Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How long did it take you to get a government job?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:33 am
If you work for the government, how many years did it take you of applying to get a government job? How many jobs did you apply to? I have a Masters degree and 10 years of job experience but I always get rejected. My resume meets all the guidelines and is very detailed. Is it normal to take a long time?

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:25 am
Do you mean a federal, state, or city job?

amother
Offwhite

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you work for the government, how many years did it take you of applying to get a government job? How many jobs did you apply to? I have a Masters degree and 10 years of job experience but I always get rejected. My resume meets all the guidelines and is very detailed. Is it normal to take a long time?

re: US federal jobs, the input I got when I was toying around with federal jobs (which I didn't end up pursuing): use as many of the exact same key words as the job description, repeatedly. Their "smart" HR filters aren't that smart.

I don't work for the gov't, but I work for a federal prime contractor. You may want to look into those too if there are contractors in your location. The long lead item on those is often the security clearance, which is often applicable.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:11 am
Yes, I did. I applied to 3 jobs and received two offers. You have to learn how to apply through the system and filters. I loved working for the federal government. I had an awesome job.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:17 am
Have you ever been contacted for an interview?
I know lots of people who applied, all with a BA. You don't need a graduate degree. It took some time to get a initial interview but once they did, it didn't take long till they got a job offer. And once you're in the system, you can move to other government jobs fairly easily.
If you haven't gotten a single interview in 10 years, make sure you are completing the application correctly and that you are applying for jobs that connect to your background/skills.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics