Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Prepared food - Chabad
Previous  1  2  3

ruchelbuckle

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 8:01 pm
OP- I just want to sympathize with you, because that's totally the type of thing I would do. In fact, I'm sure I have done it- not clarifying the price per person vs. per group and then end up with someone really peeved at me. So putting all the justifications aside for the actual cost of food, I totally feel for you!!!

As a side note, I live in a tourist area, and I think my local chabad charges something like $20 for a boxed breakfast, and $35 for a boxed lunch (tuna or egg salad sandwich, cookie, chips, fruit, and drink). So $50 for dinner is probably totally normal. Sad

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:27 pm
I disagree. I am chabad. Not a shlucha but part of the staff in chabad house. Very middle of nowhere area where pas yisroel, lubavitch schechita, cholov yisroel needs to be imported from the USA. A family size tray of schnitzel (serves like 8 people generously) is $52 and family sized salad is $14 so a meal for the family would cost less than $100 here. I would say $400 for the 4 meals would be reasonable. Family style aluminum foil pans at our chabad house would allow for several different more affordable dinner options. Maybe she portioned out each meal and charged more that way? I couldn't afford it. Sorry I'd order out once and bring along a panini maker and crock pot. It's just too expensive to pay $1000 for 4 meals.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:35 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I disagree. I am chabad. Not a shlucha but part of the staff in chabad house. Very middle of nowhere area where pas yisroel, lubavitch schechita, cholov yisroel needs to be imported from the USA. A family size tray of schnitzel (serves like 8 people generously) is $52 and family sized salad is $14 so a meal for the family would cost less than $100 here. I would say $400 for the 4 meals would be reasonable. Family style aluminum foil pans at our chabad house would allow for several different more affordable dinner options. Maybe she portioned out each meal and charged more that way? I couldn't afford it. Sorry I'd order out once and bring along a panini maker and crock pot. It's just too expensive to pay $1000 for 4 meals.

You say you are out of the U.S. Costs are different here, this is pretty standard. (Most people bring their own food when they go on trips to random places in the U.S. If they want to be in a place with easy/affordable access to kosher food, they go to a place like Miami, or at least a city that has actual restaurants.)
Also, if you are in a chabad house that has a staff, that is different then someone cooking to order on her own, out of her own kitchen on a random, not regular basis.

lightsabove

Post Sun, May 21 2023, 3:44 am
Some places are equipped and willing to sell food,sometimes to help people and sometimes to help support themselves
Sometimes they charge a premium because they can
And sometimes they aren't interested and maybe trying to discourage people from asking asking for food
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics