Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dentist Issues Israel- Please help, I'm beyond desperate!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 5:42 am
Everyone said Dr. Fadi's office is amazing. So I went. And the dentist (not Dr. Fadi- didn't want to wait 1 year+) pulled 4 baby teeth for dd. She put in some metal contraption to hold the space for 3-ish years. Now she hasn't eaten normally for 2 weeks and her tongue is being cut by the metal bar. The dentist said wait another week and her tongue and mouth will get used to it. He said there's no other option.

Is he right? Will another dentist have another option? A private dentist? I'd obviously rather not pay a fortune, but I also want dd to be comfortable, and I'll pay if I need to. But how?? I don't know how to do this!! Crying Crying Crying

Dh is still there with dd now, waiting to speak to the dentist again. Should he insist he take the thing out? What should we do???

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everyone said Dr. Fadi's office is amazing. So I went. And the dentist (not Dr. Fadi- didn't want to wait 1 year+) pulled 4 baby teeth for dd. She put in some metal contraption to hold the space for 3-ish years. Now she hasn't eaten normally for 2 weeks and her tongue is being cut by the metal bar. The dentist said wait another week and her tongue and mouth will get used to it. He said there's no other option.

Is he right? Will another dentist have another option? A private dentist? I'd obviously rather not pay a fortune, but I also want dd to be comfortable, and I'll pay if I need to. But how?? I don't know how to do this!! Crying Crying Crying

Dh is still there with dd now, waiting to speak to the dentist again. Should he insist he take the thing out? What should we do???

Once the teeth are pulled she needs the metal spacer no matter which dentist you go to. One of my kids has one, it doesn't cut her mouth. Just keep insisting they readjust it until she's comfortable. Dr. Shechtman (Shochetman) in RE is an amazing pediatric dentist.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:35 am
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
Once the teeth are pulled she needs the metal spacer no matter which dentist you go to. One of my kids has one, it doesn't cut her mouth. Just keep insisting they readjust it until she's comfortable. Dr. Shechtman (Shochetman) in RE is an amazing pediatric dentist.

Thank you, that's good to hear. Dd has a metal ring around each molar and a thick metal wire connecting them, bent to press on the rest of the baby teeth. Is that what your kid has?

I did some google research, and it looks like tongue soreness at the beginning is common, but it shouldn't be cutting it. The head dentist at this place took a look and said she should use mouthwash (I guess while it heals). They made me an appointment with the dentist who put it in for Sunday. Will she actually be able to do anything? It doesn't look like there's much to adjust.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, that's good to hear. Dd has a metal ring around each molar and a thick metal wire connecting them, bent to press on the rest of the baby teeth. Is that what your kid has?

I did some google research, and it looks like tongue soreness at the beginning is common, but it shouldn't be cutting it. The head dentist at this place took a look and said she should use mouthwash (I guess while it heals). They made me an appointment with the dentist who put it in for Sunday. Will she actually be able to do anything? It doesn't look like there's much to adjust.

Yes, thats what the spacer is. They may be able to push the metal wire a tiny bit so its not pressing on her tongue. It's weird that her mouth is getting cut up, they need to see if the metal is nicked somewhere thats cutting her.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 6:59 am
I would get a second opinion.
hugs an dhatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 7:50 am
Thank you both. We had 2 more dentists look at it, but in the same office. They both said it looks fine and she'll get used to it. It doesn't look like anything is wrong, just that there's no room for that big bar and her tongue in her little mouth. It's not sharp or rough, but looks like it has spent the past 2 weeks slowly slicing the tongue next to it. Dd wasn't chewing normally because of it, more like sucking and swallowing, so could be that contributed.

Amother Blushpink, how long has your kid had it? Did it take them time to get used to it? Dd said her teeth don't meet anymore because of it, so she can't chew. I told her to try, but she'd rather suck/swallow/choke for some reason...

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 8:22 am
Get some wax from an orthodontist and cover the bar so it isn't bothering her tongue. Better than what I'm dealing with with my 6 yr old. for some reason his adult teeth have grown in behind his baby teeth and NOW they're pulling them, putting in a spacer AND he needs braces as well to move the adult teeth into the right space.
Check for yourself if she can actually bite or not. Put some chewing gum between her teeth and see what impression they leave. If she can chew, she should. If she really can't try Dr Shoshani in Maale Adumim.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 8:28 am
Sorry it's in mevaseret. It's private but he's amazing. http://www.my-kid-dent.co.il/

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 8:35 am
By second opinion I meant from a different office.
Yes covering with wax can help but then they should've offered you that solution/help.
While the mouth does need to get used to it, if my kid weren't able to eat correctly and were in pain for over two weeks I would look at other ways to treat the situation.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 8:43 am
amother [ Tiffanyblue ] wrote:
By second opinion I meant from a different office.
Yes covering with wax can help but then they should've offered you that solution/help.
While the mouth does need to get used to it, if my kid weren't able to eat correctly and were in pain for over two weeks I would look at other ways to treat the situation.

Yes, they gave wax. But it's not something pokey/sharp, so it doesn't seem like it would be too helpful. Today her tongue is not actually hurting, B"H. It seems like the way she was sucking the food instead of chewing is what made it actually slice her tongue. I told her to try to chew, and she said she will try. I think she was just too nervous/upset about the whole thing to try to chew normally. So hopefully now that she sees the effects, she'll try.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 8:47 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
Get some wax from an orthodontist and cover the bar so it isn't bothering her tongue. Better than what I'm dealing with with my 6 yr old. for some reason his adult teeth have grown in behind his baby teeth and NOW they're pulling them, putting in a spacer AND he needs braces as well to move the adult teeth into the right space.
Check for yourself if she can actually bite or not. Put some chewing gum between her teeth and see what impression they leave. If she can chew, she should. If she really can't try Dr Shoshani in Maale Adumim.

Oh wow, good luck with that!! Thanks for the gum idea, I think I'll try that. I told her to try chewing food in different positions in her mouth to see what works best. Hopefully she'll find something. Yesterday she would barely open her mouth to eat or even speak, but today B"H she's speaking and eating some. So I'm a bit more hopeful that it will improve!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics