Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How can I know if the wig I am buying has been dyed?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 3:10 pm
How do I know if they are not lying when they say that the wig has never been dyed?

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 3:11 pm
That’s the reason one of them anyway that I only by from a sheitel macher with a good rep who I know and trust.

watergirl

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 4:18 pm
I was told by a very very well know owner of a sheitel company that they can “legally” tell you the hair is virgin, unprocessed, never dyed, when in fact it’s had all of that, as long as it’s two or less times per process. Seeing as there are no laws overseeing the wig industry, I know she was lying. But she tells her customers her wigs are 100% virgin. She’s actually quite famous, it’s really sad.

amother
Skyblue

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 4:28 pm
Aren't most dyed?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 8:03 pm
I am just wondering what’s so bad about buying a wig that was dyed?

amother
Bellflower

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 8:17 pm
Why does it bother you that’s its dyed?

Unless you’re specifically buying a virgin wig, then I doubt the shaitel macher knows whether each piece from a processed brand was or wasn’t dyed.

amother
Teal

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 8:38 pm
Ask a bunch of sellers about the wig you’re interested in and see if they say the same thing? But I personally prefer dyed wigs.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 02 2022, 11:14 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Ask a bunch of sellers about the wig you’re interested in and see if they say the same thing? But I personally prefer dyed wigs.

Why do you prefer dyed wigs?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:38 am
This is my understanding based on conversations I've had with sheitle machers and hair dressers. Though I am not im the buisiness and dont know details.

Generally the least processing the hair goes through, the stronger it remains. So virgin is supposed to be better quality in that regard.

My understanding is that processed wigs are all stripped of their color as part of the process and recolored later on. The processing is supposed to create a sleeker shinier, smoother look, I believe.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:49 am
If you’re blond, then buying a dyed wig means redying it every year or 6 months
Buying a virgin wig means the color will last for years before needing to be dyed.

Brown hair can last longer between dyes.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:18 am
The cheaper wigs have a certain dye smell. Plus if you wish it yourself you generally see dye in the water…

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:26 am
amother [ Eggshell ] wrote:
If you’re blond, then buying a dyed wig means redying it every year or 6 months
Buying a virgin wig means the color will last for years before needing to be dyed.

Brown hair can last longer between dyes.

Not necessarily.
Even virgin blonde wigs can still need dying after a while.
They dont last forever but def longer then processed.
Also I find even after dying a virgin hair wig it still looks a lot better then a treated wig thats been dyed.

BTDT with both.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why do you prefer dyed wigs?
I am blonde and find the dyed wigs keep their color for longer. The natural colored wigs tend to go red.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:40 am
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
Not necessarily.
Even virgin blonde wigs can still need dying after a while.
They dont last forever but def longer then processed.
Also I find even after dying a virgin hair wig it still looks a lot better then a treated wig thats been dyed.

BTDT with both.
Weird. I find processed lasts longer. Less affected by sun.

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:45 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Weird. I find processed lasts longer. Less affected by sun.

Really?
Blonde?
I find that the colours on both go, but the processed ones turn a more unnatural colour in the sun, while the virgin hair you can get away wjth for longer.
Doesnt look so off.

Eta, the truth is when I got one of my virgin wigs only discovered a while after that not all of it was unprocessed.
Part of the skin top had been dyed.
Was not told this shaitel macher I bought it from.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:04 am
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
Really?
Blonde?
I find that the colours on both go, but the processed ones turn a more unnatural colour in the sun, while the virgin hair you can get away wjth for longer.
Doesnt look so off.

Eta, the truth is when I got one of my virgin wigs only discovered a while after that not all of it was unprocessed.
Part of the skin top had been dyed.
Was not told this shaitel macher I bought it from.

How did you find out?

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How did you find out?

From another shaitel macher.

And when I went back to the original one I bought it from, she said oh yes of course, its not possible for skin top not to be dyed blah blah blah.
I didnt even get to speak to her herself, her assistant told me.

Was so mad.
Was my most expensive wig ever and although I feel like it is still a very nice wig, I remember specifically asking again and again before I ordered it that I only want untreated hair, and for the highlights I asked for rows of lighter hair to be sewn in rather then dying the actual hair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels