Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Becoming a Life Coach

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:41 am
I've recently been toying with the idea of becoming a life coach or something similar. Bh I am someone that people can talk to and from the feedback I get, they like what I have to say Smile
There has been a lot of posts on this site against life coaches, and I honestly understand where its coming from (lack of clear accreditation etc). Becoming a full therapist is not for me (as of now at least) but I was wondering what would b the best way to become a life coach/mentor or something similar- that would provide proper credibility and accreditation.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:55 am
There's no "proper" credibility and accreditation with coaching. There just isn't. It's not regulated, etc. You can do a program and get some letters after your name, but really, whether a coach is good at it--including having good character, professionalism, knowing their limits, etc. seems to be what someone makes of it and can't really be guaranteed, etc. with some outside training or cert, etc.

I would find something that seems legit and useful in terms of training, and is reasonably affordable, etc. and go from there if you want to try the coach route. For example, it may be useful to understand what are the various approaches to coaching----it's not all or even mostly just "giving advice".

But what the training may not do for you is ensure you have character and business drive/acumen, and know your limits as a coach (vs. a licensed health professional). You may have to seek out individual mentors or resources in that vein.

Last edited by NotInNJMommy on Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:55 am
I plan on becoming a life/dating coach too I'yh and am looking into this course that starts in November
https://www.torahpsychology.org/lifecoaching

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:58 am
That course actually sounds really interesting to me

Once someone is a life coach- how would they go about gaining the credibility they need?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 10:11 am
Every therapist needs to attend therapy if I understand correctly.

There is also mentoring and supervision over a therapist.

Perhaps you can ask your supervision for guidance.
I assume you have been to therapy ot have been coached before and can get some guidance there.

I don't think it's possible to be accredited without going for any formal schooling at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 10:39 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Every therapist needs to attend therapy if I understand correctly.

There is also mentoring and supervision over a therapist.

Perhaps you can ask your supervision for guidance.
I assume you have been to therapy ot have been coached before and can get some guidance there.

I don't think it's possible to be accredited without going for any formal schooling at all.

I said above- I am not looking to become a therapist. I have been thinking of becoming a life coach...

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 10:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I said above- I am not looking to become a therapist. I have been thinking of becoming a life coach...

You have never been to therapy? If that’s the case I don’t think you should be seeking to become a life coach without having gone through therapy. IMHO

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 10:56 am
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
You have never been to therapy? If that’s the case I don’t think you should be seeking to become a life coach without having gone through therapy. IMHO

Can you explain why?

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:00 am
A-you need to understand therapy and when it would be appropriate to defer to a therapist. I don’t think you can do this without having experienced this.
B- I would think you need to have done significant self development and growth to be an effective life coach and I really think it’s rare for that not to include therapy.
Perhaps if you wanted to be a career or business or like time management coach it would be dif. But if you are looking at a life coach which deals with things much closer to therapy you must have knowledge of therapy process as it relates to emotional and mental health

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you explain why?

It isn't accepted or recommended in the world of psychology.

I would never recommend a potential client to a therapist or coach who has never been to a therapist before. Especially one who does not have any supervision at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:07 am
Thank you Jetblack and Skyblue. You've definitely given me what to think about

In all honesty, I've never been to therapy, although dh has been encouraging me to go to go so I can deal with some things that need to be dealt with. I do agree that I need to go, but I am so nervous to take that step even though I do want to. Thank you for bringing out this point and I hear what you are saying and agree with your points. (Maybe this will be my motivation to go take care of my issues...)

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:09 am
You can always get your associates in counseling. It’s only 2 years and is cheaper. At least that has some sort of licensure. Life coaching isn’t a regulated practice.
If you do want to take the life coaching rout, know your limits and know when it’s time to refer to a licensed therapist

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:14 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
You can always get your associates in counseling. It’s only 2 years and is cheaper. At least that has some sort of licensure. Life coaching isn’t a regulated practice.
If you do want to take the life coaching rout, know your limits and know when it’s time to refer to a licensed therapist

What can you do with such a degree-its not a license...

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you Jetblack and Skyblue. You've definitely given me what to think about

In all honesty, I've never been to therapy, although dh has been encouraging me to go to go so I can deal with some things that need to be dealt with. I do agree that I need to go, but I am so nervous to take that step even though I do want to. Thank you for bringing out this point and I hear what you are saying and agree with your points. (Maybe this will be my motivation to go take care of my issues...)

You need to be at least as brave as your clients 😉.

Good luck on your journey.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've recently been toying with the idea of becoming a life coach or something similar. Bh I am someone that people can talk to and from the feedback I get, they like what I have to say Smile
There has been a lot of posts on this site against life coaches, and I honestly understand where its coming from (lack of clear accreditation etc). Becoming a full therapist is not for me (as of now at least) but I was wondering what would b the best way to become a life coach/mentor or something similar- that would provide proper credibility and accreditation.

That is the reason why people are against life coaches. Because there is no credibility or accreditation. There is NOTHING stopping anyone from saying they are a life coach including my neighbors 1 year old or the felon in jail. There are no requirements to call yourself a life coach. There are no minimum educational, training or supervision requirements. Even "highly rated" programs have no oversight and can do/teach what they want to whoever they want. No regulatory boards. No license to revoke if life coaches are unethical. No requirements to keep confidentiality. They literally can go and tell your spouse, neighbor, your kids principal and teachers everything you said in session. Because they are not bound by confidentiality. I could go on.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What can you do with such a degree-its not a license...

It’s something, it gets your foot in the door for some jobs ( crisis intervention centers, clinics, etc- great experience), and if you do decide to take it further, you can always apply those credits towards a bachelors. There may even be BA-MA tracks that you can get into with an associates degree.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 11:47 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
You need to be at least as brave as your clients 😉.

Good luck on your journey.

Thank you!

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 12:31 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

How would I go about getting an associates? And do clinics hire with just and associate in counseling?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics