Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift for teacher. Would you give cash in this case?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 6:51 am
So by "cash" I mean cash or gift card...

This is a teacher who went way above and beyond for my kid, and I think I can honestly say she changed the course of my daughter's life.

I participated in the class gift for the end of the year but it doesn't seem like enough. Each contribution was really very little and anyway I wanted the chance to express personal appreciation and write a card.

So I got a nice container of chocolates because a card by itself would be small/lonely/insufficient.

Thinking that in the card, I'd also put some cash.

But now my husband is saying that we already contributed to the class gift, plus expensive chocolates, and that's enough...

However, I would really like to give a nicer gift than that! Chocolate, even expensive chocolate, is just candy... And the small contribution to the class gift doesn't feel very meaningful to me.

WWYD?

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 6:57 am
I would give cash. Hakaras hatov knows no bounds.

proudmomma

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:11 am
As a teacher I will say that the main thing is the note. Let her know how much she has impacted your daughter's life! I taught 26 girls this year and received 5 thank you cards- I was very disappointed. (I did get 7gifts which I appreciate)
I read them and keep them to reread when the going gets tough.
Many parents asked for my address and it's been a week and I didn't get anything. A note with specific details that you're grateful for means so much to a hardworking teacher.

OP I would send the chocolate with a nice letter- maybe have your daughter also write one with a few specific memories.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:33 am
Thanks for the responses!

Oh, having my daughter write specific memories is an interesting idea. She already wrote something but it was really short and I couldn't think of what to tell her to add. I'll ask her if she wants to write a little more, if it won't take away from her good feelings about what she already wrote.

Thanks, I mean I guess it makes sense to me that the card is the main thing--I think if I was a teacher, that's how I would feel. (Maybe if I was strapped for cash I'd feel differently--but I don't have a reason to believe that about this teacher.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics