Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Overnight camps for BY girls - easiest/hardest to get into

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 4:44 pm
I wanted to see what I'm up against for next summer in terms of trying to get my first daughter into overnight camp. Of these options that I've heard of (for BY girl, not chassidish), which are our best shot? How many should we apply to? Feel free to add any I am missing.

Ahuvah
Agudah Midwest
Agudah Toronto
Bais Yaakov
Bnos
Bnos Ruach Chaim
Chaviva
Kolos
Lehava
Maarava
Marom
MTM
Ohr Chedva
Palgei Mayim
Raninu
Sternberg
Tehilla
Tubby

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:11 pm
Sviva
Bais yaakov of the Rockies

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:14 pm
Camp Malka (second half is more OOT then first half)

amother
Garnet

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:15 pm
if you don't have connections, sent older child, chances are you won't get in to maarava or agudah midwest. we applied day of and got waitlisted. was told to expect that.

Are you sure you consider Sternberg Bais Yaakov- don't get that impression nowadays but could be wrong.

sweet

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:56 pm
If your not heimish then I wouldn't send my daughter to camp tubby or palgai.

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:27 pm
Agudah of Toronto is easier to get into because they were closed for the past 2 sumners because of Covid. They reopened this summer with a nice crowd but kind of had to rebuild. Very down to earth not jappy girls.

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:44 pm
I think you should narrow down your options. Not all these camps are ideal for every single bais yakov girl. I suggest doing some preliminary research and cutting your list at least in half.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:44 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
If your not heimish then I wouldn't send my daughter to camp tubby or palgai.

Second half is a nice mix crowd, girls that go to the school associated with the camp, lakewood and even from Israel.
First half is more heimish but still a mix

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:46 pm
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
I think you should narrow down your options. Not all these camps are ideal for every single bais yakov girl. I suggest doing some preliminary research and cutting your list at least in half.

A lot depends on how social your daughter is, how jappy/materialistic vs out of town she is, what kind of activities she likes, how frum she is (will she feel comfortable with girls talking about movies, secular books etc etc etc.)

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:50 pm
We got into Tehilla with no ‘pull’ applied the day applications were emailed. It’s not a guarantee but applying on day one helps with a lot of camps.
We heard BRC was very hard to get into.
As others said there’s a big range of types here. Are you sure your dd will feel comfortable in all of them?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:07 pm
I got mine into bnos this year. Applied for second half which is usually easier to get in. And I applied late.

sweet

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:12 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
Second half is a nice mix crowd, girls that go to the school associated with the camp, lakewood and even from Israel.

Theres only 1 half this summer at palgai

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:31 pm
These camps have small nuanced differences, narrow them down according to what type you are or want. Sternberg is not a BY camp exclusively-they accept all types including MO but it’s a fantastic camp. Ohr chedvah is JPF/5towns/Flatbush I believe. Bnos and Chavivah are BY. Camp Dina is sister camp to Dora Golding I think leans more modern. I had no issue at all getting in to Sternberg or Ohr Chedvah.
Just as an example Sternberg has more lenient Tznius rules ( short socks r ok) this year im sending to Ohr Chedvah she’ll have the same rules she’s used to from the school year ( knee socks and coved elbows all the time). It’s a personal decision
Also forgot Raninu is a really great camp typical BY
But these camps will most likely have many campers from homes with tvs

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:34 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
which school is associate with the camp?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children