Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
I'm so bored

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:34 pm
Am I the only one who finds little kids boring? Obviously I work hard and they keep me on my toes but it's so tedious and mind-numbing. Sitting on the floor and playing with them, every minute feels like an hour. Do people actually enjoy this?

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:41 pm
Don't sit on the floor and play with them. Not for very long at a time, anyway. Just keep them generally under supervision. You can read a book, do housework while they watch you or participate in their way, etc.

So many people think they have to entertain their little kids in order to be good mothers. In fact, you should not entertain your kids. This robs them of the opportunity to learn how to entertain themselves, an invaluable skill throughout life. Babies whose parents are concerned that they are 'bored' (not possible for a baby) become 10 year olds who are always kvetching that they are bored.

So you can, in good conscience, stop feeling obligated to do this.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:44 pm
Me. I hate playing on the floor. L

So I take them out as often as I can to places we can *both* enjoy. I can chill with a friend and they can run around safely. Win win. Parks, library, target type store (obviously they don’t run around there), pizza, ice cream, free museums.

I sometimes invite over another young family so I can have an adult around and they can play together. We try to do fun activities together like baking, cooking, kinetic sand, play dough ect…

My son (5) can finally play basic games so I bought a lot of age appropriate games to play with him Shabbos afternoon like dominoes, puzzles, matching games, candlyland etc.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:50 pm
I don’t think sitting on the floor and playing is a requirement of motherhood

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:54 pm
I don't sit on the floor. Sometimes I will for 5 minutes to get a kid started but then I just sit nearby and smile and comment on what they are doing. Sitting on the floor is not a requirement.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:56 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Me. I hate playing on the floor. L

So I take them out as often as I can to places we can *both* enjoy. I can chill with a friend and they can run around safely. Win win. Parks, library, target type store (obviously they don’t run around there), pizza, ice cream, free museums.

I sometimes invite over another young family so I can have an adult around and they can play together. We try to do fun activities together like baking, cooking, kinetic sand, play dough ect…

My son (5) can finally play basic games so I bought a lot of age appropriate games to play with him Shabbos afternoon like dominoes, puzzles, matching games, candlyland etc.

you might want to look in to getting your son playing games like monopoly deal, sorry, sleeping queeens... that might be a little more fun then candyland

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 4:58 pm
I find them hilarious at this age. They are these tiny people with huge personalities. I will play a little to get them started and I will come and go while I do what I need to. But there are a lot of funny moments when they are little. I love my 11 year old but not so funny any more haha.

one happy mommy

Post Wed, Jun 15 2022, 5:19 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I find them hilarious at this age. They are these tiny people with huge personalities. I will play a little to get them started and I will come and go while I do what I need to. But there are a lot of funny moments when they are little. I love my 11 year old but not so funny any more haha.

I agree! It's harder when they get kvetchy/ don't want to play themselves, but I babysit 1.5-2 year olds including mine and they're so cute! everything is so new to them. my daughter was trying to open and close a bottle where you press the button and it was cute to watch. and the way they interact. I can eat them up!! just today I found myself rolling with them when we played a silly game of them trying to tickle me and I'm yelling for help.. LOL

a2z

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:33 am
Different people are better with different age groups

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:44 am
Can totally relate. When I had little kids I used to feel like a babysitter. Ok, when can I go home already? But bh as they grew I can interact with them better. Hang in there! And Enjoy them while they’re little
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics