Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Teacher called my son by the wrong name all day
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:48 am
My son is 18 months and it’s my first time sending him to a daycare/playgroup.

I did research and I’m sending him to a group that is more expensive then the rest but has a good reputation and a better adult/child ratio then the rest of the places nearby.

I called teacher after school to hear how he did (I called him by his name) and if he needed anything and she told me he was good ect.

My husband told me later that when he came to pick my son up the morahs were calling him Moshe and talking about him and if his name is Moshe.

His name isn’t Moshe! It isn’t anything close to Moshe.

I put a sticker on his shirt tomorrow with his name. I put his name on his lunchbox, backpack ect. I messaged the teacher with a picture of him and I told her his name and that she shouldn’t call him Moshe.
But I can’t believe they would call him the wrong name all day. And when I spoke to teacher she prob was talking about a different kid.

Is it normal to call kids the wrong name on the first day of school?

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:51 am
This is just bizarre.
But stay on top of it.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Is it normal to call kids the wrong name on the first day of school?

I wouldn't worry about it. It's the first day after all. The teacher has to learn a whole bunch of new names at once and not everyone is great with names, especially if two kids look slightly similar . At 18 months your son likely also isn't correnting the teacher and telling her that's not his name.

I'm saying this as a teacher myself. It takes me around 1- 2 weeks (depending on class size) to learn everyone's name and not mix people up (and I'm known as a good teacher, just somehow names are hard for me)

All that being said, if I'd worked with such young children I'd put a lable on them until I keow everyone's name well (you wrote your doing it tomorrow, but I'm wondering why the teacher didn't do it today) is this a new teacher?

I wouldn't think so deeply into it though unless it goes on further after you corrected her....or you see other things concerning.

Sesame

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:38 am
It happens. She didn’t do it to upset you. I would not take it so personally. Texting a pic of him with his name and “you shouldn’t call him Moshe” is harsh and rude. You could have just said something in a jokey way the next morning like “I think names got mixed up the first day, lol, have a great day name. Thanks morah for looking after name”. It’s really not her being malicious! A teacher never ever got your name wrong??

abound

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:47 am
Not such a big deal. Its the first day, it takes time to get to know kids names.

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 2:52 am
I think you handled it great.

I think if it's an isolated incident I wouldn't worry. But stay vigilant.

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 3:02 am
I could see myself getting super upset as a first time mom, but now with my fifth kh if this would happen I would just laugh it off. (Unless my child has specific allergies/needs)

Chickensoupprof

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 3:10 am
It’s weird, I Would def say something. DHs Jewish name is different then his English name totally doesn’t have any link with his Jewish name. In yeshiva high school he ingnored teachers who assumed that his name was Yeshuha cuz his legal name is josh so when that happened he ignored the teacher. I advice DS to do the same but he is too young 😂

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:58 am
It's actually really funny. Is this your first baby? Everything seems more serious with the first. Hopefully one day you'll look back and laugh

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:00 am
I see this totally differently.
Sounds messed up.
I would call the morah and clarify calmly how this miscommunication came about. When he is dropped off you or dh should take a minute with teacher to clarify his name while kid is standing there. Would keep it warm and respectful in front of child but would make sure they know who he is and that your child knows it is being corrected. I would be assertive and give benefit of doubt but would certainly not just let it go.
She didn't know his name?
What a lousy and inexcusable way to start off the session.

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:05 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
It's actually really funny. Is this your first baby? Everything seems more serious with the first. Hopefully one day you'll look back and laugh

Wow I really don’t agree.
Calling once or twice by mistake is fine but referring to the child all day by a different name and thinking he has a different name is completely different.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:07 am
I’m surprised the Morah didn’t put name tags on the kids. Even my older kids are given name tags on the first day. I don’t think it’s a huge issue but it sounds a bit disorganized.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:17 am
imaima wrote:
Wow I really don’t agree.
Calling once or twice by mistake is fine but referring to the child all day by a different name and thinking he has a different name is completely different.

If the Morah got mixed up how would she have known to correct herself? The kid isn’t old enough to explain unless he’s particularly advanced and none of his belongings were labeled. One of the many reasons to always label what you sent to playgroup and camp.
Seems like an honest mistake to me. There’s probably a Moshe in the group and she flipped them.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:27 am
OMG she’s human.
It’s upsetting but you’re taking it a bit too seriously.

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:34 am
mommyhood wrote:
If the Morah got mixed up how would she have known to correct herself? The kid isn’t old enough to explain unless he’s particularly advanced and none of his belongings were labeled. One of the many reasons to always label what you sent to playgroup and camp.
Seems like an honest mistake to me. There’s probably a Moshe in the group and she flipped them.

I don’t mean that she did it on purpose.
But I also don’t think that it is a FTM craziness or that OP was „harsh“.
It is an unfortunate mistake that has to be corrected.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:35 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:

This. & at 18 months old the child likely didn't even notice. ( yes I have that age...)

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:51 am
Lol I literally went into the classroom with my 3 year old, introduced to morah and turned around and came back into the room. Morah gave us a big smile and asked "hello, are you (different name)?"

It's the first day, it's no big deal.

kollel_wife

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:25 am
I am a very loving and caring person with little children and babies. I can make sure your child is happy and taken care of and feels safe, and his diaper is changed promptly. I will speak to him gently and calmly and distract him when he's upset, but I am terrible with names. My teen-aged daughters have friends for years, and I know who each one is, but I struggle to retrieve the correct name when I need to. I don't think the teacher necessarily has this problem, but is just struggling with a new group. Her behavior when interacting with them is what counts. In a few weeks she'll know all the names (I won't, but I'm not a Morah.)

watergirl

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:36 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
OMG she’s human.
It’s upsetting but you’re taking it a bit too seriously.

This. I taught this age and other ages as well for many years and I am sure I did this at least a few times during the first week. It happens. I am also sure she realized later and felt stupid and kicked herself for it.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:43 am
How many kids are there in this play group that it was so challenging for them to know his name and greet him by the correct name and call him by the right name at least most of the time?
smart you put a sticker on him Op
hope the morah calls and acknowledges and apologizes
and then you can be gracious about it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics