Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergic to Pea milk?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:29 pm
My son is allergic to peanuts, milk and a few other things.
Someone suggested I try to feed him Pea milk, as it has far more protien than almond milk.
Well, I put some Pea milk (Ripple) into his oatmeal and he had a pretty instant allergic reaction.

Anyone else find that their peanut allergic child is also allergic to peas or other legumes? Wondering how common this is.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:40 pm
xxxx

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:41 pm
Yes, my child has a nut allergy and then developed an allergy to peas and beans . Soy is also a legume btw

keym

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:45 pm
Yup. My peanut allergic child is deathly allergic to peas.
Also quite allergic to chickpeas, lentils, string beans, various beans, and soy (though is ok with soybean oil).
Be aware that many soup mixes, parve cheese, and extra protein pasta have peas either pea protein or dehydrated peas.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 7:54 pm
keym wrote:
Also quite allergic to chickpeas, lentils, string beans, various beans, and soy (though is ok with soybean oil).
Be aware that many soup mixes, parve cheese, and extra protein pasta have peas either pea protein or dehydrated peas.

Yes keym - my child all the above too . . Just a note as per my allergist/ many children allergic to soy are allergic to the flour and protein , not the oil or lecithin…

keym

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:00 pm
amother [ Rainbow ] wrote:
Yes keym - my child all the above too . . Just a note as per my allergist/ many children allergic to soy are allergic to the flour and protein , not the oil or lecithin…

Yeah.
That makes sense.
My kids biggest frustration is that they can't have parve ice cream- it makes their throat swell.
I buy lots before Pesach.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Someone suggested I try to fed him Pea milk, asit has far more protien than almond milk.
Well, I put some Pea milk (Ripple) into his oatmeal and he had a pretty instant allergic reaction.

Anyone else find that their peanut allergic child is also allergic to peas or other legumes? Wondering how common this is.

Peas are legumes. He probably should not eat beans of any kind.

amother
Rainbow

Post Wed, Jun 29 2022, 8:30 pm
keym wrote:
Yeah.
That makes sense.
My kids biggest frustration is that they can't have parve ice cream- it makes their throat swell.
I buy lots before Pesach.

I used to but more recently some brands don’t have - Abe’s parvelicious is usually ok ( some new flavors like the sorbet and ice cream mix are not) and we happen to like it better, less whip cream like taste

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:31 am
Op here. He actually does well with cholent. I use whatever is in the cholent mix.
I haven't tried any other legumes, though he probably has had soy as well.
With the Ripple milk, it was a pretty quick reaction.

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Op here. He actually does well with cholent. I use whatever is in the cholent mix.
I haven't tried any other legumes, though he probably has had soy as well.
With the Ripple milk, it was a pretty quick reaction.

Chulent is cooked for many hours and likely denatures the epitopes required for the allergic reaction.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:37 am
He could also be allergic to only some legumes. Worth checking out as they can test for each individually.
My kid also had an instant reaction to one sip of Ripple. He's extremely allergic to peas and some other legumes.

keym

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:39 am
amother [ Offwhite ] wrote:
Chulent is cooked for many hours and likely denatures the epitopes required for the allergic reaction.

Or he's allergic to peas but not all beans.
The same way some people are allergic to cashews but not almonds.

My allergist said that there's a progression list. Some legumes are more similar to peas and some are less.
Lentils and chickpeas are more similar.
Kidney beans, navy beans, are less similar.

Each person is a little different, how he processes his food.

And as allergic moms, we become experts in understanding the minute differences.

My child has a friend who can eat her mother's cholent (with beans) but can't eat her aunt's because her aunt uses chickpeas in her bean mix.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:39 am
keym wrote:

Peas are in everything. My kid is gluten free and vegan cause of allergies- lots of these alternative foods contain peas, even baked goods. I've even found pea ingredients in some candies. Check labels on everything, even things you wouldn't dream would have peas.

keym

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:44 am
amother [ NeonBlue ] wrote:
Peas are in everything. My kid is gluten free and vegan cause of allergies- lots of these alternative foods contain peas, even baked goods. I've even found pea ingredients in some candies. Check labels on everything, even things you wouldn't dream would have peas.

Yeah.
So BH my kids aren't gluten free and aren't vegan.
We use a lot of chicken and meat.
During the Nine Days we spend hours with our Rav for each child figuring out who should and shouldn't be makpid on fleishigs. (Some of my allergic kids are over bar/bas mitzvah).
But food is very expensive because we can't make cheap, vegetarians options.

Is your kid allergic to chickpeas also? For me that's the kicker. I find even more things have chickpea flour or protein than peas.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:57 am
keym wrote:
Yeah.
During the Nine Days we spend hours with our Rav for each child figuring out who should and shouldn't be makpid on fleishigs. (Some of my allergic kids are over bar/bas mitzvah).

Is your kid allergic to chickpeas also? For me that's the kicker. I find even more things have chickpea flour or protein than peas.

Yes, all legumes. And nuts. Seeds. Spices. Etc.
And I agree that food is expensive. And then the kid comes home from school with a full lunchbox of expensive food that goes straight to the trash. Or is it only my kid who doesn't eat?

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Someone suggested I try to feed him Pea milk, as it has far more protien than almond milk.

Unfortunately legumes are not an uncommon allergy. My child is allergic to chickpeas.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:18 am
keym wrote:
Yeah.

My kid is only 2.5. He has food avoidance, so he barely eats anything out of the few foods he knows he likes.
He has never tried chickpeas, pea soup or most foods.
He likes oatmeal and cholent. And potato chips. He has never eaten chicken, and is allergic to dairy, fish and eggs.

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:30 am
Try oatmilk. It has more fat and protein than almond milk and probably comparable to soymilk but less concern about allergies and sensitivities. If your toddler can eat oatmeal than you really probably don't need to worry about any allergens in oatmilk.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 11:08 am
I have 2 kids with severe peanut allergy, besides fortheir other allergies- dairy, soy, eggs, tree nuts, sesame and sunflower seeds, beef, coconut, and corn. Both of them eat plenty of legumes without any problem. It's a separate allergy and you can and should ask your allergist to test for each legume separately.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 11:15 am
My child whose allergic to legumes developed it over time. Was always allergic to nuts but ate chulent beans chick peas etc no problem. At around age 8 all of a sudden developed the legume/ soy allergy. Literally ate chulent and pareve ice cream one week and had allergic reaction the next.
Got tested every year and it didn’t come up until then for beans peas and soy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics