Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Submitting to two magazines

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 7:48 am
Is it possible?
Generally, when submitting an article, I lose my rights to it, correct? Any way to get around it?
I’m unsure whether to submit the piece to a printed magazine or online magazine. I’m wondering if there’s a way to do both…

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 8:48 am
Double publishing is the quickest way to ensure you'll never be published again. That is, if you do it behind the publishers' backs. If you discuss it with them and they are okay with double publishing, then it's fine.

The rights also remain with the writer unless you sign a contract stating you are signing them away.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 1:55 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Double publishing is the quickest way to ensure you'll never be published again. That is, if you do it behind the publishers' backs. If you discuss it with them and they are okay with double publishing, then it's fine.

The rights also remain with the writer unless you sign a contract stating you are signing them away.

I would let them know before. What good is retaining the rights if I can’t publish them elsewhere?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 1:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I would let them know before. What good is retaining the rights if I can’t publish them elsewhere?

They can't use it again without your consent.

They might allow it if there was no or minimal crossover in the readership of the two magazines.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 2:05 pm
Exactly. Sometimes one publication won't mind if it is local or specific to a certain community, and the second publication is in a distant location or not accessible to the original group of readers.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 2:52 pm
If you submit an article and they don’t publish it you lose your rights?

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 2:54 pm
Bleemee wrote:
If you submit an article and they don’t publish it you lose your rights?

No, but you should formally withdraw it if it's just sitting there and you want to send it elsewhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club