Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How do people draw the incredibly high salaries I see posted
Previous  1  2  3  4

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:21 pm
amother [ Blueberry ] wrote:
I can give advice about what NOT to do:
Speech-language pathology (unless it’s your absolute passion).
Our salaries have actually done DOWN rather than up in many parts of the country.
In the tri-state, it’s no longer considered a lucrative field.

I do recruiting for healthcare professions. I am on Indeed all day long. If you are willing to work a full 40 hour week there are currently 200 listings in Chicago for a SLP making 80k. For many listings its starting at 80k not peak of your career. I would not rule out therapies at all. You can become a supervisor and even start a practice if your ambitious. I think they can have great earning potential.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:26 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I do recruiting for healthcare professions. I am on Indeed all day long. If you are willing to work a full 40 hour week there are currently 200 listings in Chicago for a SLP making 80k. For many listings its starting at 80k not peak of your career. I would not rule out therapies at all. You can become a supervisor and even start a practice if your ambitious. I think they can have great earning potential.

You post this all the time, yet the actual therapists all over the country are not finding that this is their reality. Please consider that experiences in the field itself are more likely to represent the profession than what a recruiter sees.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 4:29 pm
I hire people I see salaries. I am not talking from no where. We can agree to disagree but I have customers offering very competitive salaries for PT/Speech/OT. I see it with my friends too who work in these fields.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:40 pm
That’s $27/hour. Pathetic.
Yes, private is the only way if you want good money. Or, a doe position.
Signed, SLP

mha3484 wrote:

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:44 pm
That’s $27/hour. Pathetic.
Yes, private is the only way if you want good money. Or, a doe position.
Signed, SLP

I just did the math and that's not how it added up. Can you explain how you got to $27 an hour?

mha3484

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:53 pm
Salaries are calculated based on 2080 hours a year. 80k/2080 is $38.00 an hour. To me thats not pathetic in the slightest. But maybe we just have different ideas of what is a good salary.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:56 pm
For somebody with a Masters degree, $38/hour is not acceptable, especially in a city like Chicago. I have seen offers like that in lower cost of living areas for individuals who are newer to the field - and it’s still nowhere near acceptable.

mha3484 wrote:
Salaries are calculated based on 2080 hours a year. 80k/2080 is $38.00 an hour. To me thats not pathetic in the slightest. But maybe we just have different ideas of what is a good salary.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:02 pm
For somebody with a Masters degree, $38/hour is not acceptable, especially in a city like Chicago. I have seen offers like that in lower cost of living areas for individuals who are newer to the field - and it’s still nowhere near acceptable.

Tell that to the social workers where I live that make 40k a year full time! Most professions even the ones with a graduate degree start out lower.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:44 pm

I'm curious which jobs pay more, especially as a starting salary? With or without a masters degree.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 7:53 pm
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
Glad it worked for you (did it?) But I dont agree with your point. Going to school to get a professional degree is a natural way to obtain a salary that will allow you to retire when you are old. Personally I'm going back to school so I can do just as you say. Work less hours and make more money. That's the whole point of a higher paying job. Are you saying that a doctor or lawyer cant cut their hours as they age? Or that their wives still have to work full time?

I’m a relatively new Nurse Practitioner- <5 years, and I make $110K. Obviously I have student loans too.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:00 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Curious as to how many hours a speech therapist is expected to work in a full time salaried position.

In most positions which are so client intensive it is not possible to work client after client without a break.

I honestly have no idea but I am wondering what the disparity in the wage scale seems to be based on.

Am I expected to have 8 client per day or am I expected to have 4 clients and also be compensated for administrative stuff as part of my full time salaried position?

FWIW my calculations for what is considered to be a full time job is only 1920 hours annually - 40 hours per week x 48 weeks which takes into account 10 legal holidays in the US plus 10 days of paid time off. Of course there are certain high level jobs like where one is expected to work more than 9 to 5 but most of the middle management/administrative type jobs are 9 to 5 essentially.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:07 pm
mha3484 wrote:

I know a mashgiach (qualifications are Semicha and some on-the-job training) who makes $30 an hour. $38 sounds very low.

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:15 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I’m a relatively new Nurse Practitioner- <5 years, and I make $110K. Obviously I have student loans too.

I guess compared to a speech therapist or a social worker with a masters that's good money. Still I thought nurse practitioners make more. Do you feel well compensated according to the market around you?

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:31 pm
I can give advice about what NOT to do:
Speech-language pathology (unless it’s your absolute passion).
Our salaries have actually done DOWN rather than up in many parts of the country.
In the tri-state, it’s no longer considered a lucrative field.

I know lots of SLPs and most of them work in public schools (definitely in Baltimore) and are satisfied with their salaries--of course everyone would love a raise, but they don't feel like are unfairly compensated. It's only on imamother that I see SLPs stating they are paid so little. Obviously the answer is not to work for a private agency. (Of course, you don't get flexibility with taking off early on Fridays or chol hamoed and such, but it's a trade off.)

amother
Milk

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:42 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
I cannot yell it louder - Selling On Amazon!!

Done paralegal, been to nursing school. Come from both sides of the family where mostly everyone is either a Lawyer or Doctor or Real Estate or owns their own private business. But that's it, it doesn't grow and you do that 40/50 years down the road and can't reduce your time at work or hours because that means less pay. Doesn't matter if you're a working mom or wife, you still have to put in the hours out of the house, especially as women, come 5, 10, 15 years down the road where we'll be wishing we can still earn financially the same, but stay more at home, it's not possible.
Plus, all these years we're putting into school and getting a degree, most positions are anyways being taken away or computer run or pay is less/fewer employers needed because these past two years everyone realized that most out-of-office work can be done via computer.

Unfortunately, even I who is not an internet-savy/Instagram Facebook person, b'h realized a long time ago that most income now needs to suit the "online" options

Bez'h more women or pre-married women will know about this direction rather than tell us to spend years and hours at school or full time work to be stuck in the end with no savings or breakthrough

I tried selling on Amazon and it didn’t work. Nowadays everything is being sold already with lots of reviews. So how do you find something good? If you’re selling all these random things how do you have reviews and do you buy it first or wait for someone to want it?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:48 pm
mha3484 wrote:

Is this for 10 months or 12 months?

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 9:11 pm
amother [ Milk ] wrote:
I tried selling on Amazon and it didn’t work. Nowadays everything is being sold already with lots of reviews. So how do you find something good? If you’re selling all these random things how do you have reviews and do you buy it first or wait for someone to want it?

You sold your own items I'm guessing? (Private Label). I don't need to worry about reviews because I don't make my own listings (I haven't made my own listing since 2019)

I do Retail/Online/Wholesale Arbitrage. I find good listings that already have great reviews and high sales, and sell on that listing.

Using the right criteria and searches, I can see what would be profitable for me and what wouldn't. I do buy the stock first, either from my local store or online, and mostly ship it out through Amazon (FBA).

What you mentioned about creating your own listings and always trying to get reviews is hard and I don't do that/nor teach anyone to. Although many people are successful through that like you said its hard work and usually hard/slow to get profit.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics