Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Pls help a desperate mama - daily menus for 8 month old?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:11 am
I'm at my wits end.
My baby wants me to nurse him every 1 - 2 hours, through the night as well. He's HUNGRY.

But, not too interested in the foods I've offered him.

Can people kindly post suggested foods to serve?

People often say 'serve whatever you're having' but that isn't practical for me, most of our foods aren't baby-friendly. It would really help if you could post sample menu ideas of what your baby eats or did eat daily at around this age.

Thank you so much!!

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:27 am
Some things I did:
Breakfast--oatmeal, banana
Lunch- avocado or pb on toast sticks, eggs (scrambled or boiled or pieces of omelette), cheese if dairy ok, pancakes, pasta in rotini shape
Dinner - chicken from soup and soup veggies, roasted butternut squash or sweet potato fries (no salt), broccoli or other veg steamed pretty soft, meatballs or pieces of soft hamburger

Some things I'd make a batch of and then keep in fridge for later meals.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:30 am
What foods are you eating that your baby can’t have? I gave everything. Cut up if needed. Look into baby led weaning. It’s Not some fad or shtick. Game changer for us.

pause

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:34 am
Similar to above amother.
Breakfast: oatmeal, banana, fruit smoothie. Add ins: ground nuts, peanut butter, chia seeds, butter.
Lunch: bread with avocado, bread with peanut butter, bread dipped into chummus/techina
Snacks: bottle, applesauce, bamba, vegetable flutes, rice cake
Supper: soup, mashed up vegetables with chicken, sweet potato, mashed hard-boiled egg

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:38 am
My kid would not eat until we let him feed himself at 8 months. After that was a messy but lovely process of him feeding himself and eating More things than he had before.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:43 am
Put up a stew with short grain rice, veg, meat, chicken..leave on low setting .. add water as necessary..presto..you have meals for a few days

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:45 am
pause wrote:
Similar to above amother.
Breakfast: oatmeal, banana, fruit smoothie. Add ins: ground nuts, peanut butter, chia seeds, butter.
Lunch: bread with avocado, bread with peanut butter, bread dipped into chummus/techina
Snacks: bottle, applesauce, bamba, vegetable flutes, rice cake
Supper: soup, mashed up vegetables with chicken, sweet potato, mashed hard-boiled egg

What part of the bread is best to give - the soft part or the crust?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:45 am
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
Some things I did:
Breakfast--oatmeal, banana
Lunch- avocado or pb on toast sticks, eggs (scrambled or boiled or pieces of omelette), cheese if dairy ok, pancakes, pasta in rotini shape
Dinner - chicken from soup and soup veggies, roasted butternut squash or sweet potato fries (no salt), broccoli or other veg steamed pretty soft, meatballs or pieces of soft hamburger

Some things I'd make a batch of and then keep in fridge for later meals.

Is it fine to give meatballs etc. with salt in it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:46 am
Thanks all!!

This isn't my first, but with my others, they were happy with pureed veg from the chicken soup etc., which he has no interest in...

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it fine to give meatballs etc. with salt in it?

Sure

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all!!

This isn't my first, but with my others, they were happy with pureed veg from the chicken soup etc., which he has no interest in...

My first threw purées in my face. I’m begging you to look up baby led weaning

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:59 am
I find babies eat best during family meals. When everyone else is eating they’ll want to eat too

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all!!

Didn’t this have salt as well?

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:34 am
Scrambled egg, Avocado, cheese, whole milk yogurt, cheerios, cut up strawberries and mango, pasta, soup veggies (you can take out before you season the soup), cottage cheese, Salmon

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:35 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Didn’t this have salt as well?

You can take out before you season the soup

pause

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What part of the bread is best to give - the soft part or the crust?

Soft. They soften it with their gums and eventually swallow. The crust is nearly impossible until they have back teeth to chew on.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:52 am
Meanwhile my kid spit out everything we give her from our plates. 🥴

DVOM

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:00 am
There's pretty much nothing an 8 month old can't eat. My baby was underweight and I was so looking forward to purees and baby cereal, hoping that it would help. Turns out though that she hated purees, hated me feeding her. Look into baby led weaning. My daughter loves food, loves feeding herself, and eats literally everything.

My 11 month old's meals yesterday:

Oat bran and date muffin (made with applesauce, no sugar, but if your ok with sugar I think that would be fine too), peanut butter (no sugar again) and banana on rice cakes, little bits of my boys cereal (they love sharing with her), sippi cup of milk

Grilled chicken, green beans, brown rice, chumus on challah, tomatoes from the salad, sauted liver

Talapia (a new food for her! It was a very spicy recipe, with hot peppers and hot paprika, but she loved it. Drank a lot of water from her sippi cup while eating.), sauted peppers and carrots, matzo

She also snacks whenever my other kids snack. I definitely put her on the floor with a little pile of shredded mozzarella cheese in her lap at some point yesterday. Don't remember what else she snacked on.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 1:29 pm
Try teething biscuits that are made especially for babies. They can't break off pieces and choke on them, but eventually they'll eat the whole thing.

DD hated cooked cereals and purees. She loved sweet potatoes, until she didn't. We kept trying new foods, and she'd like one, and then change her mind. It's an ongoing process, so you just have to be patient. The mesh feeding bags are brilliant for giving soft and messy foods like peaches or cooked veggies. They're just a pain to wash unless you throw them in the dishwasher. (I guess you could put them in a lingerie bag and wash them with the clothes, as long as they are not stained with blackberries or something.)

Always remember, what your baby hates today, they may love tomorrow, or vice versa! Just keep trying, but don't show any annoyance or pressure.

lovecouches

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 3:11 pm
I actually found that they choke on the soft part of the bread. It basically gets stuck to the top of their mouth. The crust is good cuz they gnaw at it until it softens.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics