Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Lakewood area grocery budget for family of 7 ages 15-8
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 2:29 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Yes I budget and keep track of all my spendings. The numbers are accurate and account for the higher costs we are now paying.
I will say that I have had friends with smaller families who also dont host as much and they were in disbelief when I told them my numbers. One of them did try to implement. What they found was that by stopping to go to the grocery store without a shopping list and by going less frequently they cut their budget to less than half of what it was before. (To begin with they were paying way more than me and now they are way less which makes sense based on their family size.)

This doesn't seem to make sense to me unless you're not buying fresh produce or snack bags for your kids.

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if you answered this but do you feel comfortable writing your basic grocery list

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 3:40 pm
amother [ Yolk ] wrote:
This doesn't seem to make sense to me unless you're not buying fresh produce or snack bags for your kids.

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't know if you answered this but do you feel comfortable writing your basic grocery list

It changes by the week so dont think it's of much help. Those of you who are spending more and cant understand my numbers- are you going to the store with or without a list? Are you going multiple times?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 3:58 pm
Aside for everything going up, nobody’s kids go to the store to get nosh for their trips or to take to sleepaway camp? That adds another few hundred to my bill each summer. (Not that it’s a MUST but it’s kind of something that I can’t say no to because most kids bring nosh)

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 4:03 pm
We're a family of six, including two teenagers. I keep my food only bill under 300 a week easily, by shopping mainly at Walmart. I buy a LOT of produce, that's most of my order. I really only shop in kosher stores for meat/ chicken, which we eat about three times a week plus shabbos, and dairy (which we don't eat a lot of either). Plus the odd item that I can't get at Walmart or happens to be cheaper in kosher stores. My fridge and pantry are always full BH.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 4:39 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Aside for everything going up, nobody’s kids go to the store to get nosh for their trips or to take to sleepaway camp? That adds another few hundred to my bill each summer. (Not that it’s a MUST but it’s kind of something that I can’t say no to because most kids bring nosh)

This is precisely my question!!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 4:41 pm
It's hard to make a monthly budget because I buy large quantities of chicken, meat and fish around yom tov time at better prices. I'll use up those before I buy anymore.
When I go to shoprite(rarely now that they moved further from lakewood ) I'll buy everything that I use on reg basis that's on sale, even if I don't need it that week!
Weekly we'll buy lettuce, peppers,zucchini ,yogurt,eggs,milk...

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:23 pm
I go with a list twice a week. Once for weekday shopping and once for shabbos. My kids breakfasts and lunch alone is $50ish per week. We go through:
- 2-3 boxes of cereal ($5 a box).
- 2 loaves of ww bread ($5 a loaf).
- 3 bottles of milk (almost $4 a bottle)
- 2 Cream cheese (almost $4 a container)

And then dinners + shabbos + some produce easily puts us at $200 and when we're not careful and/or if I serve my kids chicken for dinner then we can reach $250-$300.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:42 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
It changes by the week so dont think it's of much help. Those of you who are spending more and cant understand my numbers- are you going to the store with or without a list? Are you going multiple times?
I go with a list once a week. Maybe my bill is higher because of the gluten free stuff we buy? Or do you buy less meat and chicken? I mean even if you go with a list you still need to eat.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 7:51 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I go with a list twice a week. Once for weekday shopping and once for shabbos. My kids breakfasts and lunch alone is $50ish per week. We go through:

And then dinners + shabbos + some produce easily puts us at $200 and when we're not careful and/or if I serve my kids chicken for dinner then we can reach $250-$300.

Where do you shop? I buy store brand cereal for less than $2 a box. Just as an example.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:09 pm
Jade what do you cook for dinner that comes out so inexpensive?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 8:29 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:

Why do you spend so much on cereal? Buy store brand or shop when it is on sale. I never spend more than $3 a box but usually closer to $2. Check price per oz- they never put specific sizes on sale due to that being the "ok for wic size" and they get reimbursed for the price it rang up at. But other sizes are on sale and are often way cheaper per oz.. buy on sale and use a coupon!! (My local chain grocery store has an app with coupons).

Cream cheese? We use store brand under the OU. CY will of course be more expensive. But if you eat OUD look at store brands for milk, cream cheese etc.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 9:25 pm
This is off the subject, but one way I save is using AMEX Blue Cash card, they give you a rebate of 6% at the end of your billing cycle for all grocery store purchases. I buy all my groceries using this card and you use the balance of your rewards towards paying off your next statement. I pay off my card every month, so I don't accrue any interest fees. I check out their offers from merchants every month to see what discounts merchants are offering. They have other perks, also. Anyways, just thought it might help a little on your grocery bill...

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 11:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is precisely my question!!

Their daycamp trip nosh is part of my same calculation. For camp related purchasing that's all under my camp allowance. Chanukah, Pesach, and Sept Yom Tovim all have their own separate calculations. Its added to my total budget for the year but not my food budget. All the rest of the yt are included.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jun 30 2022, 11:49 pm
amother [ Bottlebrush ] wrote:
I go with a list once a week. Maybe my bill is higher because of the gluten free stuff we buy? Or do you buy less meat and chicken? I mean even if you go with a list you still need to eat.

Yes, I expect gluten free items are more expensive. Do you buy only heimishe hechserim? I use OU items but only cholov yisroel.

For everyone asking try a shopping list and only one trip. It cuts out all the extras. Whatever you notice is missing during the week you get creative and change your plans until you adjust to a once weekly shopping.

We do eat chicken and chicken cutlets too multiple times a week. My closest always have food items and my teenagers and guests are always happy. Cant figure out why so many of you are in disbelief

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 1:34 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Yes, I expect gluten free items are more expensive. Do you buy only heimishe hechserim? I use OU items but only cholov yisroel.

For everyone asking try a shopping list and only one trip. It cuts out all the extras. Whatever you notice is missing during the week you get creative and change your plans until you adjust to a once weekly shopping.

We do eat chicken and chicken cutlets too multiple times a week. My closest always have food items and my teenagers and guests are always happy. Cant figure out why so many of you are in disbelief

Can you post what you guys eat on a daily basis? How in the world do you feed 7 big kids on $300 a week? I feel like we'd starve on that budget!

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 1:37 pm
Its sucha funny thing that people see ice cream as a huge luxury.
It costs like $8 for a big tub that lasts almost a month and makes my day easier and happier.

Like whats the point in life if I can't even eat a cone of ice cream once a week lol.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 2:00 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Their daycamp trip nosh is part of my same calculation. For camp related purchasing that's all under my camp allowance. Chanukah, Pesach, and Sept Yom Tovim all have their own separate calculations. Its added to my total budget for the year but not my food budget. All the rest of the yt are included.

This is where the numbers are off. When I say grocery bill I mean every single dollar that goes toward food/disposables/grocery store items. Down to the penny. It includes any time I spend money ever to consume food - and the tools needed to eat that are sold in groceries.

amother
Celeste

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 5:18 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
We're a family of six, including two teenagers. I keep my food only bill under 300 a week easily, by shopping mainly at Walmart. I buy a LOT of produce, that's most of my order. I really only shop in kosher stores for meat/ chicken, which we eat about three times a week plus shabbos, and dairy (which we don't eat a lot of either). Plus the odd item that I can't get at Walmart or happens to be cheaper in kosher stores. My fridge and pantry are always full BH.
Walmart’s produce is so much cheaper?

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is where the numbers are off. When I say grocery bill I mean every single dollar that goes toward food/disposables/grocery store items. Down to the penny. It includes any time I spend money ever to consume food - and the tools needed to eat that are sold in groceries.

I hate to sound harsh, but I think what you meant to say is that's how my numbers are different than yours. Every person considers grocery store items something different though I will clarify I include food, vegetables, fruits, meats and chicken, baby products- including diapers, cleaning supplies, magazines, and disposables. I dont buy them all in the grocery though they are all counted within that same budget.

If you are giving an average based on a full year then yes by me excluding Yomim Tovim it will make it harder for our numbers to match. Considering that higher prices are recent though I dont think any of us know honestly what that will cost.

I'm not trying to say I'm the best or most amazing at not spending money. Until we set up a budget and went over it with someone I didnt realize we were spending less than average. I'm just saying there may be a way to try that you haven't up until now.

To the OP the one question I still haven't gotten an answer about is have you tried shopping only based on a list and going just once a week?

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 5:51 pm
Op try shopping in walmart/target/Aldi and only get what you need from the Jewish store and see if you see a difference in the bills. I find the prices to be much lower. It's a bit inconvenient but il try to stock up more in the Jewish store so I only need to go every other week. Also, pre-checked lettuce is pricey and really adds up. I used to buy it but recently switched to Romaine heads and I am saving at least $25 a month if not more just from that. Checking lettuce is annoying but if you wrap it up it lasts a while so I don't need to do it so often.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics