Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Baltimore trip
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:59 am
Suggestions for hotel to stay in close to the stores and restaurants as we will not have a car. We can Uber, we want a safe hotel but not to far from stores and restaurants to avoid high Uber costs. Thanks

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:09 am
The doubletree Pikesville Hilton is across from target and close to seasons, goldbergs bagels, Mama leahs pizza, and bowling across the street.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
The doubletree Pikesville Hilton is across from target and close to seasons, goldbergs bagels, Mama leahs pizza, and bowling across the street.

And Taam Thai

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:50 am
Is this near reissertown rd for shopping for clothes 😉😉

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:38 am
Double tree is on Reisterstown road. Hats to hose is further down Reisterstown by the candy store u can’t walk can take an Uber. Seven mile market has any food or take out u need.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:44 am
Double tree is on Reisterstown road. Hats to hose is further down Reisterstown by the candy store u can’t walk can take an Uber. Seven mile market has any food or take out u need.

Sorry but this is very much a baltimore response Smile of course you can walk, it just might take a bit Smile The Mimi Boutique is relatively close by, and Oo Lala, Sheek, and B’dazzle are all located right near each other, also further down Reisterstown. There’s also Belle Bambini for kids shopping, just a few blocks away as well. Most people in Baltimore drive everywhere and don’t really walk places, but everything is walkable.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:55 am
It could take an hour to walk to hats to hose from the doubletree!! It’s probably a 8-10 minute drive. And it’s hot and humid in Baltimore. No shuls right near doubletree but ner yisroel not too far (need to Uber) Or TA area has shuls down old court road (again uber)

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:05 am

Seasons is now Market Maven, and according to Google Maps is less than a 10 minute walk from the Pikeville Doubletree. Market Maven is a supermarket and has take-out food. Milk and Honey Bistro is also less than a 10-minute walk but a different direction.

amother
Poppy

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:09 am
Doubletree is closer to market maven for food. Out of curiosity, how are you coming to Baltimore? No one uses public transportation. Would you be open to renting a car?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:29 am
We just stayed at the DoubleTree for a week (not shabbos) and it was wonderful. Such a quick drive to lots of food options, Target across the street, and very quick drive to the frum community (we came for family simcha).
Highly recommended.
But we rented a car. No one really walks in Baltimore.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:17 pm
Market Maven is walkable, probably 10-15 minutes (if you have little kids, probably longer). The rest of the Jewish stores mentioned would likely be at least a 30 minute walk each way. Hats to Hose would probably be an hour each way. It gets very hot and humid in Baltimore during the day, if you are planning to walk, just an fyi.
You can take an MTA bus down Reisterstown Rd but I know there have been dangerous incidents on the buses in the past several years and I don't know anybody frum who takes them anymore.
DoubleTree is the closest, decent hotel. You can easily do Ubereats from kosher restaurants to the hotel, btw.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:26 pm
I mean... you CAN walk from the Doubletree to the kosher places... but you have to cross a highway and then walk along a busy street... it's not pleasant. It's super hot and humid here in the summer and there is no shade along the way. I would not want to do that.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:26 pm
There really is plenty within walking distance of the Doubletree, although I agree with you that us Baltimoreans are not used to walking (unless we drive to the Quarry to take a walk!). For OP - here is a list of food options within 30 minute walking distance from the hotel, per Google Maps:

Market Maven - full supermarket with takeout: 7 minute walk

Club Centre: 12 minute walk. This shopping center contains the following:
Goldberg's Bagels
Mama Leah's Pizza
Sprinkles Ice Cream (in Mama Leah's)
Taam Thai (Fleishig Asian and Sushi)

Kosher Dunkin Donuts by Old Court: 10 minutes

Sushi Sakura: 12 minutes

Caramel's Pizza and Ice Cream: 21 minutes

Yesh Hummus and Grill (Fleishig Israeli): 21 minutes

Dougie's: 24 minutes

Knish Shop: 27 minutes

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:30 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
There really is plenty within walking distance of the Doubletree, although I agree with you that us Baltimoreans are not used to walking (unless we drive to the Quarry to take a walk!). For OP - here is a list of food options within 30 minute walking distance from the hotel, per Google Maps:

Market Maven - full supermarket with takeout: 7 minute walk

Club Centre: 12 minute walk. This shopping center contains the following:
Goldberg's Bagels
Mama Leah's Pizza
Sprinkles Ice Cream (in Mama Leah's)
Taam Thai (Fleishig Asian and Sushi)

Kosher Dunkin Donuts by Old Court: 10 minutes

Sushi Sakura: 12 minutes

Caramel's Pizza and Ice Cream: 21 minutes

Yesh Hummus and Grill (Fleishig Israeli): 21 minutes

Dougie's: 24 minutes

Knish Shop: 27 minutes

I used to walk to and from Pikesville Library all the time to the Fallstaff area when I was a teen, not to mention a nearby orthodontist office not far from the DoubleTree...so I know the walking time and I bet to differ, lol. Pretty much all of your walking times are an underestimation of actual walking times. Definitely with kids.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:30 pm
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
I mean... you CAN walk from the Doubletree to the kosher places... but you have to cross a highway and then walk along a busy street... it's not pleasant. It's super hot and humid here in the summer and there is no shade along the way. I would not want to do that.

You only have to cross a highway if you are going to the Bistro or anywhere in the direction of Owings Mills, which I agree with you is not safe. For all the Pikesville restaurants, you just make a right out of the Doubletree and walk. There are sidewalks and the county just spent a ton of $$ installing benches all along that area.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:31 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
I used to walk to and from Pikesville Library all the time to the Fallstaff area when I was a teen, not to mention a nearby orthodontist office not far from the DoubleTree...so I know the walking time and I bet to differ, lol. Pretty much all of your walking times are an underestimation of actual walking times.

I didn't make up the times - it's from Google Maps. I consider that a pretty reliable source. I have walked it plenty of times as well.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:32 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
I didn't make up the times - it's from Google Maps. I consider that a pretty reliable source. I have walked it plenty of times as well.

I disagree with Google maps, then LOL And I was a pretty brisk walker at the time.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:41 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
I disagree with Google maps, then LOL And I was a pretty brisk walker at the time.

Even if you add 5-7 minutes to each time, it's still walkable, but in any event the OP said she is fine with Ubers, just didn't want too far because of the cost. Switching to driving direction, Market Maven is 2 minutes and Club Center is 3 months. I do this drive every single day and that's accurate.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:46 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
You only have to cross a highway if you are going to the Bistro or anywhere in the direction of Owings Mills, which I agree with you is not safe. For all the Pikesville restaurants, you just make a right out of the Doubletree and walk. There are sidewalks and the county just spent a ton of $$ installing benches all along that area.

Ok. I've never walked it, I've only driven past it (like every day!), so I just imagined you would have to cross the highway also.

amother
Peony

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:50 pm
amother [ Stoneblue ] wrote:
Ok. I've never walked it, I've only driven past it (like every day!), so I just imagined you would have to cross the highway also.

The Doubletree and Target are the last stops before the beltway, coming from the direction of the City. I definitely would not walk on Reisterstown anywhere past those points as that intersection is difficult to navigate even when behind the wheel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics