heal or prevent autoimmune diseases, that is a different story.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:47 am
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
If something is processed in a way that it was processed in as part of an ancestral diet, that is not the type of processed people refer to when talking about unhealthy processed foods. Unhealthy processed foods have been processed in ways that our ancestors weren’t capable of processing, where the ingredients are no longer recognizable and end up being chemically altered and stripped of nutritional value.

Most commercial dairy products are highly processed. They are heated to very high temps, the water, fat, proteins are separated, all kinds of chemicals, additives, stabilizers, gums and preservatives added in. Taking out the fat and adding back in is the least of it. This is all after starting out with a very subpar milk because of what cows are being fed, injected with, and how they live. Health conscious people who are in favor of consuming dairy are very very careful with where their dairy is sourced.

Remember that not all indigenous groups even used dairy as part of their diet. In some parts it was unheard of. And as many as 40% of adults still lack lactase, the enzyme needed to break down lactose, the most abundant sugar in milk. This is by design, not by error. Not everyone believes we are wired to consume dairy past age 2.

If someone is overweight and needs to lose weight and does well on an extremely low carb diet, dairy may be a good option for them since they are so limited, and the risks of their obesity may outweigh the risks presented by processed dairy, but if you are looking to say heal or prevent autoimmune diseases, that is a different story.

I hear you. you've mentioned some really good points.

however, I eat for eg shefa natural yogurt and leben and all it has is full fat milk and live cultures from cows that are grass fed . see below.

"Our farm is situated on the fertile calcareous river clay soil of a well-known nature area in Holland. The cows tuck into the lush grass of the meadows surrounding the farm. The well-balanced and pure diet as well as the loving care we devote to our cows keep the whole herd in top shape and visibly happy.

...and as fresh as can be!

Milked in the morning, packaged in the afternoon! Straight after milking the cows, the milk is processed into a variety of good old fashioned and extremely healthy dairy products. "

it would be a shame not to have this in my diet.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 11:02 am
Dairy keeps me eating healthy. I have a very low tolerance for animal protein and can only have eggs once a week or so.
Everyone needs to look at the bigger picture and see overall what is working for their bodies.

amother
Jasmine

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 11:03 am

however, I eat for eg shefa natural yogurt and leben and all it has is full fat milk and live cultures from cows that are grass fed . see below.

"Our farm is situated on the fertile calcareous river clay soil of a well-known nature area in Holland. The cows tuck into the lush grass of the meadows surrounding the farm. The well-balanced and pure diet as well as the loving care we devote to our cows keep the whole herd in top shape and visibly happy.

Milked in the morning, packaged in the afternoon! Straight after milking the cows, the milk is processed into a variety of good old fashioned and extremely healthy dairy products. "

The line about milked in the morning packaged in the afternoon would have me very suspicious about anything except straight up milk because most dairy products needs more than a few hours to actually turn into what it is.

This isn’t me trying to discourage you from consuming dairy if you feel it’s beneficial for you and your family, just be bringing up what may be some salient point. It’s good to be informed.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 11:13 am
amother [ Jasmine ] wrote:
The line about milked in the morning packaged in the afternoon would have me very suspicious about anything except straight up milk because most dairy products needs more than a few hours to actually turn into what it is.

This isn’t me trying to discourage you from consuming dairy if you feel it’s beneficial for you and your family, just be bringing up what may be some salient point. It’s good to be informed.

does it not mean milked in the morn and the milk is packaged in the afternoon?

besides for that though starting from the cows its a pretty quality product.

I just would love to know which cows - holstein? friesen?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 4:48 pm

Sounds beautiful. If you have no ill effects from dairy, you have no ill effects from dairy. Enjoy!

mirror

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 5:44 pm
Cottage cheese is healthy and so is cow's milk, unless you are allergic. There is a lot of false information out there. A lie that get's repeated often enough is valued as truth. Don't believe anything that anybody tells you. The Internet is full of misinformation.

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 6:04 pm
Processed foods are bad for us because manufacturers add sodium, sugars, fats and chemicals to the food to make it taste better and to get us addicted to it. They don't just use fats and sugars, they use the most unhealthy sources of sugar and fat out there. The fact that a food may be prepared or processed doesn't necessarily make it unhealthy.
I'm always curious about people who want to consume an "ancestral diet". If you compare life expectancy today to that of our ancestors two hundred or five hundred years ago you'll conclude we're not doing that badly.
Some foods are actually better for you once they're processed. Lycopene, the powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes, is much more readily available after the tomatoes are cooked. Milk, meat, eggs, fish are less likely to poison people after they're heated to a certain temperature. In some cases people feel virtuous and healthy replacing refined foods like white sugar with a less refined food like honey, which will mess with your blood sugar just as badly.
The fact that the huge amounts of sugar and hydrogenated fats in prepared sauces and snack foods can make us sick in so many different, awful ways, doesn't mean we'll be healthier if we go back to eating or living the way our ancestors did.

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:17 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Processed foods are bad for us because manufacturers add sodium, sugars, fats and chemicals to the food to make it taste better and to get us addicted to it. They don't just use fats and sugars, they use the most unhealthy sources of sugar and fat out there. The fact that a food may be prepared or processed doesn't necessarily make it unhealthy.
I'm always curious about people who want to consume an "ancestral diet". If you compare life expectancy today to that of our ancestors two hundred or five hundred years ago you'll conclude we're not doing that badly.
Some foods are actually better for you once they're processed. Lycopene, the powerful antioxidant found in tomatoes, is much more readily available after the tomatoes are cooked. Milk, meat, eggs, fish are less likely to poison people after they're heated to a certain temperature. In some cases people feel virtuous and healthy replacing refined foods like white sugar with a less refined food like honey, which will mess with your blood sugar just as badly.
The fact that the huge amounts of sugar and hydrogenated fats in prepared sauces and snack foods can make us sick in so many different, awful ways, doesn't mean we'll be healthier if we go back to eating or living the way our ancestors did.

life expectancy may be longer nowadays not necessarily cos we are healthier. so may unhealthy people living on medication prolonging their life.

mirror

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:22 pm

The fact that the huge amounts of sugar and hydrogenated fats in prepared sauces and snack foods can make us sick in so many different, awful ways...

Just to clarify, cottage cheese does not have added sugar or hydrogenated fats.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:05 pm
cottage cheese is made by removing fat. thats the process of making cottage cheese. it is a low fat product.

So interesting! I grew up on cottage cheese mixed with sour cream, now I know why!

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:19 pm
mirror wrote:
Just to clarify, cottage cheese does not have added sugar or hydrogenated fats.

I’m aware of that.
I see you skipped the part where I said-

The fact that a food may be prepared or processed doesn't necessarily make it unhealthy.

And-

Some foods are actually better for you once they're processed.

You literally quoted the first half of a sentence I wrote and left out the end.

amother
Wandflower

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 4:53 am
I’m aware of that.
I see you skipped the part where I said-

The fact that a food may be prepared or processed doesn't necessarily make it unhealthy.

And-

Some foods are actually better for you once they're processed.

You literally quoted the first half of a sentence I wrote and left out the end.

its very interesting that processed food like butter where only the fat remains is extremely healthy,
like olive oil and cod liver oil but juice from apples and white flour with all the bran and fibre removed is extremely unhealthy. and these are not heavily processed junk with toxic stuff added
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise