Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
So many grocery store post here are some tips

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 6:00 am
There are so many grocery store post about inflation recently and I figured I would get some of my tips.
I started be more conscious about grocery prices probably nine-ish years ago. I started small then went Coupon crazy I got so many good deals and free/ Money making deals. As the years went Some stores got stricter with the use of coupons and apps also Company started producing less coupons. At this point it’s so minimal even sales are Not as good.
But in general It helps to start looking at prices notice how much a product is. Make a base point I don’t wanna spend more than X amount on a box of cereal. So let’s say you don’t want to spend more than 2.50 which is high you will only buy the few boxes That are on sale that week. If your kids like life and it’s on sale buy a few extra boxes and hide them away the next week Cheerios are on sale buy a few extra boxes and put them away, and then you have a little of a stockpile of cereal that doesn’t cost too much.
You don’t wanna have to spend your whole Sunday or whatever your grocery shopping day is running to so many stores. So let’s say you want to do an aldis Or Walmart run Whatever items you’re buying there by at least 2 to 3 weeks worth so you’re going less. I personally try to do my Aldi’s once a month I don’t keep cy but they have a lot of parve also . I will buy a few packages of each thing we like there and put it away. So it’s not too much running in one day or week . Somethings also depends on if your brand loyal If a different brand of soap/ shampoo is on sale will you switch? Pharmacy stores such as CVS Walgreens and Rite Aid will have deals on things like soap and shampoo’s. I even like ShopRite for things like that more than target.
Between sales in certain brands you should never have to pay more than $.99 for a box of pasta. Tuna is cheaper in Walmart and Aldi but the Price to go up like $.10. cy ice cream in aldis in under $2.
With produce I try to buy what is on sale at that point for examples if strawberries are five dollars I’m not gonna buy them but .99-1.50 I do We have farmers markets by us I used to only go once in a while. But now make it like every week and a half I end up with a lot more produce which my kids love and spending way less than I would if I were in the local grocery For example honeydew 2.50 not $7.
It really hurts me so much right now looking at prices and watching a slowly rise because I notice the $.20 raise. And the huge jumps also
Another thing for another post is learning how to make budget friendly healthy meals

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 6:13 am
Another thing to be aware of is product "shrinkflation " — reducing the amount of cereal or tissues in a box or ounces in a drink or candy bar, often while keeping the packaging the same.

https://nbc-2.com/news/2022/06.....same/

https://marketrealist.com/p/sh.....list/

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 6:29 am
Excellent post!
I add:
Some items are always seasonal sales. Others come in regular cycles like tuna and tehina.
Chanukka=lamp oil and olive oil. Jam flour baking powder and sugar powder for sufganiot.
Yom kippur: yizkor candles and two or three day candles
January: always sales of seasonings for some reason
Around purim you'll find sales on cleaning supplies etc.
I live in israel

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:33 am
The farmers markets are cheaper than the fruit stores in Brooklyn? I had no idea. Will definitely be checking it out next week. Do they only take cash or card as well?

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:49 am
Check the flyers for sales before going to the stores. This website lists lots of weekly flyers, you can check it out for comparison and see who has the best deals that week-- https://weekly-ads.us/category

If stores have free internal members cards for discounts and coupons then sign up. Shoprite for example, has free cards then you download digital coupons on the card (through their website but you can do it in the store as well) for additional savings. https://www.shoprite.com/sm/pi.....ation

I have seen some really good prices for produce at Asian markets.

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:07 am
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
The farmers markets are cheaper than the fruit stores in Brooklyn? I had no idea. Will definitely be checking it out next week. Do they only take cash or card as well?

Not in my experience. In NY they are more expensive.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:24 am

OP never gave her location. I would not automatically assume it's Brooklyn.

keym

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:28 am
Some classic ones.

Always come with a list and follow it.
Eat a snack before shopping to avoid hunger buying.
Avoid bringing your kids with (especially if they're like mine who ask for everything)

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:55 am
It doesn't always pay to stock up on huge amounts.

First of all, lots of items (cereal, pretzels, etc) can go stale if it's sitting your pantry for months and months.
Second, a lot of times people who rush to buy tons of soap or toothbrushes or whatever forget what they have and end up buying more when they already have a lot stockpiles.

It doesn't pay to use a coupon for something you don't need--unless you manage to double the coupons and get it free somehow, you are still putting out money.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:00 am
My kids are getting older so I started going with my husband later at night and its good to have another opinion like do we really need this. Sometimes he is right we dont.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:15 am

Sorry I don’t live in Brooklyn the produce store is called farmers market not Actual farmers selling produce but cheaper then buying it in the grocery stores

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:20 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
It doesn't always pay to stock up on huge amounts.

First of all, lots of items (cereal, pretzels, etc) can go stale if it's sitting your pantry for months and months.
Second, a lot of times people who rush to buy tons of soap or toothbrushes or whatever forget what they have and end up buying more when they already have a lot stockpiles.

It doesn't pay to use a coupon for something you don't need--unless you manage to double the coupons and get it free somehow, you are still putting out money.

Yes 💯% when stockpiling you need to keep track and rotate properly . Closed cereal last almost a year watch the dates on them . When I couponed when I was well stocked I would take brakes and use what I had unless a super crazy deal it helped with waste and weeks of even less shopping . It also helped during lockdown when stores were low on stuff we had what we needed

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:21 am
amother [ Heather ] wrote:
Not in my experience. In NY they are more expensive.

I found that some farmers market just exit because of WIC checks, those are the most expensive
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics