Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Will this food last until next Shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:17 am
Morning sickness has me out of commission, so I sent DH on Friday to buy takeout for the entire Shabbos. He was happy to help, but ended up buying larger quantities than we needed for most of the items, especially since my appetite is virtually nil.

Considering how much we spent and considering my condition, I would love to just use the leftovers for next Shabbos. But since I'm still in shana rishona and a BT who didn't do this stuff growing up, I don't have much experience knowing what will last, and what we should use up during the week and buy fresh for next Shabbos.

I would appreciate if you could let me know yes, no, or maybe for each of the following. The items are in sealed plastic containers, and our rental has a very good Subzero fridge if that makes a difference. I could also freeze anything if that would help (and it would still taste good).

Gefilte fish
Chicken soup
BBQ chicken
Potato kugel
Chopped liver
Egg salad

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Morning sickness has me out of commission, so I sent DH on Friday to buy takeout for the entire Shabbos. He was happy to help, but ended up buying larger quantities than we needed for most of the items, especially since my appetite is virtually nil.

Considering how much we spent and considering my condition, I would love to just use the leftovers for next Shabbos. But since I'm still in shana rishona and a BT who didn't do this stuff growing up, I don't have much experience knowing what will last, and what we should use up during the week and buy fresh for next Shabbos.

I would appreciate if you could let me know yes, no, or maybe for each of the following. The items are in sealed plastic containers, and our rental has a very good Subzero fridge if that makes a difference. I could also freeze anything if that would help (and it would still taste good).

Gefilte fish
Chicken soup
BBQ chicken
Potato kugel
Chopped liver
Egg salad

The gefilta fish, soup, kugel and chicken will all freeze nicely. The egg salad and liver won't, and I wouldn't keep it more then a few days.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:21 am
no

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:23 am
amother [ Hydrangea ] wrote:
The gefilta fish, soup, kugel and chicken will all freeze nicely. The egg salad and liver won't, and I wouldn't keep it more then a few days.

Exactly what I was going to say. Freeze it NOW, and take it out Friday morning.
Refua shelaima, and bshaa Tova!

srbmom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:31 am
I've frozen liver before. I think you can freeze everything but the egg salad

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:46 am
Gefilte fish I never froze, unless it's in a tomato sauce.

Rule of gefilte fish, it last for five days from when it was cooked but you dont know when it was cooked.

Egg salad doesn't get frozen. Cooked hard boiled eggs can also last up to five days from when cooked but eggsalad with no preservatives idk.

Liver can be frozen but will be crumbly when you take out, what you can do with frozen sauteed liver , add egg & blend to make chopped liver when taking out then you won't feel the different texture.

Potato kugel is only good frozen imho, if you want to make it into overnight kugel, adding water and bake it longer, once you take it out.

Chicken soup you can perfectly freeze or use within next few days like up to 5 days, after cooked, after that the taste will alter.

The thing is you dont know when these things were cooked.

Best to use everything up Sunday, Monday.

Besides for chicken soup is only thing that will freeze well.

Chicken if it's dry not good to freeze if has sauce then ok .

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:52 am
Another thing, freezing food is best done right after cooking not when left around for couple of days.

Being that you are pregnant, I wouldn't risk eating food that is questionable because of bacteria.

In the takeouts, that have food on display (not in containers) comes shabbos everything goes.
They don't put it away for after shabbos, if they want it to be fresh.

I know in one supermarket, they put out fresh chopped liver in containers on Wednesday every week but they already cook it on Tuesday.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:19 am
I'd better leave it to be eaten as leftovers for supper the next 2 days than freeze it.
There's no way to know when it was cooked, how it was stored in the store, then brought home, then refrigerated, then brought to room temp to be eaten and returned to the fridge, it's already Sunday. The food is possibly from Thursday... I wouldn't freeze it honestly.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:20 am
In the future, order larger amounts and as soon as you take it home, halve it and freeze.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:40 am
I'd eat the leftovers of soup, kugel, chicken tonite and possibly tomorrow. Honestly I think I'd throw out the liver and egg salad, maybe the fish, too. As others have said, it was probably made Thursday at the latest (realistically prob Weds) and it's just not worth it to take a chance. I've gotten sick from packaged take out before, and I know people who ended up with serious food poisoning/in the hospital.
Agree with lamplighter, next time halve and freeze right away.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:02 am
Takeout was not made on Friday and will spoil faster than your own food. Freeze what you can and use up the rest quickly.

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Gefilte fish
Chicken soup
BBQ chicken
Potato kugel
Chopped liver
Egg salad

Liver spoils quickly. The rest can all be frozen. I wouldn’t keep them in fridge for a week.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 3:46 pm
Whatever liver, gefilte fish and egg salad wasn’t eaten Sunday goes in the garbage.
You can freeze chicken soup and potato kugel.
Reheat the potato kugel by pouring a little water on top, cover tightly with foil, put directly from freezer into a very hot oven, leave in the oven for an hour.
Baked chicken can be frozen and reheated same way as the potato kugel but might not taste as good.

jflower

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:46 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Whatever liver, gefilte fish and egg salad wasn’t eaten Sunday goes in the garbage.
You can freeze chicken soup and potato kugel.
Reheat the potato kugel by pouring a little water on top, cover tightly with foil, put directly from freezer into a very hot oven, leave in the oven for an hour.
Baked chicken can be frozen and reheated same way as the potato kugel but might not taste as good.

Why throw out gefilte fish? It certainly can be frozen until next week.

healthminded

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:56 pm
I bake a roll of gefilte (or 2) slice then freeze it, I take out every week as needed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note