Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
At what age can a child understand not to go in the street?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 10:56 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
Every child is different. My 2nd was very mature and understood a lot. By 2.5 she totally understood. Didn't stop someone from calling the cops on me (I happened to come outside before they showed up). We all have different awareness. My 11 year old is amazing at crossing the street. Has been for a full year now. Her sister is almost 9 and I don't know if I can trust her at 10, she admitted she has no patience.

You left a 2.5 year old outside alone? And happened to come outside before they showed up? I hope I'm misunderstanding..

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 11:06 pm
OP, Coventry has a large gated playground.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 11:13 pm
amother [ Antiquewhite ] wrote:
Every child is different. My 2nd was very mature and understood a lot. By 2.5 she totally understood. Didn't stop someone from calling the cops on me (I happened to come outside before they showed up). We all have different awareness. My 11 year old is amazing at crossing the street. Has been for a full year now. Her sister is almost 9 and I don't know if I can trust her at 10, she admitted she has no patience.

There’s a big leap from trusting that a child won’t run into the street to being able to leave a child alone outside unsupervised

mig100

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For background- I have twin toddlers who are almost 2. I live in a basement apartment in a development in Lakewood. Nobody has backyards, the people who have houses have large porches in the back but mostly the kids just play in the front of the house. Basement people for sure do.

There are no fenced in areas and we live on a fairly busy street. I'm terrified of letting my toddlers walk outside because I'm afraid they will run into the street. They move really fast and I can't chase both at once! I literally will not let them play outside unless I have my husband with me which is is not very often. I used to have chessed girls take them outside twice a week but they stopped for the summer.

Is it possible to teach a not-yet turned two year old not to run into the street? We speak about it all the time, they know intellectually to say "no street." I tried taking them inside when they go in the street but I somewhow feel like they just don't understand. Is there any way to stop them from running into the street, thinking its funny? Are they just too young? Or is there something I can do?

DISCLAIMER: I am asking this not because I don't want to run after my kids. No matter what I would do my best to keep them within arms reach of an adult when they are outside. Just wondering if there was a better way to impart this message to kids this young as an extra layer of security.

Thats really tough.

I would only let them play in an enclosed playground. Its I hard age when they are old enough to be active and too you to understand much. I would keep them in a carriage if we are anywhere near the street.

If your development doesnt have a playground, thats hard

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:14 pm
Just wanted to update- I took my twins to Canterbury park today and it was perfect! Completely gated, small enough that I didn't lose anyone, plus it was quite shady and tons of fun!

Thank you imas for the suggestion! Will definitely be going back!

mig100

Post Mon, Aug 22 2022, 9:52 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
There is a park on Canterbury (by 14 st) thats fully enclosed.
Perfect for that age (and all ages) they can entertain themselves because theres a long ramp to the little slides my son loves it.

does anyone have adress of that park?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics