Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Nice hotel for family of 7 that has kosher
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:52 am
I'd like to take my family on a special 4 day vacation that is within a few hours of NY/NJ area.

Here are my criteria:
Beautiful accommodations
3 meals daily
a few places to go nearby
Good for kids ages 10-16

Assuming that the budget was not an issue can someone give ideas?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:11 pm
Just to clarify - Any time I go on these kosher hotel websites there are no prices. I don't want to ask for pricing by sending an email. I'd like to one day take my family on such a trip - I'd like to know what the estimated costs are.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:17 pm
Just to clarify for you. The kosher hotels are very expensive. They can be 1000 dollars a day. If you stay in a motel with a kitchenette and get 2 rooms, it could be 300 a day. That’s what I think. So I always do the second option and just bring food. (To be honest I also need food when I am going to a kosher place because I am picky about coffee and I still need snacks and extras if my family is hungry between meals).

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:24 pm
Haven’t been there but Melour in tannerville may fit the bill

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:25 pm
Following

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:36 pm
Melour in Tannersville is the first place that comes to mind, but it could be expensive for that many people. Other options a little farther away are PMR in New Hampshire and Kosher Springs (not sure how food works there). There's also Oppenheimers which is cheaper, but the rooms may not be what you're looking for.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:50 pm
Would you know how much Melour / PMR/ Kosher Springs costs?
I definitely want a kosher hotel - nothing that involves me taking food.

I would be staying mostly on grounds so no cost involved in activities.

I'm curious what such a trip would cost?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:53 pm
Assuming you could do with 3 rooms (parents/ 2 kids,3kids) I would say 10-12k. It’s usually around 1000$ a day.

I found that unless it was KMR it felt seriously not worth it.

The European versions are a better bang for the buck. Not cheap and still need to get good tickets. And a huge trip so need to go for longer.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:11 pm
amother [ DarkViolet ] wrote:
Assuming you could do with 3 rooms (parents/ 2 kids,3kids) I would say 10-12k. It’s usually around 1000$ a day.

I found that unless it was KMR it felt seriously not worth it.

The European versions are a better bang for the buck. Not cheap and still need to get good tickets. And a huge trip so need to go for longer.

If it’s 1k per a day how do you get 12k
Unless you mean 1k/day/person

pause

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:18 pm
There's also the Raleigh. Some rooms are nice, but some really aren't.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:20 pm
I was at melour. It was clean and had kosher food. I wouldn’t call accommodations luxurious at all. You heard noise from the halls, rooms are close together…. But it was a great family place for us. We went in the winter time - hunter mountain was right there and the older ones did skiing. Food was good but not tons of variety. If I remember it was 2 proteins, 1 vegetable and 1 starch. Worked for me because it was midwinter and gave us something to do. They also had a beautiful indoor pool that we used. During ‘yeshiva week’ they had separate swimming. I went with my husband and 4 children for 1 night - supper, breakfast, and pack your own lunch. If I remember correctly it came out to close to $1000.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:25 pm
There was something advertised this past week in one of the papers - either yated or mishpacha or ami. It looked beautiful - said. New, all kosher, near hunter. If I find the ad again I’ll post it.

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:29 pm
All hotels have noise between rooms and from the hall.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:42 pm
amother [ Outerspace ] wrote:
All hotels have noise between rooms and from the hall.

The hall was narrower than regular hotels and some doors to the rooms didn’t reach the floor so you heard noise through that too. Was a bit ‘heimish’ but at that time with my family it worked.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:50 pm
The Melour has small cabin like rooms with 30" inch cots. It's clean but if OP is looking for beautiful accommodations, this most definitely is not it. It's an old Tannersville hotel that they've kept up so it's not falling apart but it's extremely outdated nowhere near any type of luxurious.

Either sign up for KMR or fly out to Bay Harbour in FL if you must have kosher food in-house and going to local restaurants is not an option.

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:53 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
There was something advertised this past week in one of the papers - either yated or mishpacha or ami. It looked beautiful - said. New, all kosher, near hunter. If I find the ad again I’ll post it.

This is Rose's Mount Inn. As discussed on some other threads, it's a large 15-bedroom property that you can only rent out in full for simchas, family reunions, etc. You can't just go there and get 1 or 2 rooms.

jd1212

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:58 pm
I highly suggest going to somewhere with a kitchen and bedrooms and bringing a ton of takeout and paper goods. No dishes, good food, and pick whichever hotel you want. Kosher springs in bushkill is $400-$500/night for 2-3 br condo, minyanim and separate swimming, but no food included in that price. Think it’s avail for shabbos. Aug to Sept dates. If you press for prices they just email you a pdf automatically.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:59 pm
amother [ Tanzanite ] wrote:
If it’s 1k per a day how do you get 12k
Unless you mean 1k/day/person

1k a day per room * 3 = 12k.

I actually just checked out melours website and it seems much more reasonable- they have prices that come out to under 2k a room for 4 nights.

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:02 pm
Hudson valley resort

doctorima

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 2:17 pm
If Melour is booked or out of your budget, keep in mind that there's a kosher take-out place / grocery on Main Street in town. So you could easily find a nice AirBNB in Tannersville or Hunter (<10 minute drive) for a lot less money, and just get your food here. I believe they even deliver!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics