Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Dd first period 11.9 years old!!!!
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:43 am
I had such a shock she told me today she saw blood. Shes been in a crazy mood lately. Started gaining a lot of weight from craving carbs. started getting acne. Im freaaking out. This is so young.
Pls help me...
Anyone dd got theirs before 12? she turning 12 in 0ctober.
Any advice??
pimples? mood swings? any supplements!??
she also under 5 foot will she still grow???
Im so nervous, not sure why?
I guess its triggering something from my inner child. My mom never prepared hygiene wise. She told me about periods but not how to take care of myself. I want my dd to have all the help she can.
ANY ADVICE

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:59 am
First of all, this is a very normal age…
It’s not too early
Many girls will get their period when they are 11. Some will get later but it’s not crazy but that she got it now. Someone posted last week that her daughter got her period at 9! THAT’S early! Others chimed in my that they or their daughters got it at 10.
I think it’s very good that you want to prepare her properly. Show her how to use a pad. Show her how to discard wrappers and used pads. Explain that she needs to change her pad multiple times throughout the day. Tell her that she might not feel so great those first few days and warm baths can help. It’s very possible that just because she saw blood today her cycles will not be regular yet. Let her know that it’s a good thing that she has her period. This is preparing her body to become pregnant with a baby one day. It’s a reason to be happy because now she’s a woman who will be ready to get married when she’s older. Buy her an ice cream or something else special later. Let her know that this is a good thing.

Lh291

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:07 am
My grandmother had her first period at age 10 in 1929. She's not too young.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:09 am
I got mine when I was 10.5 years old. Still grew for another 2-3 years. 11.9 is within normal range.

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had such a shock she told me today she saw blood. Shes been in a crazy mood lately. Started gaining a lot of weight from craving carbs. started getting acne. Im freaaking out. This is so young.
Pls help me...
Anyone dd got theirs before 12? she turning 12 in 0ctober.
Any advice??
pimples? mood swings? any supplements!??
she also under 5 foot will she still grow???
Im so nervous, not sure why?
I guess its triggering something from my inner child. My mom never prepared hygiene wise. She told me about periods but not how to take care of myself. I want my dd to have all the help she can.
ANY ADVICE

This is not early. Absolutely normal.

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:13 am
I don’t know why you think it’s super early, OP. I got my period at 12 and it seemed quite normal. Average age of menarche goes up and down throughout history. In the Middle Ages it was somewhere around 14-15. In the 19th century in northern Europe it was 17. In the 20th c. it declined rapidly.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:15 am
My sisters and I got our first period before 11....I knew to talk to my girls early Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:29 am
Thank you so much all of you. You really calmed me down. My mother was so emotionally absent from my life in my teenage years. I went to school with oily hair and no pads in my backpack. Went to camp without packing them along!!!!. Gained a lot of weight and my whole face was covered in pimples. traumatic years!!!.
I want to be the perfect mother and give her all I didn't get. Shes my first girl and the shock that shes entered adulthood was just such a trigger from my youth.
I love that one of you wrote that I should buy her ice cream.I started panicking this morning. I gave her a talk about hygiene but I think that talk came out of anxiety on my part not from love and caring ..
any more support on how to be a good mother to my first teenager? It means so so much to me!!!!

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:40 am
I got mine 2 months after I turned 11.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 6:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much all of you. You really calmed me down. My mother was so emotionally absent from my life in my teenage years. I went to school with oily hair and no pads in my backpack. Went to camp without packing them along!!!!. Gained a lot of weight and my whole face was covered in pimples. traumatic years!!!.
I want to be the perfect mother and give her all I didn't get. Shes my first girl and the shock that shes entered adulthood was just such a trigger from my youth.
I love that one of you wrote that I should buy her ice cream.I started panicking this morning. I gave her a talk about hygiene but I think that talk came out of anxiety on my part not from love and caring ..
any more support on how to be a good mother to my first teenager? It means so so much to me!!!!

It sounds like you already know what to do. You'll do great! Heart

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:28 am
Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Any more advice? What are good supplements to give my dd to keep her emotions calm? I was such a mess and still am when I get my period

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!
Any more advice? What are good supplements to give my dd to keep her emotions calm? I was such a mess and still am when I get my period

We all are.

I gave her vitamins for Teen Girls and it seemed to help.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:33 am
Totally a normal age.
If you have any more daughters I would suggest you lay some ground work from a younger age and start speaking about periods from around 10 years old.

With this daughter you now need to have 2 different conversations
1) Immediate- How to deal with a period
* Totally normal thing that happens to woman around every month.
* Different sorts of products and the methods of using each
* Celebrating the huge milestone. Buy her something or go out together. She is now a woman.

2) Ongoing- What is a period and why do we get it.
* You can start by reading the purple book together
* Discuss the various body, hormonal and emotional changes that she can expect within the next few years
* I personally would go further than the purple book and actually discuss relations, consent and attraction. And how everything she is going through ties into this topic.
---This topic is ONGOING- you give her information and then wait for her to come back to you for follow up. you follow her lead on this (same really goes for all kids)

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:33 am
I got my period at 11.5, and so did my dd. (I’m young gen x and she’s gen z for reference)

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:34 am
imaima wrote:
We all are.

Are we? I am not.
But I am always in lots of pain.
You can discuss this with her too.

amother
Petunia

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:44 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
I got my period at 11.5, and so did my dd. (I’m young gen x and she’s gen z for reference)

What’s gen x and gen z?

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:45 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Are we? I am not.
But I am always in lots of pain.
You can discuss this with her too.

I am not OP.
I am fine thank you

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:49 am
imaima wrote:
We all are.

What vitamins ?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:01 am
imaima wrote:
I am not OP.
I am fine thank you

Sorry, Came across a bit harsh.
I meant that we don't all respond to our period the same way so OP shouldn't assume that her daughter will respond like her. Rather it should be a conversation.
'You might feel XYZ, we can try to help you with method ABC.'
And OP, Your daughter is being raised by you and not by your Mom, that alone might a whole different emotional experience Smile

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:07 am
Why the hysterics. This is completely normal.
My friend got before she was 10.
I got mine at 11 and 4 months.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children