Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Sesame Cucumber and Avocado Salad

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 3:12 pm
This was a really delightful and refreshing salad.

Sesame Cucumber and Avocado Salad
By Hetty McKinnon

* YIELD 4 servings
* TIME 10 minutes

Crispy cucumber and creamy avocado perform a delicate dance with earthy notes of sesame in this most simple of salads. Thin-skinned varieties such as Persian or English cucumbers work best, as they are almost seedless with a robust flesh that stays crisp. But don’t worry if you only have access to seedy cucumbers: Peel them if their skins are thick, then cut them in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds before slicing. No-cook and ready in a matter of minutes, this elegant salad can be dressed up according to your mood. It is a satisfying meal on its own, but it can also be served alongside cold soba noodles, or with brown rice and a fried or jammy egg on top.

INGREDIENTS

FOR THE SESAME DRESSING:

* 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
* 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
* 1 ½ teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
* ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
FOR THE SALAD:

* 2 ripe avocados
* 1 pound cucumbers (such as Persian or English), trimmed and thinly sliced
* 2 green, red or purple scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
* Kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal) and black pepper
* Toasted sesame seeds, for topping

PREPARATION

1. Make the dressing: Place the sesame oil, rice vinegar, sesame seeds, sugar, soy sauce and red-pepper flakes into a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of water and whisk until emulsified. Taste, and adjust seasonings. (Dressing should taste acidic, a little sweet and salty.) 

2. When you’re ready to eat, prepare the salad: Halve the avocados and discard the pits. Using a small paring knife, carefully score the avocado flesh into 1/2-inch cubes, avoiding cutting through the skin. Use a large spoon to scoop out the avocado flesh (in one spoonful, if possible), as close to the skin as possible. Transfer avocado cubes to a large bowl and add the dressing; toss gently.

3. Add the cucumbers and scallions and toss everything together. Season with salt and black pepper, top with more sesame seeds, and serve immediately.

Java

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 3:21 pm
Sounds yum!!
Kinda getting sushi salad vibes, I bet it would be really good with kani and rice

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 3:30 pm
Java wrote:
Sounds yum!!
Kinda getting sushi salad vibes, I bet it would be really good with kani and rice

Yes - definitely is that kind of salad - I posted a recipe for an Asian Chicken recipe which I served with this salad.

One of my favorite restaurants does an Avocado Salad with a sesame/Asian type of dressing but they use lettuce instead of cucumbers but the cucumber salad is a standard sushi side - some of the sushi restaurants I have gone to serve a small bowl along with the bowl of miso soup as a complimentary type of starter.

If you read the author's notes, they do add that you can add brown rice of soba noodles and probably some protein.

Very refreshing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics