Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do your newborns sleep like this? Am I on another planet??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

How do your newborns tend to sleep?
They sleep as well (or better) than the ones in the videos.  
 21%  [ 17 ]
I feel like those videos are from another planet.  
 36%  [ 29 ]
Somewhere in the middle- they sleep pretty well but not quite like the videos.  
 10%  [ 8 ]
Some of my babies slept that well, while others were more difficult.  
 31%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 79

happy chick

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:07 am
yea, wishful thinking. baby aisde, she looks like shes been taking pretty good care of herself. when my babies are 2 weeks old, I look like a hurricane hit.

toysrus

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:11 am
Someone gave me the best tip, after feeding put the baby on it's side with a rolled up towel in front and behind to support him , that way they can safely bring up a burp on their own, game-changing

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:13 am
Formula fed babies will generally sleep much better than breastfed babies

My formula fed babies sleep like a dream (better than the videos lol

toysrus

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:19 am
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:

Could be an individual thing, my formula fed babies didn't sleep at all like you're describing

amother
Molasses

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:33 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Totally depends on the baby's temperament!
As an experienced Mommy I've had some of each!
And unfortunately it does carry through to their temperament as they get older...

Ha! That's true. But why, "unfortunately"?
My kids were not "easy" babies and weren't easy to parent as small children but are turning into high energy, driven, successful go getters! (Half are adults, half are still teens)

tichellady

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:41 am
My first barely slept at all. We would literally be up all night. My second was much easier to soothe after a feeding ( not right away but after a month or so) but would nurse every 2 hours or so. Neither took long naps and I always felt exhausted and like I had no time to myself

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 12:40 pm
DD screamed bloody murder for the first 4 months of her life, and only slept for 45 minutes at a time. No sleep at all during the night, just screaming. She had a weak latch, was allergic to almost every formula on the market, and was failure to thrive. Add severe colic into the mix, and we were both completely miserable.

When I finally found a formula that worked for her, she finally started gaining weight and the first time she slept for 6 hours straight I had to keep checking on her, because I just couldn't believe it.

In other words, hang in there. It gets better. Just make sure that you get lots of emotional support, and some help with making dinners, etc. Hug

motherfrmisrael

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 3:45 pm
the video is a whole 10 minutes and edited... so unreliable

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 3:51 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:

My completely breastfed babies slept amazing. It’s totally dependent on the baby. Although some formula babies are overfed hence the deep sleep.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 3:55 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
My completely breastfed babies slept amazing. It’s totally dependent on the baby. Although some formula babies are overfed hence the deep sleep.

No it's a true generalization (meaning, OBVIOUSLY NOT TRUE EVERY TIME). 'Good' is a very subjective term but formula fed babies tend to sleep longer stretches because breastmilk is more quickly and easily digested.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 3:59 pm
I only have one and he didn’t sleep longer than 10 min at a time I was miserable. He’s Bh 7 months now and he goes to sleep at 8, wakes up once or twice to nurse but sleeps well otherwise bh

4g01o

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 4:10 pm
toysrus wrote:
Could be an individual thing, my formula fed babies didn't sleep at all like you're describing

Same here.
My last one has been a disaster baby! Colic/reflux. Something terrible...
Bh he's just started getting better at 9 months. It's been seriously exhausting and has taken a toll on our marriage too but we'll be ok, we know it's just temporary iyh.
Formula fed from day one, like 3 of my others and they've all been refluxy etc. Besides 1 who at 2 months old found her thumb bh! She slept really well from then at night. The day she was a different story...
Every baby is different but unfortunately I never experienced this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:50 pm
Ok, so I see some have super easy babies, but I am far from alone!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:51 pm
amother [ Mocha ] wrote:
I only have one and he didn’t sleep longer than 10 min at a time I was miserable. He’s Bh 7 months now and he goes to sleep at 8, wakes up once or twice to nurse but sleeps well otherwise bh

That's more of what I am used to. By the time they are 5-6 months old, their digestive systems are more mature and they are more comfortable and start sleeping better.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:58 pm
I don't know what "most babies" are like. I have two autistic children who didn't sleep the whole night before 15 months. One kid put herself to sleep starting 6 weeks once reflux cleared up. My current baby was always a good sleeper as long as she was clean and fed, from day one. But she is a textbook baby

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 9:56 pm
Every baby is different, and so is every mom. My sister said if all her kids had been as easy as her youngest, she'd have had twice as many, while my BFF, whose first was like a poster child for having kids, was shocked--shocked, I tell you--when her next one never slept, had colic for months, didn't eat, bit her, etc. etc. Just as you have some women whose labor pangs are on a par with getting a cavity filled while others are on a par with getting run over by a Mack truck

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:36 pm
Do such babies really exist or is it just in edited videos???
I'm dumbstruck!

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 10:49 pm
amother [ Poppy ] wrote:
Every baby is different, and so is every mom. My sister said if all her kids had been as easy as her youngest, she'd have had twice as many, while my BFF, whose first was like a poster child for having kids, was shocked--shocked, I tell you--when her next one never slept, had colic for months, didn't eat, bit her, etc. etc. Just as you have some women whose labor pangs are on a par with getting a cavity filled while others are on a par with getting run over by a Mack truck

I consider labor/childbirth to be very hard work, and not particularly comfortable--but I think I do a lot better with that than with getting cavities filled, at least in terms of others' reactions for both lol. My midwife thought I did great but my dentist constantly paused to ask if I was sure I was doing ok. She totally saw through my façade of pretending I could totally handle dental work like a normal adult lol. My mother also has always had dentist phobia but very into natural birth.

Last edited by BrisketBoss on Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 11:03 pm
The mother in the first video uses a Snoo, which probably accounts for some of it.

Mayflower

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 8:00 am
I only watched the first video. Looks very unrealistic to me, not only the fact that her baby doesn't seem to cry at all and goes straight back to sleep when she puts him down, but also how she gets up every three hours to change him (why?) and the fact that he only nurses for 10 minutes. I've never heard of that for a newborn...mine always take at least 40 minutes, the first 6 weeks.

That said two of my babies were actually quite easy during the night. My last baby fussed in the evening hours but then started her night around 11 and slept for 4-5 hours straight (yes, even as a newborn!), so I basically only had 1 nighttime feeding from when she was 2-3 weeks. She started sleeping through the night (11PM-6AM) at 6 weeks.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics