Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
PJOurWay books review thread
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 13  14  15  Next

happy chick

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 5:59 pm
something about the pinky bloom book isnt sitting well with me, not sure why.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 6:44 pm
happy chick wrote:
something about the pinky bloom book isnt sitting well with me, not sure why.

The fact that it's from Kar Ben Publishing makes me hesitate

happy chick

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 6:49 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
The fact that it's from Kar Ben Publishing makes me hesitate

enlighten me, please. what is kar-ben publishing?

pizzapie

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 7:35 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I remember thinking that the toilet paper book was cute. Don't remember if there were inappropriate parts in there, though. My kids never ended up reading it

I'm hesitating because I'd rather not own a book that is heavy on bathroom humor. Can anyone weigh in?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 7:48 pm
happy chick wrote:
enlighten me, please. what is kar-ben publishing?

It's a liberal Jewish publisher.
I saw this on an interview with the editors:
I feel like I’m repeating myself, but the Jewish community is no longer monolithic and we need to acknowledge the diversity–intermarriage with and without conversion, adoption, single-parent families, gay families
And in the same article, about a specific book:
Intermarriage is a fact of life in the Jewish community, and this book acknowledges that family members of different religions can love and learn from one another.

Definitely not the values I want to teach my kids. The books aren't great quality anyway

Amelia Bedelia

Post Mon, Jul 04 2022, 7:49 pm
pizzapie wrote:
I'm hesitating because I'd rather not own a book that is heavy on bathroom humor. Can anyone weigh in?

I don't think it had bathroom humor

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 10:38 am
Sad how sometimes there are no good books and sometimes you don't know which one to choose. I don't know if any of these are *good* books per se, but they all look like something I'd be willing to try. I'm picking the toilet paper one for one kid and unsure which to do for the second.

seeker

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 10:39 am
I usually choose by doing "preview the first chapter" in addition to the parent guide but I just really don't have time for that right now

happy chick

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 1:38 pm
has anyone ever read the levi strauss book? any feedback?

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 3:27 pm
After getting several books I wasn't comfortable with, I decided that my older children would not get the next level. We go to a local library and pick out books. I don't have any interest in censoring books. I hate throwing out books and at least with library books I can return them if my kid points out something weird.

pizzapie

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 3:32 pm
gootlfriends wrote:
After getting several books I wasn't comfortable with, I decided that my older children would not get the next level. We go to a local library and pick out books. I don't have any interest in censoring books. I hate throwing out books and at least with library books I can return them if my kid points out something weird.

What I like about pj our way is that you only receive a book if you choose one. There have been months where we chose nothing and some months where we chose 2 (I have two children receiving books). Hence this thread Tongue Out

seeker

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 10:15 am
I understand and have considered dropping out because often I order a book that looks ok but I want to preview it and then don't get around to it and it feels wasteful. But sometimes there are really nice books... I dunno. For now, when I get around to it we get books and otherwise... *shrug*

I didn't read the Levi Strauss book but it's part of the Who/What/Where series which I have liked a lot of. Obviously I'm not getting my kid a "Who Was" book about a person who represents something I am against, but in general they're mild and informational. I would feel safe getting one about a businessman from the 1800s. My main reason for not definitely choosing it is that my kids are above the reading level of that series.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Jul 08 2022, 10:20 am
pizzapie wrote:
What I like about pj our way is that you only receive a book if you choose one. There have been months where we chose nothing and some months where we chose 2 (I have two children receiving books). Hence this thread Tongue Out

Same I don’t invest a lot of time on it. If there’s something obviously good and appropriate then great I get it, if it looks probably good sometimes I order and decide when it comes but if not I move on until next month.
Most months I get nothing but it’s worth the short investment of time for the occasional good one.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 7:39 pm
I just read the " house with 2 doors" book. It does make mention of the kalla adina going to mikva.

seeker

Post Sat, Jul 16 2022, 8:30 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
I just read the " house with 2 doors" book. It does make mention of the kalla adina getting undressed/ going to mikva.

Thanks for the details

mamaleh

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 3:24 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
It's a liberal Jewish publisher.
I saw this on an interview with the editors:
I feel like I’m repeating myself, but the Jewish community is no longer monolithic and we need to acknowledge the diversity–intermarriage with and without conversion, adoption, single-parent families, gay families
And in the same article, about a specific book:
Intermarriage is a fact of life in the Jewish community, and this book acknowledges that family members of different religions can love and learn from one another.

Definitely not the values I want to teach my kids. The books aren't great quality anyway

Another book from them this month! Thanks for posting this info so I know I don’t want that one.

Trying to decide between Sasquatch & The Lost Spy. Any opinions?

happy chick

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 3:34 pm
mamaleh wrote:
Another book from them this month! Thanks for posting this info so I know I don’t want that one.

Trying to decide between Sasquatch & The Lost Spy. Any opinions?

I notices that too. But the book looks like one my daughter might like.

asmileaday

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 6:30 pm
Honestly, I'm thinking of just canceling my subscription. The last 2 books I got are just so dumb. I really dislike the way they throw in a yiddish word here and there as if that's what makes the kid Jewish. I prefer that my kids read completely secular books without pretending the characters are Jewish because they eat a challah Friday night while watching tv....

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 9:22 am
Great selections this month! I chose Faraway Summer and Shloimie's Letter.

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Sep 01 2022, 9:25 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Great selections this month! I chose Faraway Summer and Shloimie's Letter.

I chose those too but then I checked kosherbooks.org and faraway summer had questionable reviews. So I switched to the ghost in apt 2R( not that I know if that is any better).
Page 7 of 15   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 13  14  15  Next Recent Topics