Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Pre-diabetes!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 10:30 pm
I didnt use a CGM but during gestational diabetes I used a finger stick. I know gestational is a little different but the general concept is the same... And found out I could eat apples if I ate peanut butter with it (lower sugar ones, not the heimish brand ones that have way more sugar!!). Dairy was great for me- even though cheese has carbs the protein content balanced me and I didnt spike. I found out I couldnt have most heimish brand items like sauces- way more sugar than national brands. So I switched... and on Pesach when there is no choice I had a bad spike. So we then went more "natural" and homemade.
So it is a lot of self testing and figuring out what your body can handle. One thing I had to do was track what I ate and what my levels were. So I could show the nutritionist and see if we noticed a pattern. I know Shabbos and holidays messed me up with weird meal times and foods but once I realized that I tried to eat between meals more and we also changed a little what we ate.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 4:07 am
How do cgm work?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 6:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks Andrea for weighing in ... how would I know if artificial sweeteners such as Stevie leaf extract will cause my insulin to spike and blood sugar will go up? Also, sugar damage at 6.4? Wow that's so freaking scary! That's still considered pre-diabetic.
I checked for a glucose monitor on Amazon. All of them one by one have bad reviews that they are highly inaccurate. Would you be able to recommend one that gives accurate results? Tia

It’s a known thing about the insulin and sweetener as well as the cravings. I don’t use a CGM. There’s no need to. I rarely prick my fingers either. I know I’m not eating anything that spikes my blood glucose. For me that’s the simplest most sustainable way.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 6:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow thanks for the info! Yes at this point I'm doing the sleeve for my health. Because I need to lose weight not to run into problems. I never counted carbs before. I found out yesterday that a cup of milk has 12 grams of carbs. Which snacks would be healthy and high carb? I'm so lost!

It’s not as complicated as you think. You have a lot of good advice here

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 6:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow thanks for the info! Yes at this point I'm doing the sleeve for my health. Because I need to lose weight not to run into problems. I never counted carbs before. I found out yesterday that a cup of milk has 12 grams of carbs. Which snacks would be healthy and high carb? I'm so lost!

It’s not as complicated as you think. You have a lot of good advice here

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:55 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
How do cgm work?

You basically wear a patch on your upper arm for 2-3 weeks, and you "read" it by scanning it with a wireless reader device that will download data measured every 15 minutes (or more often on demand).

The patch is put on with a special applicator that does one tiny needle prick and inserts a fine tube into your arm.

As Andrea said, if you are able to go carb free then it is not terribly useful. It is helpful, though, if you are willing to make moderate changes in your diet long-term and want to know how your body reacts to certain foods.

imaima

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Just google all of your questions

someoneoutthere

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 1:09 pm
In terms of diet look at glycemic load ie. The amount of sugar being dumped into your blood at once, not just the glycemic index of the idividual components of your meal.
One small step is to not eat carbs without protein or fat. Having toast in the morning? Add natural peanut butter (most shelf stable peanut butters have loads of sugar) or even regular butter. The proteins and fats slow digestion and therefore modulate the sugar dump.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 10:53 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
Andrea can you share what you mean by sugar damage

I had retinopathy.

amother
Broom

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:10 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
You basically wear a patch on your upper arm for 2-3 weeks, and you "read" it by scanning it with a wireless reader device that will download data measured every 15 minutes (or more often on demand).

The patch is put on with a special applicator that does one tiny needle prick and inserts a fine tube into your arm.

As Andrea said, if you are able to go carb free then it is not terribly useful. It is helpful, though, if you are willing to make moderate changes in your diet long-term and want to know how your body reacts to certain foods.
where do you get one?

amother
Viola

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:24 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
where do you get one?

They are prescription-only in the USA and may not be covered by insurance. But for me the $120 (approximately for reusable reader + one sensor) was worthwhile.

amother
Broom

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:29 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
They are prescription-only in the USA and may not be covered by insurance. But for me the $120 (approximately for reusable reader + one sensor) was worthwhile.
what numbers do you use as a limit to know what to avoid eating?

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:29 pm
amother [ Viola ] wrote:
Will they only prescribe it for diabetics and prediabetics?

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:02 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
Will they only prescribe it for diabetics and prediabetics?

Many doctors that you have a relationship will prescribe it for you if you explain why you want it. Insurance will only cover with a diagnosis obviously.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:04 pm
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
what numbers do you use as a limit to know what to avoid eating?

I personally wanted it to stay under 140 at all times. That threshold (in my understanding) is when sugar damage begins.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:11 pm
Basically eat protein, salads and low starch vegs with healthy fats. You may find you can have 3 ounces of potatoes or sweet potatoes or winter squashes, but you'll have to test.

Whole foods has a great roll/bagel/bread called unbun, unbagel etc. But you can find other things labeled "keto-friendly" if you're desperate for bread.

Some can eat fruit with yogurt and nuts, but must limit the fruit.

The only way to tell is to start testing. 2 hours after a meal your target is between 120 and 140, but if something causes it to go a little higher, try a smaller portion or with more fat.

Although I try to stick to plain unprocessed foods, I was sad the that Mehadrin yogurt bars made me go too high (ha, they used to be made with artificial sweetener which I also avoid...) then my sister said, why don't you just have a half? And that worked!

Brown rice noodles, for example, I can have 30 grams. Sometimes if I'm very hungry I'll have 40 grams, with lots of butter! And it's usually okay. But you have to learn to weigh and measure.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 9:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thanks Andrea for weighing in ... how would I know if artificial sweeteners such as Stevie leaf extract will cause my insulin to spike and blood sugar will go up? Also, sugar damage at 6.4? Wow that's so freaking scary! That's still considered pre-diabetic.
I checked for a glucose monitor on Amazon. All of them one by one have bad reviews that they are highly inaccurate. Would you be able to recommend one that gives accurate results? Tia

Sweetener gives an insulin reaction.

Yes, the damage was very early. Crazy early. But BH. My life is better for it! And the damage healed!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise