Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Is it better to buy a pet from a store or a farm?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 5:29 pm
I want to avoid bringing home an animal with diseases- does this have any connection to where the animal is from? Are there other reasons to purchase from one place over the other?

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 5:48 pm
From my research, if you find a reputable breeder (I guess that's what you mean by farm?) it's better than a store. They should be able to show the parents' health records, as well as having done some basic testing and early vet visits on the animal itself.

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 10:25 pm
It’s best never to buy a pet because you’re more often than not going to get one from a puppy/kitten mill.

Most shelters or animal rescues are legally required to have their pets checked by a veterinarian.

watergirl

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 10:35 pm
In the States, a “farm” is code word for “puppy mill”. Even if they deny it. And those pets are sicker and more abused than any other. My shelter dogs are way healthier than my puppy mill rescue “from the Amish”.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 10:44 pm
What kind of pet?

For dogs, I prefer stores. I thoroughly check the breeder info, my state is is required to give it, and make sure it has no links to being a mill.

Obviously if you can handle it, a shelter is a great option. From personal experience I find most dogs have a lot of behavioral issues, and you can’t control the dogs background/trauma.

Both options have pros and cons

Store pros are cute puppies, clean slate/no behavioral issues, a lot of options and lineage tracking. Also much easier to find specific breeds, especially if you need hypoallergenic dogs. Cons are possible mills which you don’t want to support and can cause diseases, VERY expensive cost and raising puppies is literally like taking care of a newborn. Think waking up all hours of the night, teething on everything, and also you are then responsible to train.

Shelter pros are giving abandoned dogs a home, and possibly saving from euthanasia. Extremely low cost. Cons are not knowing breeding, possibly having a dog with issues, having less options to choose from.

Be very sure you are ready for whichever option you choose

Not_in_my_town

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 10:46 pm
I would only go with a private breeder certified by one of the large renowned organizations. (This in the case of a dog.)

Far too many "breeders" are places where the animals are severely neglected or abused. Pet stores? Would absolutely never buy an animal from there. It's just about guaranteed to be from an inhuman mill.

amother
Daphne

Post Sat, Jul 09 2022, 11:20 pm
Only buy pets from reputable breeders directly.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 1:05 am
if you are looking for kittens, my relatives friend had her cat give her an entire litter of kittens. My relative took them all in and found homes for most of them. She still got 3 she's trying to place. They have been spayed/neutered and have had their shots.
At the moment they are being taken care of but its been a challenge to take care of them as she is working full time and also has a dog and these kittens and her dog don't get along. So it's a huge challenge.

If you'd like to adopt them, pls lmk. They are absolutely stunning.

1 Female

2 males

nylon

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 1:21 am
For dogs, either a shelter (If you're not fussed about breed) or a reputable breeder. Stores typically get their animals from puppy mills. There are breed specific rescues if you're interested in an adult, but rescues can be picky.

For cats, breed is more about looks than personality. Rescues and shelters are a good source.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 2:43 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
It’s best never to buy a pet because you’re more often than not going to get one from a puppy/kitten mill.

Most shelters or animal rescues are legally required to have their pets checked by a veterinarian.
This. We got our dog from a shelter and we had all of her medical history when we took her home.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jul 10 2022, 3:29 am
While I hear the "adopt don't shop," it doesn't always work. When I was looking for an ESA, I spent months reaching out to 7 shelters, applying for 30+ dogs, and getting no response. I found a reputable breeder, we both did extensive research into each other, and we got a healthy, happy dog.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets