Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
What’s the point of high school (girls)
  Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jun 26 2022, 11:29 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
This is the best part of the whole thread.
You told the poster not to move to philly without a plan to open a new school.
Not one person jumped down your throat saying “how dare you- I will move to philly and I demand you accept my child”
But when all the Lakewood posters say not to come without a school, they get attacked for their lack of acceptance

And I wasnt even talking about Philly, I meant start a new community in a very rural part of the Poconos
Or at least a hs with a dorm

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 7:42 am
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
This is the best part of the whole thread.
You told the poster not to move to philly without a plan to open a new school.
Not one person jumped down your throat saying “how dare you- I will move to philly and I demand you accept my child”
But when all the Lakewood posters say not to come without a school, they get attacked for their lack of acceptance

I have been living in lakewood for 23 years and I am struggling to get my daughter into a high school. She has been out of school for the past year.

Moonlight

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:24 am
amother [ Darkblue ] wrote:
I have been living in lakewood for 23 years and I am struggling to get my daughter into a high school. She has been out of school for the past year.

I am SO sorry. That is horrible Sad

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:28 am
Moonlight wrote:
I am SO sorry. That is horrible Sad

That is the reality in Lakewood and many other towns in the frum world. The sad reality is that the only place that will accept anyone is Chabad or bublic schools. In the frum world in and especially in lakewood the schools are locked unless u have allot of money and well connected.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:31 am
I feel like a broken record, but in Israel, if there are too many kids, we just open new classes, and the Ministry of Education pays the teacher. Free religious education, for everyone who wants.

amother
Darkblue

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:34 am
Rappel wrote:
I feel like a broken record, but in Israel, if there are too many kids, we just open new classes, and the Ministry of Education pays the teacher. Free religious education, for everyone who wants.

I read somewhere that there are hundreds os Israeli girls out of school especially sfardim so thus is a universal frum epidemic. As a society we have failed our community big time. Shame on our community!!.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:34 am

She was a 9th grader this past year? The vaad didn’t help you place her?

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 8:36 am
Rappel wrote:

Israel has major school problems it’s not so simple. Especially for Americans that move there and don’t speak the language or fit into the culture. Don’t paint a rosy picture when people suffer and tons of children of Aliyah go off the derech.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:17 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Israel has major school problems it’s not so simple. Especially for Americans that move there and don’t speak the language or fit into the culture. Don’t paint a rosy picture when people suffer and tons of children of Aliyah go off the derech.

Look who slept through last week's Parsha

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:20 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Look who slept through last week's Parsha

I think it's important for people to know the pitfalls and be prepared if they make Aliyah as a family.

That being said, I just want to say that I have a close relative who made Aliyah a few years ago, with a large family B"AH. And it's been amazing for them. I look at them and feel a huge pang. Wish it were me.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:20 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
She was a 9th grader this past year? The vaad didn’t help you place her?

Which elementary school did she come from?
My daughters principal helped every girl get into a high school this yr.

Bh every 8th grader in my daughters class got into a school.

It may not have been their first choice but everyone has a high school.

Did you apply to high schools that are easier to get into or do you only want Bais shaindel - Bais yaakov type. Bec. Those are the hardest schools to get into?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:23 am
Moonlight wrote:
So what happened to OP-'s daughter?

My daughter got into a school right before school started

She is doing well and is happy

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:27 am

If she chose not to go to school for 8th grade without a valid reason it would make sense why a high school would be nervous to accept her. If there was a very good reason why she was out of school there should be people who can advocate for you. Unless you mean she never got accepted to high school last year…
Whatever it is, I’m sorry you have to deal with this now.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter got into a school right before school started

She is doing well and is happy

BH! I was hoping to hear that.

Rappel

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:44 am
I read somewhere that there are hundreds os Israeli girls out of school especially sfardim so thus is a universal frum epidemic. As a society we have failed our community big time. Shame on our community!!.

I'm really glad to hear that the OP's daughter is settled now. Smile

I just want to set this post straight: this is a phenomenon only in circles where they open private schools, and everyone wants to go to those private schools, and then the principals start doing power plays. This seems to happen only in certain circles.

(heaven only knows why people do it. You can get a full haredi education as a public school if you register it as a Talmud Torah. No mess, no tuition, and you can teach whatever you think is appropriate. No curriculum mandates applied.)

Anyone who chooses not to buy into that private system has every option in Israel.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:02 am
amother [ White ] wrote:

It is always challenging to relocate to another country where another language is spoken. If you expect to plunk down in another country and seamlessly fit in from the get-go, I think you have unrealistic expectations.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:39 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
If one moves countries, you have to allow your children to fit in. If you are starting with a negative attitude, it wont help anyone.
Also, when one moves countries, one MUST start learning the language before they move. And if you feel people are suffering, then be the change, do something to help the people you are talking about.

I know that in my daughter's elementary school, just for example, there was a teacher that had private lessons with 2 olot girls to help them with their hebrew.

But also, one must WANT to acclimate to the new culture. I know a family where not one child thrived or learned hebrew. And they went back. But if the family puts in the work to acclimate, it can, and does work, more often than not.
And nobody is painting a rosy picture, just realistic really.

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:57 am

I don't know where you read this but I don't see that it's true. The iriya (city council) place every girl somewhere before the beginning of the year.
As in every place, if you insist on only one specific school, you might not get what you want but every girl has a school before school opens.
I only know of one family where their daughter was home until after sukkos and that was because they insisted on only one school and their daughter had learning disabilities and the school didn't feel they could deal with it. She was placed at a school with provision and the parents refused the place. In the end the school they wanted took her after sukkos.

But the schools here do what someone suggested up thread. If there are too many girls, they just open another class. My daughter's school has 8 parallel classes of 50+ girls each. The yashan high school has 11 parallels of 60+ girls each. There are smaller schools but often the academic standard is lower. Nothing is perfect. The funny thing is, I was so nervous about the huge size but my daughters are bH doing well and the staff really know the kids.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:06 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
I don't know where you read this but I don't see that it's true. The iriya (city council) place every girl somewhere before the beginning of the year.
As in every place, if you insist on only one specific school, you might not get what you want but every girl has a school before school opens.

Same. Our iriyah (municipality) guarantees every Israeli child a spot in a local school (and in a religious school if that's what you want).

Nearby small mixed cities which don't have enough religious families to support a religious school provide transportation to religious schools in neighboring cities.

I think that's the law in Israel, not just in my city.

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:12 am
You gotta love when Israelis get triggered when issues are pointed out. No one moves and purposely tries not to fit in. Again you all glossed over the serious issues of moving high school kids and continue to pretend it’s a valid solution that works. Besides you all are ignoring how most people can’t live there because it’s so hard to make money there.
Page 10 of 11   Previous  1  2  3 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries