Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Attention seeking Influencers?
Previous  1  2  3  4

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Have you Read through all the posts?

I did. But you seem extraordinarily invested in a platform you don't actually have. Either you deleted the app today, or you haven't. Either way, you haven't had enough time to walk away. I deleted instagram a while back so I don't have any feelings about it anymore. Other than the fact that I wish my relatives wouldn't put their kids on it, but it's their life.

I want to bring up a different point, though. Maybe you can understand instagram hosts in a different way. Some women are really going through tremendous loneliness. For whatever reason, they don't have a loving support system. I could list you five influencers off the top of my head from a while back that it was obvious they were suffering. They had an acrimonious divorce, they were about to get an acrimonious divorce but it hadn't happened yet ("I love you honey! Thanks for being the best husband!"), they were single, or they had been unduly ignored as a child.

Can you forgive them for needing a little validation at the end of the day? The hope for one person, just one, to tell them that they're pretty, or smart, or creative, or interesting? And to get that one little positive feedback, they had to wade through 5x that obnoxious comments?

For other people who aren't using instagram to bolster their own sadness, there's also the fact that we all believe ourselves to be the star in our very own play. We see the world from inside our eyes, with our own brain to translate the world and download it. Is it that much of a leap to conclude that we are a star not just in our own head but on the screen?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:52 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
I will stop posting if that is what you wish, but I just want to explain my previous post. I am not accusing you of anything, I am simply stating that your posts seem to be emotionally charged in a way that people might consider contradictory to your act of deleting Instagram. You are not indifferent, quite the contrary in fact. So perhaps your quality of life would be enhanced if you truly let go of all these strong feelings associated with Instagram and its influencers. And to clarify why I mentioned middos, it was in response to terms like narcissism and attention seeking (said in a negative way, because let’s face it, as humans we all crave attention) that have been mentioned upthread.

This thread is about discussing an observation. I am confused as to why this triggers you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 9:59 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
I did. But you seem extraordinarily invested in a platform you don't actually have. Either you deleted the app today, or you haven't. Either way, you haven't had enough time to walk away. I deleted instagram a while back so I don't have any feelings about it anymore. Other than the fact that I wish my relatives wouldn't put their kids on it, but it's their life.

I want to bring up a different point, though. Maybe you can understand instagram hosts in a different way. Some women are really going through tremendous loneliness. For whatever reason, they don't have a loving support system. I could list you five influencers off the top of my head from a while back that it was obvious they were suffering. They had an acrimonious divorce, they were about to get an acrimonious divorce but it hadn't happened yet ("I love you honey! Thanks for being the best husband!"), they were single, or they had been unduly ignored as a child.

Can you forgive them for needing a little validation at the end of the day? The hope for one person, just one, to tell them that they're pretty, or smart, or creative, or interesting? And to get that one little positive feedback, they had to wade through 5x that obnoxious comments?

For other people who aren't using instagram to bolster their own sadness, there's also the fact that we all believe ourselves to be the star in our very own play. We see the world from inside our eyes, with our own brain to translate the world and download it. Is it that much of a leap to conclude that we are a star not just in our own head but on the screen?

That makes perfectly sense if they need attention, validation and compliments, if they have in the past, or are currently going through challenges or difficulties.
And indeed if this is the reason, then I feel even more sorry and sad for them.
I sincerely hope that whatever they have gone through or going through now, gets resolved and that they can find healing and comfort.

imorethanamother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 10:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That makes perfectly sense if they need attention, validation and compliments, if they have in the past, or are currently going through challenges or difficulties.
And indeed if this is the reason, then I feel even more sorry and sad for them.
I sincerely hope that whatever they have gone through or going through now, gets resolved and that they can find healing and comfort.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to pity people. At the end of the day, everyone just wants to be heard. Even you, OP, on this platform. We point fingers, but aren't we quite similar? Just because no one sees our face doesn't mean we aren't also seeking validation.

amother
Maize

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 12:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This thread is about discussing an observation. I am confused as to why this triggers you.

Seriously Confused

imaima

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:49 am
[quote="amother [ OP ]"][b]
Quote:
And that is so so fake. They are literally being paid to make you believe that the dresses from ABC shop are cute so that you should go and order them.
It works because the masses get Influenced. They follow like sheep.

But if you don’t like them, you won’t biy them.
Influencers show that there are these dresses out there. And then the consumer may get interested and buy them.

Why do consumers remove their own judgment from the equation? They don’t need to follow like sheep

imaima

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:53 am
amother [ Cyclamen ] wrote:
Are you jealous that others are getting all that positive feedback? Deep down maybe a little.

Maybe a lot!
This thread is a joke.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:55 am
imaima wrote:
Maybe a lot!
This thread is a joke.

So why are you following and chiming in?

imaima

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 3:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I am confused why Instagram triggers you.
Instagram is a way some people make money or network.
Are you upset at amazon sellers? They show their products off! How dare they! They want your dollrs but the products may even be bad (oh horror)!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 3:28 am
imaima wrote:
Are you upset at amazon sellers? They show their products off! How dare they! They want your dollrs but the products may even be bad (oh horror)!

Are you the appointed spokeswoman for banana?

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Am I the only one that gets the impression that some frum influencers on IG seem to be in need of attention?

Am I wrong in viewing some of their content (posts and stories) as "showing off"

What is your take on this?
Please do not mention any specific names.
Absolutely agree 100%

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:14 am
imaima wrote:
you don't see a difference between Amazon products being 'show off'ed' and an influencer show off'ing her life on Instagram??

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:18 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
you don't see a difference between Amazon products being 'show off'ed' and an influencer show off'ing her life on Instagram??

How else does a person do the job of 'social media influencer' for lifestyle products.

JenniferK

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:40 am
What turns me off is when I follow an influencer for her talent and then she veers off track.

For example:

I love the kitchen. I love cooking and baking. I love watching people cook.

I follow a lot of foodies. One of them used to be plain, simple and Hungarian. All of a sudden it became fake, magazine style and unrealistic. I still like watching her cook.

What I don’t like is the fact that she became a rebbetzin. She talks about hashkafa etc. I just completely skip over these stories. This is not what I came for.

But just because you have a lot of followers that doesn’t make you a bal darshan. She isn’t qualified. Isn’t equipped etc. sometimes says things that would turn seeking people away.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:16 am
JenniferK wrote:
What turns me off is when I follow an influencer for her talent and then she veers off track.

For example:

I love the kitchen. I love cooking and baking. I love watching people cook.

I follow a lot of foodies. One of them used to be plain, simple and Hungarian. All of a sudden it became fake, magazine style and unrealistic. I still like watching her cook.

What I don’t like is the fact that she became a rebbetzin. She talks about hashkafa etc. I just completely skip over these stories. This is not what I came for.

But just because you have a lot of followers that doesn’t make you a bal darshan. She isn’t qualified. Isn’t equipped etc. sometimes says things that would turn seeking people away.

This! If u have a hair account I don’t want to see u hawking clothes. If u cook don’t tell me how to be a better Jew. I left a few months ago bc ppl were trying to educate me on clothes, restaurants, hashkafa etc when their account started with their original talent and expertise of organizing for example. Anyways I think we can all agree it has become completely FAKE and bc we live in a democracy anyone has the ability and option to use that platform follow whomever they want!

imaima

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:46 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

Yes I see a difference. These are two different way to promote something.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics