Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Is oatmeal considered a healthy breakfast?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:42 pm
I eat it for breakfast with blueberries or a banana

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:43 pm
It is for most people. If you're allergic or insulin resistant, it might not be, but since you haven't indicated as such, I'll say with almost complete certainty that it is healthy.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:45 pm
Sure, if it's not full of sugar. Those instant flavored packets usually are.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:47 pm
What type? Steel Cut Oats, Rolled / Old-Fashioned Oats, Quick Oats, Instant Oats?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:48 pm
Old fashioned oats. Sometimes quick oats

ImmaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:54 pm
Your best bet is unflavored and add your own fruit.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:03 pm
Steel-Cut Oats and Rolled oats/old-fashioned oats have many beneficial compounds, including antioxidants, soluble fiber, and beta-glucan. The beta-glucan in oats is effective at lowering both “bad” LDL and total cholesterol. Oat fiber may have additional benefits - helping to control blood sugar, improve insulin sensitivity, and even lower blood pressure.

When preparing the oats don’t add any sugar. Add some blueberries for flavor.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:15 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:
Steel-Cut Oats and Rolled oats/old-fashioned oats have many beneficial compounds, including antioxidants, soluble fiber, and beta-glucan. The beta-glucan in oats is effective at lowering both “bad” LDL and total cholesterol. Oat fiber may have additional benefits - helping to control blood sugar, improve insulin sensitivity, and even lower blood pressure.

How do quick oats compare to old fashioned oats in terms of health?

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:23 pm
I consider it a healthy option, if you add sugar etc than not necessarily.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:27 pm
amother [ Banana ] wrote:

Or cinnamon. No added sugar apple sauce or other fruit sauce. Slivered almonds for protein.

I forgot. I pour in milk and let it soften. No cooking.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

rakcna

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:31 pm
My favorite breakfast that I ate almost everyday while nursing as part of a healthy diet that was conscious of micronutrients, macronutrients, and caloric content (lost 80 lbs):

1/2 Cup old fashioned/steel cut oats
1/2 Cup almond milk
1/2-1 Cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons peanut powder

Combine and leave in the fridge 8-36 hours. It will be creamy and filling.

Full of galactagogues, fiber, protein, healthy fat, and flavor. If I was in the mood, I added some good dark chocolate for some magnesium and antioxidants, some sliced banana, or some dried cranberries.

As a plus, if you are pregnant/nursing, there is evidence to suggest that this can provide microexposure to three common allergens (dairy, almond, peanut) to prevent severe allergies. This should be done with guidance from an allergist/immunologist in cases of severe familial allergies.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:40 pm
rakcna wrote:
My favorite breakfast that I ate almost everyday while nursing as part of a healthy diet that was conscious of micronutrients, macronutrients, and caloric content (lost 80 lbs):

1/2 Cup old fashioned/steel cut oats
1/2 Cup almond milk
1/2-1 Cup plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons peanut powder

Combine and leave in the fridge 8-36 hours. It will be creamy and filling.

Full of galactagogues, fiber, protein, healthy fat, and flavor. If I was in the mood, I added some good dark chocolate for some magnesium and antioxidants, some sliced banana, or some dried cranberries.

As a plus, if you are pregnant/nursing, there is evidence to suggest that this can provide microexposure to three common allergens (dairy, almond, peanut) to prevent severe allergies. This should be done with guidance from an allergist/immunologist in cases of severe familial allergies.

If I put steel cut oats in the fridge raw for 36 hours soaking in the above liquid it will be soft, or do I need to cook it? I have heard of overnight oats with old fashioned oats, but I want to know if the same concept works with steel cut oats.

rakcna

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 6:42 pm
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
If I put steel cut oats in the fridge raw for 36 hours soaking in the above liquid it will be soft, or do I need to cook it? I have heard of overnight oats with old fashioned oats, but I want to know if the same concept works with steel cut oats.

The same concept. This is overnight oats. I make it two days at a time

lamplighter

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:07 pm
Is there a way to do this with hot oatmeal? Cold oatmeal grosses me out.

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:07 pm
I consider it medium healthy.

Only gluten free and organic oats.

Best if they’re soaked and or sprouted.

And because they’re so high in carbs, try to have it with plenty of fat and protein so as not to spike blood sugar.

I do this for my kids. They eat it with blueberries, cinnamon and a drop of maple syrup. Personally, for myself I stick to proteins and fats like eggs, avocado. I find that a half hour after eating oatmeal I’m hungry again.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:16 pm
Quick oats arnt less healthy than old fashioned. They just cut it finer so that it cooks faster. It doesn’t have any less nutrients
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise