Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What do you do if you can't afford camp-preteen/young teen b

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 4:34 pm
If you can't afford $2000 x 2 boys for sleep away camp, what are you doing?
(7th and 9th graders)
Just curious

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 4:35 pm
I imagine boys that age can work and that's fine as well.
Also.. Day camp costs 2k.. You sure sleepaway is that cheap?
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you can't afford $2000 x 2 boys for sleep away camp, what are you doing?
(7th and 9th graders)
Just curious

mha3484

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:46 pm
Where I live AMW where a lot of boys go is $2400 and you can apply for scholarships so 2k is pretty accurate. If you apply to the local federation, they also give money for camp.

For a 7th grader I would look for scholarships to see if sending him is possible. I dont know what kind of jobs are available for a 7th grader.

A 9th grader could work in a day camp.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:47 pm
Day camp for seventh grader.

Scholarships for sleeepaway

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:51 pm
Ds works in a local day camp.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:00 pm
I clicked on the thread not realizing it was for boys camps
I was that age and my parents couldn’t afford camp. One summer my mother sent me to camp sternberg. It’s a federation camp which meant steep scholarships. They have a boys division- Magen Av. Maybe you can look into that. It might be half the price. All the other summers I worked in camp as a mothers helper and in the camp infirmary. It was fun. Not the same as being a camper but still good to go away.

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:05 pm
$2k is the price per half?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:26 pm
I will look into scholarships.
My older son will not want to work, he feels that he works hard all year...

amother
Rainbow

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:27 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I was that age and my parents couldn’t afford camp. One summer my mother sent me to camp sternberg. It’s a federation camp which meant steep scholarships. They have a boys division- Magen Av. Maybe you can look into that. It might be half the price. All the other summers I worked in camp as a mothers helper and in the camp infirmary. It was fun. Not the same as being a camper but still good to go away.
I don't think this is still a federation camp.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:27 pm

I don't think Sternberg is a Federation camp anymore

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:35 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
I don't think Sternberg is a Federation camp anymore

How about Magen av and Dora Golding?

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:36 pm
A few ideas call your child's school and speak with whoever you feel comfortable and let them know that your son is trying to get into camp and you can't afford it a lot of times the schools will help out you can also speak to the rabbi of your local synagogue they can help out as well by doing an anonymous appeal and raise money to help out

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:39 pm

That's why I went to Sternberg also. Was there for over 10 years. Loved it. No fashion, no competition, just wholesome fun.
Unfortunately there are no frum federation camps and girls need to pay even as junior staff to go to camp.

mha3484

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:22 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:
$2k is the price per half?

The yeshivish camps only have one half to correspond with bein hazmanim or for elementary boys, school camp.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:42 pm
Are there other boys in your neighborhood that are not going to camp?

If there are a few boys maybe you can get a Rebbi to learn for a little and a pool with a lifeguard for a bit. If you can get a few family's it might be more affordable

amother
Brass

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 10:48 am
Is there a day camp for the 7th grader? Especially is associated with a school, they may be more flexible on scholarships.

For your older son, I agree with the previous poster to try and team up with at least 1-2 other boys his age who are not at camp and see if they can do things together. A few ideas:

Swimming - is there a local pool with men's/boys hours?
Bowling - is there a bowling alley near you where you pay a fee and can get unlimited play?
Biking - find some good trails and the boys can really spend a long time busy with that.
Building/woodworking, like a picnic table or a tree house. Costs some $$$, but still way less than overnight camp and can keep boys busy for days.

amother
Topaz

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 11:28 am
Mogen Av closed down. They rent out to Camp Maaminim now.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics