Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Attempt to explain magnesium

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 1:05 am
I just dont get it.

lets see if anyone on here can explain it clear enough for my thick brain to understand.

one of my kids is deficient in magnesium.

there are so many diff types of magnesiums out there how should I know which one to choose?

not only that, but what type of magnesium is in food? for eg in avocado can all these different types magnesium be found complete in avocado?

then there is finding a good company but first, I cannot understand magnesium...

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 1:13 am
Nuts, seeds, whole grains, beans, leafy vegetables, milk, yogurt and fortified foods are good sources of magnesium.
Magnesium complex supplements combine different forms of magnesium.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 1:16 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
Nuts, seeds, whole grains, beans, leafy vegetables, milk, yogurt and fortified foods are good sources of magnesium.
Magnesium complex supplements combine different forms of magnesium.

these diff forms are found complete I these foods or nuts has one type, yogurt has another type etc?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 3:12 am
Magnesium is an element and needs to be bound to another molecule for it to be stable. The different molecules it can be bound to will make it different levels of bioavailable, meaning how easy it will be for her body to break down and actually use. Magnesium in food is generally highly bioavailable because to food (plant or animal) is designed to uptake it for their own needs and it’s already metabolized. The downside to food sources is that you don’t know how much your getting. Even foods that traditionally are rich in magnesium are now depleted because of soil depletion and other reasons. Good forms of lab made magnesium are malate, taurate, threonate, orotate. Citrate and oxide, which is what most mag supplements are, won’t be absorbed well, which is why they work as a laxative. Magnesium glycinate is bioavailable but the glycine isn’t great for some people. Magnesium chloride is good as a topical form.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 4:11 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Magnesium is an element and needs to be bound to another molecule for it to be stable. The different molecules it can be bound to will make it different levels of bioavailable, meaning how easy it will be for her body to break down and actually use. Magnesium in food is generally highly bioavailable because to food (plant or animal) is designed to uptake it for their own needs and it’s already metabolized. The downside to food sources is that you don’t know how much your getting. Even foods that traditionally are rich in magnesium are now depleted because of soil depletion and other reasons. Good forms of lab made magnesium are malate, taurate, threonate, orotate. Citrate and oxide, which is what most mag supplements are, won’t be absorbed well, which is why they work as a laxative. Magnesium glycinate is bioavailable but the glycine isn’t great for some people. Magnesium chloride is good as a topical form.

congrats to you! for explaining so I finally got it!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 4:14 am
is remag the best on the market?

at one point I gave it but my nutritionist for some reason decided its too strog

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 4:17 am
Remag is magnesium chloride. It is very potent and can throw off electrolyte levels. Start low and slow if you’ll be using that. And if you notice and adverse effects you may want to start with potassium or adrenal cocktails first.

The mag gurus usually recommend getting your full amount of mg per day split between a few different forms. Too much of any one form can mess with things.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 5:07 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Remag is magnesium chloride. It is very potent and can throw off electrolyte levels. Start low and slow if you’ll be using that. And if you notice and adverse effects you may want to start with potassium or adrenal cocktails first.

The mag gurus usually recommend getting your full amount of mg per day split between a few different forms. Too much of any one form can mess with things.

its really one form of magnesium. magnesium is magnesium just bound to something for absorption so why do I need diff types?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 5:51 am
What about avoiding the foods that deplete? Sugar Dairy...

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jun 24 2022, 6:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
its really one form of magnesium. magnesium is magnesium just bound to something for absorption so why do I need diff types?
because the different types help them do different things in the body. Too much chloride isn’t good. You get a lot of chloride with the magnesium.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 10:01 am
why cant they make a magnesium with a few compounds ( the absorbable ones) in one?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 10:40 am
miriam adahan just wrote in thats an idea hamodia that the best absorbed is threonate?

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 10:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
miriam adahan just wrote in thats an idea hamodia that the best absorbed is threonate?
the only one that’s proven to cross the blood brain barrier.

But she isn’t necessarily the magnesium expert.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jul 01 2022, 10:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
why cant they make a magnesium with a few compounds ( the absorbable ones) in one?
There are some. Look into smidge and jigsaw health

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 2:15 am
so of all of them is threonate the best?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 2:26 am
I was advised by nutritionist a while ago thorne research citramate - its citrate and malate combined.

why do they advise this?

shouldnt they be the first to know which are absorbable?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 1:03 pm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magne.....OZM0R

anyone use this?

is this considered top of the range?

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 7:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnesium-L-Threonate-90-bottle-Mercola/dp/B01N4OZM0R

anyone use this?

is this considered top of the range?
This looks like a good product.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 7:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was advised by nutritionist a while ago thorne research citramate - its citrate and malate combined.

why do they advise this?

shouldnt they be the first to know which are absorbable?
Unfortunately even nutritionists are not always up to date on nutrition sciences.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics