Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
What can I leave in the oven for lunch?
Previous  1  2

elisheva25

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 9:37 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Found this on Chabad.org so I know I'm not dreaming. (And I also know not everyone holds this way. Will get absolute clarification tomorrow).

6:1 The Definition of Shehiya

From the point of view of Bishul on Shabbos, there is no prohibition whatsoever in leaving a raw food or unboiled liquid on an open flame on Erev Shabbos so that it gradually cooks on Shabbos itself, since the Bishul occurs of its own accord. However, Chazal were concerned that on Shabbos a person may come to speed up the cooking process of raw or uncooked foods by stoking the fire — an Av Melachah of Mav’ir. Chazal therefore forbade leaving uncooked food on a cooker in the normal manner. The reason for this prohibition is called Gezeirah Shema Yechate, which means “a decree perhaps you may come to stoke the fire” and the prohibition itself is called Shehiya.

In order to leave uncooked food on the cooker, Chazal made a rule that the fire must be covered. Once the fire has been covered, there is no prohibition of Shehiya. The reason for this is that the covering of the fire indicates that the person does not wish to have a strong flame and this will remind the person not to increase the flame. A covered flame is called “Ketuma.”1

6:2 Which Fires Need Covering

a) Gas and electric ranges

Nowadays when most cooking is done on a gas or electric2 range, the common custom is to cover the flames with an aluminum sheet3 called a “blech.”4 Preferably the controls for the flames should also be covered,5 either by the blech itself or with a piece of aluminum foil.6

b) Electric hot plate

In general there are two different types of hot plates available on the market:

1. There are hot plates that do not have a temperature range, rather, once the hot plate is turned on, it maintains a constant temperature. With such a hot plate there is no worry that one will come to increase the fire since there is no possibility of increasing the fire and such a hot plate therefore requires no covering.7

2. A hot plate with a variable temperature range needs to be covered with a sheet of foil.8 The same would apply to a warming cupboard with a variable temperature range.9

c) Crock Pots

Crock pots or slow cookers that have variable temperature ranges10 are subject to the laws of Shehiya and foil should be placed between the outer cooker and the inner pot.11

d) Oven

The halachic status of an oven is rather different from that of a cooker in that the food in an oven is not placed directly on a flame, rather, the flame (in a gas oven, or the electric element in an electric oven) is at the rear of the oven (or in the roof of the oven as is the case of some electric ovens) and the food is cooked due to the heat of the air in the oven.

There is a discussion among the Poskim as to how to achieve the state of Ketuma in an oven. Some Poskim write that the only way to achieve Ketuma is by using an oven insert, I.e., a metal box placed inside the oven that acts as a barrier from all sides (or alternatively covering all the sides and base of the oven with foil). Other Poskim write that Ketuma is achieved a) by covering one of the walls of the oven with foil and b) by covering the controls.

Due to this difference of opinion as to how to achieve Ketuma in an oven, one should always place only fully cooked food in an oven thereby avoiding the need for the oven to be Ketuma.12

Ok I’ve also learned ( and do this ) putting raw cholent ( in crock pot )right before Shabbos .
Can you or someone else clarify based on this article, does same apply to ovens ?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 10:09 am
Amarante wrote:
This is a variation on cholent using chicken and rice - I have a variation using chicken thighs instead of whole chicken if anyone is interested.

T’BIT | Stuffed Chicken and Rice Hamin with Honey and Spices

Excerpt From: Janna Gur - Jewish Soul Food

IRAQI

Made of beans, beef, and starchy vegetables, Shabbat casseroles are pretty heavy. Iraqi t’bit is different. It has all the comforting essence of a very slowly cooked pot roast, but because it is made with chicken and rice (rather than beef and beans), it is considerably lighter. Just imagine how delicious the chicken tastes after it spends the night in the oven wrapped in a blanket of fragrant rice. You can make it with a whole chicken or with chicken parts. Here are both versions to start you off.

Since the rice cooks for such a long time, this is a perfect recipe in which to use brown rice instead of white and make your Shabbat lunch more nutritious.

Serves 6

For the stuffing

2 cups long-grain white rice or parboiled brown rice
4 tomatoes, grated
1 large onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
1 to 2 tablespoons baharat spice mix
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 heaping teaspoon dried mint
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the chicken

1 whole chicken (3 pounds/1½ kg)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chicken stock or water

T’bit 1 (With Whole Chicken)

1. Prepare the stuffing Mix together the rice, tomatoes, onion, garlic (if using), baharat, vegetable oil, mint, salt, and pepper.

2. Prepare the chicken Fill the chicken’s cavity with one-quarter of the stuffing and secure it with toothpicks or a trussing needle and thread.

3. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting lid and brown the stuffed chicken on all sides, about 15 minutes.

4. Arrange the remaining stuffing around the chicken, so that the chicken is half buried in it. Pour the chicken stock over and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed by the rice.

5. Preheat the oven to 215°F (100°C).

6. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place in the oven to cook for at least 8 hours or overnight.

VARIATION

This doesn’t comply with strict Shabbat rules, but if you want crisp chicken skin and brown crust on the rice, remove the lid and raise the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C) for 15 minutes before serving.

To Parboil Brown Rice

Parboiling improves the texture of brown rice and enables you to use it in any recipe that calls for white rice. To cook 3 cups brown rice, bring to a boil 6 to 7 cups water with 2 to 3 teaspoons salt. Add the rice and boil for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain. Refrigerate if it will be more than a couple hours before you use it.

This sounds delicious. I'd try it just for a regular weekday. I know a lot of people make chicken cholent and similar for shabbos but I've had no mazel with that - find the chicken to be way to dried out for my liking, even when submerged in liquid.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 10:13 am
elisheva25 wrote:
Ok I’ve also learned ( and do this ) putting raw cholent ( in crock pot )right before Shabbos .
Can you or someone else clarify based on this article, does same apply to ovens ?

Spoke to my (Chabad) rabbi and according to him raw meat in the oven just before licht Bentschen is NOT okay. I've no idea how others hold so ask your own rabbi if in doubt.

So back to the pastrami....
Any way to leave it already cooked in the oven at 200 (maybe my oven even goes lower, have to check) and not destroy it?

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 10:23 am
MiracleMama wrote:
This sounds delicious. I'd try it just for a regular weekday. I know a lot of people make chicken cholent and similar for shabbos but I've had no mazel with that - find the chicken to be way to dried out for my liking, even when submerged in liquid.

I added as an option but I think it would make a great dish to make in a crock pot just for the weekday.

The recipe is from a very interesting cookbook called Jewish Soul - From Minsk to Marrakesh which has recipes from Jewish communities around the 'world". Iraqi, Turkish, Moroccan, Indian. Libyan, Persian, Israeli, Syrian, Hungarian, Russian, Libyan, Bukharan. Tunisian

I have been cooking Moroccan for awhile but not necessarily "Jewish Moroccan" and of course I have eaten a lot of Persian because of the huge Persian community in Los Angeles but I am less familiar with the other Sephardic cuisines although I am experimenting.

cbg

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 10:36 am
MiracleMama wrote:
LOL, I don't know. I just feel like I heard this when learning hilchos shabbos. And so I've never done it. (Though truthfully I usually need my oven for Friday night too so it wouldn't even work on a typical week). Maybe I dreamed it. In any case when I get clarification from my rabbi I will report back.

This is what I learned
If you need your oven for Friday Night
Before Shabbos put a knife so that the door stays slightly ajar (WARNING - DANGER FOR LITTLE KIDS) .
After you finish serving Friday Night remove the knife and close the oven door.
This what Shabbos lunch will be the first and only time you open the oven
You can only open the oven 1 time if it’s on
This is what I learned years ago

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 10:41 am
elisheva25 wrote:

I think that’s what miraclemama was going to speak to her rabbi about.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 11:31 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Spoke to my (Chabad) rabbi and according to him raw meat in the oven just before licht Bentschen is NOT okay. I've no idea how others hold so ask your own rabbi if in doubt.

So back to the pastrami....
Any way to leave it already cooked in the oven at 200 (maybe my oven even goes lower, have to check) and not destroy it?

So start it earlier at 200, so that it's more than half/two-thirds cooked by the time shabbos starts?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 1:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
So start it earlier at 200, so that it's more than half/two-thirds cooked by the time shabbos starts?

Definitely going to try this - but another week when I don't have company.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus