Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do your newborns sleep like this? Am I on another planet??
1  2  3  Next

How do your newborns tend to sleep?
They sleep as well (or better) than the ones in the videos.  
 21%  [ 17 ]
I feel like those videos are from another planet.  
 36%  [ 29 ]
Somewhere in the middle- they sleep pretty well but not quite like the videos.  
 10%  [ 8 ]
Some of my babies slept that well, while others were more difficult.  
 31%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 79

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:03 am
I have a newborn who is a few weeks old BH and I am up a lot with him at night. He cries, I nurse him, I burp him, he fusses a bit or cries, I swaddle him, rock him, and try to get him back to sleep, he cries and fusses, I walk around with him to calm him down, etc etc...he eventually goes back to sleep but it's a process. And often he is up a short time later.

I am a seasoned mother and my other newborns were similar to this.

I came across these two videos, both of 2 wk old babies, also breastfed, and I can not relate at all!! These babies seem to just sleep a ton and go to sleep so easily. Their mothers just put them down after a feeding and they go back to sleep.

Honestly, with a schedule like this, I wouldn't be exhausted! Yeah, not great to have interrupted sleep, but that amount of hours of sleep is waaaay more than I am getting!!

So I am curious, are my babies the exception and everyone else is on another planet?

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:06 am
Every baby is unique!

By the way, have you tried changing before nursing (hopefully back to sleep)? Don't necessarily have to burp either. There's controversy, some said they had a better time when they didn't.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:09 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Every baby is unique!

By the way, have you tried changing before nursing (hopefully back to sleep)? Don't necessarily have to burp either. There's controversy, some said they had a better time when they didn't.

I have tried all the different denominations lol.
When I don't burp him, he wakes up from his need to burp a few minutes later.

I know every baby is unique, but this is just sooo different than what I experience!

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:10 am
I never change overnight unless soiled

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have tried all the different denominations lol.
When I don't burp him, he wakes up from his need to burp a few minutes later.

I know every baby is unique, but this is just sooo different than what I experience!

It can be really hard not to generalize that your experience of something is THE experience. Even having a second baby of your own can be surprising because they are inevitably different from your first!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:12 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
I never change overnight unless soiled

I edited my post because I also only change at night if dirty.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:16 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
It can be really hard not to generalize that your experience of something is THE experience. Even having a second baby of your own can be surprising because they are inevitably different from your first!

I have quite a few kah, and while some were easier and some were more difficult, NONE were anywhere near what is pictured in those videos. Which led me to wonder if my situation is so rare or are there others who have similar experiences to me.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:17 am
And I love how at the end the mother says that the sleepless nights are all worth it....
I wouldn't call that sleepless lol!! She clocked in many hours of sleep!

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:22 am
I didn't watch the videos, but most of my kids were great sleepers.

What that means for me is that starting from a reasonable hour (somewhere between 7 pm and 11 pm depending on the kid) they would have a long nursing session and be able to be put down in bed, and they'd sleep for 2-3 hours. Then I'd join them in bed and co-sleep, nursing periodically but never needing to fully wake up - just fuss or cry, latch on, fall back asleep.

On rare occasions they'd need more than that, and I'd have to get up fully to change, burp, or whatever. But usually not.

My hardest baby could not stay asleep without me for more than 20-30 minutes. And even then he was much more squirmy, needed more frequent burping, and was generally not calm. That was a really rough time.

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:30 am
Those videos ARE from another planet. I'm so happy YouTube wasn't a thing when my kids were babies. A video like that would have made me feel very inadequate.

(I looked it up and apparently YouTube was new back then I just didn't know about jt)

amother
Mimosa

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:08 am
Woah my babies are just like yours
that video looks like a dream but soo not what happens in my house

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:17 am
My newborn was sooo easy kah. We had "hard nights" the first two nights and that's it. I co- sleep, never had to fully wake up in middle of the night.

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:20 am
As soon as your baby learns to lift and turn his head, put him to sleep on his tummy!

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:24 am
How old is your newborn?
I have a newborn now who usually does let me sleep for a around 3 hours at a time at night BH. But the timing of it affects my sleep. Like if she eats at 2 and then at five my sleep is more broken up (bc I need to get up for my other kids). She does get uncomfortable and gassy but it doesn’t usually affect the nights much.
But a few weeks ago she was eating way more often. And who knows what will happen in the future.
A different child of mine would scream for hours and had colic and I’m just glad that this one doesn’t seem to have that BH.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:45 am
Ok, I just watched the first few minutes of the first video. Everything looks fake. No, no baby of mine ever went to sleep so easily. And no baby of mine ever woke up hungry and looked so calm. This baby didn't look to be crying. If I changed a diaper first when my baby wanted to eat there would be serious shrieking! Admittedly my youngest is almost 14 so it has been a while - but all my babies were fussy and resisted sleep. Every time they fell asleep in my arms and I tried to lay them down in a crib or cradle they wailed. I eventually gave in to co-sleeping and everyone was happier.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:29 am
Every child is different. I have 2 kids. One of them slept 6+ hours at night from about 2 months old. She also slept on her tummy from really early on- would roll from her back to stomach as soon as was put down from about 3 months or earlier.
Next child did not sleep for more than 20-30 minutes at a time until 6-8 months old- not an exaggeration. And after that stage it was a little better, but still woke up at least 5 times before morning.

lavender_dew

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:16 am
Don’t forget that for most of those Youtubers, these videos are their parnassah. They are fighting algorithms and trying to stand out and look good to get views. I’d say it’s highly unlikely that everything in them is as good as they make them seem. I like to watch “mommy” type YouTube videos for ideas but take them all with a grain of salt.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:20 am
My last baby nursed, burped, I swaddled her and put her down and she slept. She would also go long stretches at night from day 1.

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:50 am
Bh my babies mostly slept like this, but I only formula fed, never nursed. Also, if I put the baby down at 9pm my husband would do the midnight feeding, so I'd only have to wake up once - usually around 3 or 4am

amother
Grape

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:01 am
Totally depends on the baby's temperament!
As an experienced Mommy I've had some of each!
And unfortunately it does carry through to their temperament as they get older...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics