Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
2-day vacation in the US

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:14 pm
All we have is Sunday-Monday. Ideally I’d love to go somewhere on plane (feels more vacationy, and my kids, who have never been on a plane, would love to). However, we can leave Motzai Shabbos, but I doubt we’d find anything late enough. And to fly Sunday morning and Monday night, unless it’s an hour flight or so, makes no sense, would leave us no time to do anything. I’m located in Lakewood. Anything driving distance, I guess up to 3-4 hours, with attractions that would be geared to my 7-12 year olds? Tia!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:25 pm
With 1 night only I’d keep it close. Philly has something for everyone

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 2:58 pm
You could drive Motzei Shabbos to Lancaster, then have Sunday and most of Monday. If you specifically want to fly, you could get an early Sunday flight to Boston or maybe Buffalo to go to Niagara Falls, then fly back late Monday night.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 6:23 pm
Thanks.

EPL

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 6:47 pm
Would you be willing to go to a place for Shabbos and have a 3 day vacation if they had a Shul? Newport , RI has a wonderful Shul, the Touro Synagogue. You can drive there and there's lots to do.

amother
Offwhite

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 7:21 pm
This summer there are even worse problems than usual at area airports. If you're flying out of Newark which is closest to you that's always a trouble spot. I'd drive to one of the closer places that were suggested here.
If your kids specifically want the experience of flying, drive to Philadelphia. The airport there is very nice. Take a short flight (Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte or anything you can find that's affordable and not too long a flight) and find a hotel as luxurious as you can afford to stay in at your destination. The flight and the hotel can be your vacation but you won't have much time for sightseeing.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 7:26 pm
Good point! There have been terrible spate of cancellations with simple domestic travel bookings and flights! Crazy!

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 7:28 pm
Really close by you have Long Branch, or Lancaster, Philadelphia, or spend a night in New York City.

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:32 pm
A flight really eats away at vacation time

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 27 2022, 10:44 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
A flight really eats away at vacation time

True. I originally was thinking about flying only because it would probably be the best part of the vacation. My kids wouldn’t care not having that much time to do things. But true, I think I’ll start more local. And leave the flying to when we have more time. Thanks!

DrMom

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
True. I originally was thinking about flying only because it would probably be the best part of the vacation. My kids wouldn’t care not having that much time to do things. But true, I think I’ll start more local. And leave the flying to when we have more time. Thanks!

Lines at airports are crazy these days. Flying may be fun for your kids, but standing in line for hours at the airport will likely not be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics