Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
What do you do with your 3 year old sons hair?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you pay for the hair according to its weight?
Yes  
 2%  [ 2 ]
No  
 97%  [ 68 ]
Total Votes : 70

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:33 pm
My mother kept all my brothers’ hair for years from their upsherin. Until a gadol told her that hair = din and she should throw it out asap. I threw my sons beautiful long hair in the garbage .

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:52 pm
OP, do you have twin boys?
It's close to the price of what you'd be paying for a Takana wedding in Lakewood LOL

My sons probably averaged 2 oz of hair but we're litvish and I never heard of this Minhag and my youngest boy is nearly 11...

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 5:54 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
My mother kept all my brothers’ hair for years from their upsherin. Until a gadol told her that hair = din and she should throw it out asap. I threw my sons beautiful long hair in the garbage .
What does hair=din mean? Can’t keep hair? I’ve seen people put hair in shadow boxes.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 7:09 pm
Something along the lines that hair and nails brings din/ judgement on a person. Which is why ppl keep these short. They also both have a level of Tumah which is why one should wash negel vasser after cutting hair and nails.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jul 03 2022, 8:48 pm
OP: Who on earth told you this and where did they instruct you to donate the money to?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 12:25 am
We are Satmar in Monroe, and gasp, we have heard of this minhag! A very smart fundraiser for the local Kollel unearthed this ancient minhag and calls parents the day of upsheren to suggest making the donation. He comes to your house with a scale to weigh the hair. It's not obligatory.

Our family throws the hair into the medurah on rashbis kever in meron. Doesn't have to be the year of the upsheren, can be any lag baomer.

dena613

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 8:56 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
OP: Who on earth told you this and where did they instruct you to donate the money to?

Yes, I'm thinking this as well. I have a feeling you weren't raised in the orthodoxy (chassidus?) you currently practice, and someone is unfortunately pulling shtick.

I wouldn't trust the person who is trying to get thousands of dollars from you.

I think it's very telling when vast vast majority of people on this site have never heard of such a thing, and even those who have, have never heard of such amounts.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 12:50 am
Iheard of this minhag. But it's the idea not the value. So do it in cents. Dollars. Shekels or pounds. If I remember correctly we gave 25$ to tzeduka. But if u have the funds go ahead why not

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Jul 05 2022, 12:53 am
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
What does hair=din mean? Can’t keep hair? I’ve seen people put hair in shadow boxes.

My mil gave my dh upsherin hair as gift??!!
Eewww
Never got this keeping business
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics