Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Israeli child tests positive for polio
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 8:28 am
Have there been more cases since the initial one?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 8:37 am
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Have you ever seen an iron lung? There's a medical facility in Sefat that has one as a 'museum type of display'. Scary. Scary. But it is the norm for people who were having trouble breathing.

I can't believe that some one would say 'bring on Polio."

We didn't learn from Covid so Hashem is pulling out another card ...

I had never heard of iron lung before last week but it is shown in the most recent episode of Chicago med.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 2:02 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Have there been more cases since the initial one?

2 more positive tests but both asymptomatic.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 7:32 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I had never heard of iron lung before last week but it is shown in the most recent episode of Chicago med.

Today there are ventilators, not iron lungs.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 10:57 pm
Is there an update? Has polio spread? If the vaccination levels are as low as they said, there should be many cases by now.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:11 am
I’ve been following the news. Other than the 3-5 positives with 1 being symptomatic , and positives in sewer testing in different parts of the country, the news had been quiet for about 2 weeks or so. But yesterday and today they have begun reporting on a vaccine campaigns based on suspicions of hundreds of positive asymptomatic cases.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....says/
https://www.jpost.com/breaking.....02527
J post says there may be 3 more positives.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 10:08 am
Seems it climbed to 8 cases.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 8:36 pm
Anyone have any information on this aside for what is being written in the news?

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 10:48 pm
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
Anyone have any information on this aside for what is being written in the news?

The Health Ministry has not updated its epidemiological reports page in about a month. I assume (from experience) that at some point they will upload all of the missing reports at once.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 3:02 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
The Health Ministry has not updated its epidemiological reports page in about a month. I assume (from experience) that at some point they will upload all of the missing reports at once.
Can you post a link to the page?

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, May 22 2022, 1:00 pm
Any updates on this situation?

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Jun 28 2022, 3:27 pm
Any updates please share.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 12:59 am
I guess it was a disappointment from a news point of view. No serious cases, no widespread outbreak to create hysteria and get all of the unvaccinated vilified and safely inoculated.

I am curious why it didn't create a mass outbreak, though. I imagine that a lot of people were not vaccinated or had their immunity worn off. Vaccines aren't foolproof, and polio is (I thought) pretty contagious. Unless it did but polio has somehow mutated and become less dangerous and easier to miss.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 5:25 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I guess it was a disappointment from a news point of view. No serious cases, no widespread outbreak to create hysteria and get all of the unvaccinated vilified and safely inoculated.

I am curious why it didn't create a mass outbreak, though. I imagine that a lot of people were not vaccinated or had their immunity worn off. Vaccines aren't foolproof, and polio is (I thought) pretty contagious. Unless it did but polio has somehow mutated and become less dangerous and easier to miss.

Pretty simple.

Polio wasn't spreading via sewage. It spreads by means of close contact. The people in the specific neighborhoods where the case was discovered rushed to either vaccinate with IPV or give the OPV in addition. They were scared. (Yes, they rushed - within the first three weeks or so hundreds or maybe even thousands of these neighborhoods' residents got vaccinated.)

The bubble itself was pretty small because the neighborhoods are not anti-vax neighborhoods per se, they are mixed and relatively highly vaccinated. So it didn't take long to stop the outbreak.

These communities also aren't the social media communities - most people do not allow internet in their homes and do not have social media.

In addition, polio vaccines don't "wear off" - they are not flu vaccines. Anyone who was missing a dose made it up, anyone who was fully vaccinated years ago is still protected.

Again, all these factors combine to make the bubble very small and easily popped, and to lead to the outbreak not really making the news (because who reads the Health Ministry's updates straight from the Ministry's feed?).

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 5:52 am
great question!
these days who knows....just glad it didn't spread or have an outbreak B"H.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 5:54 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

Because vaccines usually work.

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:35 am
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

Polio isn’t that contagious actually compared to viruses like covid and measles. It spreads somewhat via airborne droplets, but the main way it spreads is via contact with fecal matter so that slows things down. In addition, this was a vaccine strain outbreak, which is even less contagious and very very rarely causes paralysis, so we don’t actually know how much it spread because most cases are asymptomatic. Also, a lot of people did go out and get vaccinated.

The bad news is that polios been detected in London sewage very recently.

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 11:44 am
and now in rockland country...

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Jul 21 2022, 4:09 pm
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
and now in rockland country...

????

amother
Daphne

Post Fri, Jul 22 2022, 8:00 am
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
????
There’s been a confirmed case of polio in rock land county, NY. It’s all over the news.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics