Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What do you do with your 3 year old sons hair?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you pay for the hair according to its weight?
Yes  
 2%  [ 2 ]
No  
 97%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 70

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:33 am
I'm lubavitch, we do upshernish (have one next week imyh) never heard of this... it is bringing to mind a story of someone who weighed their child and donated the difference daily in gold, maybe before the churban to illustrate how the wealthy fell? But never heard anything about hair. Sounds made up honestly.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:40 am
In heard this is something well do when moshiach comes bzh
Besides if you calculate the value in silver not gold it should be much less than that

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:55 am
I’m the only one so far who voted yes.
But we did silver so it was nowhere these amounts.
I tried looking up a source, it says the minchas Eliezer did this. (Segulos Yisrael, Maereches Gimmel, sec. 25.)

happy chick

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:55 am
I remember hearing this from someone. it may be a minhag the skvere chassidim do. I was not aware, though, that it was so much money. its one of the many ways that the chassidim keep their Rebbe funded.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:57 am
mushkamothers wrote:
I'm lubavitch, we do upshernish (have one next week imyh) never heard of this... it is bringing to mind a story of someone who weighed their child and donated the difference daily in gold, maybe before the churban to illustrate how the wealthy fell? But never heard anything about hair. Sounds made up honestly.

https://www.chabad.org/library.....e.htm

Here is a source on chabad.org
Just because you didn’t hear of it doesn’t mean it’s made up

mfb

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:58 am
I definitely heard of it but we didn’t do it.

Mommastuff

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:34 am
Im not chassidish, though I wad told of this minhag, but it isn't that costly. Maybe a dollar per ounce??

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:36 am
It’s one of the 2022 mitzvas. Mazel tov! another segula has become Torah’s moshe....

happyone

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:53 am
If you're chassidish , no such minhag in bobov, satmar, munkatch, belz, pupa, skver, viznitz, skolya, slonim, toldos aharon, or ger.

Wonder which chassidus you are.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:06 am
Wow! I learn new things everyday on imamother. I would wait to cut the hair until the price of gold went down. (Which is possibly never) Or at least wait until they’re old enough to earn their own money and pay for it themselves!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:07 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Waiting until 3 is already a minhag based on dubious sources (that a boy is like a tree? What does this even mean?). But it isn't inherently wrong, you do you. Weighing the hair and paying thousands of dollars sounds ridiculous.

Dubious sources?
That is absolutely wrong.
Minhag Yisrael k'din. This is a minhag that has been passed down through generations. If it's not your minhag, don't do it just because it's a good excuse to go all out on a party for your three year old. It'd never a good idea to disparage minhagim that you're unfamiliar with.

The passuk in Devarim that includes the words ki haadam etz hasadeh is not one of those that on the surface is easy to understand. For clarity you can start with Rashi, Ibn Ezra, Ramban, Rav Shamshon Refael Hirsch explains the passuk and is readily available in English.
The sources of the minhag itself are not as clear, some connect it to the passuk about reishit gez tzoncha, giving the first wool of the sheep shearing to the kohen.

I have never heard of the minhag of weighing the hair and giving the money to tzedaka. Looks like that's the same for everyone else here.

Fave

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:14 am
I gave the equivalent of $1 per ounce of hair to Tzedakah.
Wasn’t a must do, but thought it was a nice minhag. Came out to around $25

Last edited by Fave on Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:20 am
My mother braided their hair and kept the braids because she liked them. No weighing or tzedakah involved for this specifically.

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:02 am
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/81568/jewish/What-Is-Done.htm

Here is a source on chabad.org
Just because you didn’t hear of it doesn’t mean it’s made up

Nu you learn something new every day.
I did put the hair in shaimos at least

happy chick

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:27 am
ra_mom wrote:
My mother braided their hair and kept the braids because she liked them. No weighing or tzedakah involved for this specifically.

I do the same. My husband also still has his braid (as do I Wink.

Also, some chassidim (possible skver?) cut boys hair at 2 so there's a lot less.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:55 pm
If this is a chumra that speaks to you, but you don't have a solid mesorah for it, you could sell the hair to a sheitel macher. Take the money you get for the hair and donate it to tzedaka. (Assuming that the hair is in healthy and usable condition.)

dizzy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:01 pm
Never heard of this before. Just did an upsheren and threw his pony in the trash. A piece of my heart went along with that. I'd be crying even more if I had to pay that sum! Sounds a bit outrageous to me.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:42 pm
Never heard of this.
Litvish. Yeshivish.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:48 pm
Let me guess.. you were also told where to donate the money?

amother
Bergamot

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:26 pm
Never heard of that minhag. I think it's a beautiful idea, not sure how and why you get to those huge numbers!
It's symbolic anyway, I would give a dollar per oz!!
It's definitely not a common minhag so no reason to go bankrupt over it! LOL
Eta: I threw out all my boys hair!(7 of them! Wink )
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics