Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teaching girls elementary kodesh AND chol = possible?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:27 am
Does anyone have experience teaching girls elementary school limudei kodesh and girls elementary school limudei chol at the same time? Potential extreme exhaustion and after-school work overload aside, I can't seem to figure out how it could work schedule-wise unless people are teaching both kodesh and chol in the same school, which feels highly unlikely. How do you have time to get from one job to the next before chol classes start? Thanks for satisfying an interested teacher's curiosity Smile

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:39 am
My daughter's first grade teacher used to teach 1st grade both kodesh and chol in the same school, 2 different classes

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:46 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
My daughter's first grade teacher used to teach 1st grade both kodesh and chol in the same school, 2 different classes

Interesting! I didn't realize it was something that happened really in the girls' schools but I guess why not.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting! I didn't realize it was something that happened really in the girls' schools but I guess why not.

Though she stopped after a few years, she mentioned it being too much...

amother
Hibiscus

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 12:59 am
My daughter's first grade english teacher taught a different first grade class for Hebrew in the morning.

She was an amazing teacher too! Can't imagine doing such an "on" job all day long like that!

ETA that my daughter told me that she's the only morah who doesn't have to stay with her class during lunch. So the school did give her that leeway/accomodation/understanding.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 1:10 am
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
My daughter's first grade english teacher taught a different first grade class for Hebrew in the morning.

She was an amazing teacher too! Can't imagine doing such an "on" job all day long like that!

ETA that my daughter told me that she's the only morah who doesn't have to stay with her class during lunch. So the school did give her that leeway/accomodation/understanding.

I wonder how it works in terms of teachers attending meetings, doing PTA, etc. - in the school I work at, everything overlaps - but I've definitely heard about kodesh+chol teaching in boys' schools very often though so I guess schools figure out a way to make it work. Definitely exhausting to think about though!!

imaima

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone have experience teaching girls elementary school limudei kodesh and girls elementary school limudei chol at the same time? Potential extreme exhaustion and after-school work overload aside, I can't seem to figure out how it could work schedule-wise unless people are teaching both kodesh and chol in the same school, which feels highly unlikely. How do you have time to get from one job to the next before chol classes start? Thanks for satisfying an interested teacher's curiosity Smile

It works if you teach both in the same school. Or even the same class.
I don’t think it is a problem at all.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:34 am
I did it for many years. I always did both in the same school. Generally different grades.
When I started I was head teacher for one and assistant for the other till I had the prep under my belt, then I became head for both. Did it for a long time till my family needed me to go part time.

essie14

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:37 am
I know several women who teach kodesh and chol in the same school. Or in different schools, but you design the schedule so that you have time to drive from one to the other.

rmbg

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:36 am
My daughters teacher does it. Morning she was in my daughters school and in the afternoon switched to a different school where they start chol 15 minutes later giving her enough time to get there. She’s an amazing teacher!

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:17 am
I know moros that did it in different schools. A school can usually get other coverage for lunch.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics